Gibson Quick Connect pickup question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson Quick Connect pickup question?

Been away for awhile and just bought a Gibson Les paul special tribute Les paul with the pcb board and quick connect pickup plugs.
    Has Gibson 490r/490t pickups in it but don't care for them and want to swap out,
    Here's my question (if anyone can help out),
    Im interested in the Seth Lover pickup set (really sound awesome)to put in,but there 2 conductor.How do I wire it in to the 4/5 wire connector plug in guitar?
    The 4 wire Seths are all sold out places I've checked and more expensive.
    Going from braided/1 wire to the 5 wire.
    Thanx alot,dont wanna rip out and rewire if don't have to.

Re: Gibson Quick Connect pickup question?

There are a few places that make adapters to use with the Gibson PCB, but I'm not sure how you'd connect a braided wire to them. You can order 2 or 4 conductor Seths, but your best bet is probably a new harness altogether. There are a number of good companies out there, and if you don't like soldering then ObsidianWire and MojoTone make solderless ones that sound great.

Comment

I did find one adaptor with the 4 wire plug on ebay,but cant find Seth lover 4 conductor pickups anywhere.
      Thats another route to go with new harness but expensive.
      Thanx

Comment

Does the Gibson have push pull pots?

The braid would connect to ground. One of those pins is ground. If you have a multimeter (you should) you can figure it out.

Here’s the color codes and wiring for the quick connects:

Hey Gang. I recently found an issue when trying to install a new set of Gibson 490R/498T pickups into a 2013 Gibson Les Paul LPJ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

No push pots,just regular wiring.
          The braid part yeh to ground,where would other wires go?
          I think theres 2 or 3 wires on 2 condutor pickup.
          I dont have multimeter.
          If i got the plug adaptor with 5 wires,do i hook the wires left to that?

Comment

Well, there is just the hot wire, so you just have to figure out where 'hot' goes. I would think there are some others who have fitted a 2 conductor pickup without ripping everything out (I wouldn't do it either).
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
            X