New amp.... times 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New amp.... times 2

I recently picked up a Blackstar HT5, which I love so far.

In the meantime, I also found an Orange Micro Terror Dark 15w amplifier for low dollars on a local trade site. Wow, this thing is SMALL! Really "micro"... it is another hybrid amp, with a single pre-amp tube but solid state power section. The amplifier is LOUD. LOUD. LOUD. Wow. It sounds good, the crunch is nice, but I really like the clean sound. Not sure if I will keep it, since it is a duplicate of the Blackstar (in a sense) but they do sound different. There is something to be said for having a small amp like this to bring to a friend's house, etc... Right now I have it paired with a small 10" Marshall box that I built (with Celestion greenback) and it sounds very nice.

I do wish it had two channels.

Anyone else out there with a Micro?
    -=The Dali
    --== Unabashed Alex Lifeson Fan

Visit My Guitar Building Blog at www.hammersandchords.com

Re: New amp.... times 2

Ive looked at those a few times, just for a change of pass from my Marshall, just always found other things to spend my fun money on.
    1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
    Jackson Soloist 7 string
    ESP LTD M-400
    Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

I have one, and love it. Last year I used it at one of my Black Sabbath tribute band's shows, into a Rivera 410 cab, and it sounded massive. The sound man sure got a kick out such a tiny amp making such a big sound.

Last edited by guitfiddle; 05-14-2020, 08:20 AM.
      - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
      Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
      The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

Originally posted by guitfiddle View Post
        I have one, and love it. Last year I used it at one of my Black Sabbath tribute band's shows, into a Rivera 410 cab, and it sounded massive. The sound man sure got a kick out such a tiny amp making such a big sound.

that's AWESOME!
        -=The Dali
        --== Unabashed Alex Lifeson Fan

Visit My Guitar Building Blog at www.hammersandchords.com

Comment

I have a Micro Dark, love it. The stock tube died so I put a Mullard in it - removed any previous fizz or noise. I run it through a Hughes & Kettner TM110. Perfect amp for travel or impromptu jams, although I’ve been using it more than the OR15 lately..

Comment

Dude, you nailed Iommi's tone, that was with a little Micro Dark?

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
              Dude, you nailed Iommi's tone, that was with a little Micro Dark?
              Sure was, along with my friend's '90s SG. The best part was watching the sound guy's chin hit the floor.

I also own a Dark Terror, and believe it or not, into the same speakers and with the same settings, the Micro Dark is a bit louder. Of course, the Dark Terror is more fun to play, but the MD is a rock solid little amp.
              Last edited by guitfiddle; 05-14-2020, 01:12 PM.
              - Tom

Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.

Comment

Just the amp, no pedals??

Comment

I goosed it with an OCD at certain times.
                  Last edited by guitfiddle; 05-16-2020, 11:09 AM.
                  - Tom

Comment

Really nice sound you got there. Impressed that came from the micro dark.

Also digging the guy in front in the button down alternating between dancing, head banging, air guitar and air drumming. That’s a good sign you’re connecting with the crowd.
                    Everything in this post is the sole opinion of the author. The author makes no claims that his word is final, only that the opinions expressed are those of the author and any similiarities to the opinions of others is purely coincidental.

Comment

I love my Blackstar HT-20mkII...

But never liked the Orange amps. Me and my Uncle even had an on-going gag about "the Orange sound"

Maybe my opinion would change, if I had an orange myself.

but I'm happy to hear, that you're satisfied and inspired.

Rock on!!

-Erlend
                      If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

I goosed it with an OCD at certain times.
                        Gracias. Just curious. Sounds great!

Comment

Working...
                        X