Removed the Alnico 2 Pros....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removed the Alnico 2 Pros....

So, I removed the Alnico 2 Pros from my Deluxe Thinline Tele. They were very nice, but a tad too polite. I Installed a set of Fender Deluxe Drives in the Thinline. Got these pickups installed yesterday and got them adjusted height-wise. I really like them. They have a nice midrange to them. The bridge pickup twangs but it's a smoother, more subtle twang and very warm. The neck pickup is warm, round, and punchy; definitely not glassy. I had seen these pickups advertised on Fender's website many times. They sound very different than I thought they would. I also replaced the stock stainless bridge with my Wilkinson ferrous ashtray bridge. I really love the sound, response, and tone of the Deluxe Drives. Here are a couple of pics of the Thinline.

-Butch

Re: Removed the Alnico 2 Pros....

Did you try to the pickups to hear what they sound like before changing the bridge? Changing the bridge will make a big difference also. It won’t be clear how much change is the pickups and how much is the bridge if you change both at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
      Did you try to the pickups to hear what they sound like before changing the bridge? Changing the bridge will make a big difference also. It won’t be clear how much change is the pickups and how much is the bridge if you change both at the same time.
      Yes, I'm well aware of the tone changes with the bridge. The stainless bridge is noticeably warmer than the Wilkinson. Since I knew that going in, and I new the Deluxe Drive pickups were warmer, I figured the Wilkinson would add a little brightness to what are already very warm pickups with a lot of midrange.
      -Butch

Comment

Just wanted to go on record as saying that I have no disdain for the Alnico 2 Pro pickups. They are great pickups; just not what I'm looking for in this guitar.
        -Butch

Comment

Slight offtopic- Beautiful Tele! What year?
          Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

Originally posted by Synapsys View Post
            Slight offtopic- Beautiful Tele! What year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            -Butch

Comment

Working...
            X