Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mosky Golden Horse

Originally posted by The Dali View Post
    Dave, that is very interesting but I don't see the value in those kits. A Phase90 is $70 with the kit and I have to do all that work, or I can buy a used Phase 90 for $75 - $100. Are these heavier-duty components than the original pedals?

As a DIYer, I appreciate the fun in doing a kit, but that looks like a LOT of soldering!
    Well, you learn how to do something. The components are top-notch. While there is a lot of soldering, there are a lot of mods you can buy or wire into your pedals. They make the pedals like they used to be made, not like the modern versions of those pedals. You don't build your own to save money, though.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

^ You do if you live anywhere else but the US.

All of those DIY product suppliers are way cheaper than retail where I live, and most secondhand stuff privately for sale in the US is 'no overseas shipping'. There are a couple of ebay sellers who do secondhand pedals and ship internationally....which I've taken advantage of.

Of course now we have the budget pedal suppliers popping up everywhere as an alternative.....but they are using cheap components to make them affordable.

Comment

I build EVERYTHING myself to save money! Guitars, cables, cars, you name it!! Handy and frugal, that's me. That's why I was happy to find a dude who builds effects for less than the cost of a BYOC kit.

But I'm telling everyone who will listen, FranktheAnvilFX builds seriously good stuff! He's not just cheap and quick, he's GOOD. All the pedals he has built me sound great, look great, and they are quiet as well. He uses good components and you can really tell.

Comment

This thread has me intrigued. Almost - not quite - but almost pulled the trigger on a Golden Horse for $20 just to experiment. Watched a few vids though. 20 vs 200? Best comment was "If you are in a recording studio and want the absolute best sound...maybe the real thing". Funny he added "maybe" to that...
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Ha! I've enjoyed the sound of both the Mosky Gh and also this Behringer Tube Screamer clone. Really good sound from such inexpensive tools. The other Behringer pedals I bought are decent too - the Compressor is nice and the Chorus as well. I' on the fence about keeping them (only $29 NEW!!!). I was looking into picking up the Mosky RAT pedal too.
            -=The Dali
            --== Unabashed Alex Lifeson Fan

Visit My Guitar Building Blog at www.hammersandchords.com

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
              ^ You do if you live anywhere else but the US.

All of those DIY product suppliers are way cheaper than retail where I live, and most secondhand stuff privately for sale in the US is 'no overseas shipping'. There are a couple of ebay sellers who do secondhand pedals and ship internationally....which I've taken advantage of.

Of course now we have the budget pedal suppliers popping up everywhere as an alternative.....but they are using cheap components to make them affordable.
              +1

It's usually about 50% cheaper for me to build a pedal rather than buy. Plus when I build my own I can spec higher value components . . . so my pedals run fine at 9, 12, or 18 volts.

:P
              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                Securb loves it I believe. I saw a comparison on Tube and was impressed.
                Best $20 I have ever spent. For $20 including shipping I do not know why this pedal is not on every pedal board. It is great as a standalone, I use mine as a boost to put some pop in my leads.

Comment

Working...
                X