New amp... Blackstar HT-5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New amp... Blackstar HT-5

Hi everyone... so I began putting my toe into the tube amp environment about a month and a half ago. I picked up an Egnater Tweaker 15, which is an all-tube amplifier with 2 power tubes and 2 pre-amp tubes (and one tube in the loop section, I believe). I had some issues with the amp - some probably user error, but potentially some other issues too. The guy I bought it from agree to take the amplifier back. (as an aside, but main issue *I think* was the need for the amplifier to be LOUD to get it to sound right. Much too loud for playing in my basement.)

I still love my solid state and digital amps, but wanted to continue to look for a tube head for not much $$ (right now). I found a Blackstar HT5 5 watt head on Reverb. Got it delivered for less than $150 so it was kind of a no-brainer. I received it last week and man, I really like this thing!!! I think the attractive part is also that this is a tube-hybrid so the sounds are much more accessible. There is a slight warm-up period, but otherwise it just GOES. In addition, it is a two-channel amp with footswitch, which I find as a positive over the Tweaker. I like the tone of the breakup a lot, and with a tube-screamer type pedal it really sounds good.

I like the idea of amplifier head units because it allows you to pair it with different speaker cabinets, which I am really starting to get into... I'm building a 12" cabinet from scratch right now, and looking at a 2x12 cab with some nice plywood I have left over from a previous project.
    -=The Dali
    --== Unabashed Alex Lifeson Fan

Visit My Guitar Building Blog at www.hammersandchords.com

Re: New amp... Blackstar HT-5

I've liked every Blackstar I've plugged into and now own two: An Artisan and an Artist.

These people REALLY know what they're doing.

Most amps don't get the sounds I want to hear, especially the ultra high gain machines that make everyone sound basically the same: that cliched Buzz Fuzz Grind.

The Blackstars can do that but their clean and semi clean sounds are wonderful too.

My Blackstars remind me an AC30.
    “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

My main amp is a Blackstar HT-5R MkII and is also just a head plugged into a 1 x 12 with a Celestion V-Type speaker, which works really well for that amp too. I'm not really into very heavy dirt, but it can passably do that too. They really shine in the medium and light gain. Only thing I don't like about it is not having a 3-way EQ on the clean channel, but it still works well for what it is. For the price, this model is, in my opinion, one of the best you can find.

Comment

the Blackstar is the head my Bugera is a clone of

it should have most of the same specs
        one 12AX7 and one Power tube
        switchable power settings
        emulated headphone/line out

on the speakers
        before you spend a bunch of time on it

look at the 2x12s on the Thomann site
        their Harley Benton Cabs are less than the cost of the Vintage 30 speakers in them
        EHD
        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Yeah, enjoying this amplifier. What I like about it is that even though it is only 5W it LOOKS like a big head! The size is pretty big so it looks cool sitting on the cabinet. The two channel is also very nice to play from my pedalboard.
          -=The Dali

Comment

Congrats!!!

I remember when I first tried the HT-5; after trying a bunch of digital amps. (Boss Katana, Vox digital modelling)-

And I heard the warm, direct clean tone of the HT-5. And the wonderful power stage breakup.

I decided to get the HT-20, because I were afraid of not having enough power, if I met a drummer / bassist- or had to play a small gig without PA.

The HT- series are GREAT amps for the money. They cost half of other 2- channel tube amps... but are very good, for the price... For any poor, bohemian artist...

I'm considering an extension cab for my HT-20 combo.

rock on!!

-Erl
            If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Egnater and Blackstar are very different animals for sure.

One thing I don't like in Blackstar desing I've noticed is that clean is too clean, and dirt is too dirty. One channel, that sits right between two channels of HT-5 would be ideal.
              "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
              Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

The clean sounds pretty nice to me, but you are right... it goes from clean to BAM! dirty!!!

I also picked up an inexpensive Micro Terror Dark which also has a very nice clean (surprisingly)
                -=The Dali

Comment

Try the od channel om very low gain settings
                  If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Going to get a tubescreamer ish pedal for "crunch" myself. Rock on!!

Comment

Working...
                    X