banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any issues to worry about for this pickup configuration?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any issues to worry about for this pickup configuration?

In the coming months I'll be upgrading my late father's cheap Strat. Custom neck, new bridge and pickups! Wondering if these pickups would have any issues to worry about when it comes time to install them?

Bridge-Pearly Gates Trembucker,
    Middle- SVR-1 Vintage Rails
    Neck-Red Devil Neck

Reason for this configuration is I really want slightly hotter PAF tones in the neck and bridge, but keep a nice Strat-esque quack in the middle. My worry is positions 2 and 4 and how they would interact. This would be my first time installing a setup like this so I'm not sure what I should do. Thanks in advance for any advice received!

Re: Any issues to worry about for this pickup configuration?

nothing wrong with the vintage rails but i would get the stks4 classic stack plus instead. better output and a more stratty tone to my ears

Comment

I'm not familiar with the Red Devil, but my advice for your setup is...go for it.
      Originally Posted by IanBallard
      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
        nothing wrong with the vintage rails but i would get the stks4 classic stack plus instead. better output and a more stratty tone to my ears
        The Vintage Rails seems to do great with other Vintage Rails, as there isn't a ton of output. So I agree with the STK-S4 suggestion here. The Vintage Rails is really a big step down in output from the other 2 pickups. The STK-S4 is more balanced.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Regardless of what single coil you choose, I'd suggest getting a couple resistors between 1k-2k so you can "partially split" your humbuckers. They cost pennies, and they make a big difference!

Someone else on the forum recently brought this up, and I realized that its so simple and clever that I felt like a fool for not having done it before. I added this option to TONS of my guitars in the mean time, and my split humbucker sound is MUCH better. It really helps you avoid that gross, overly thin tone you can sometimes get when splitting a humbucker normally, especially ones that aren't overwound.
          Gibson LP, Burstbucker 3 A6, 490R A4
          Gibson LP, Pearly Gates A6, Sentient A4
          Gibson LP BFG, Burstbucker A8, P90
          Gibson SG special T, GFS Crunchy Mini, Gibson mini A3
          Strat SSS, SD STK-6 , SSL1 middle, Bootstrap Sparkle Neck
          Strat HSS hardtail, Perpetual Burn A6, Bootstrap Sparkle mid/neck
          Tele, DMZ Area Hot T, Gibson Mini A3
          Tele, DMZ Pegasus A2, Gibson Mini A3
          Jackson V, SD Pegasus bridge, 490R A5
          PRS SE CU24: Air Norton A2, 490R A3

Comment

Working...