New Mini Rack of Doom Day!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Mini Rack of Doom Day!

Its not huge and mighty but it’s still a rack of doooooom.....

First thoughts, the 2:90 is an awesome power amp. I love the way Mesa does power amps, the 6L6s are nice a fast, assertive, great bass, I bet any preamp through this will sound great.

I’ve wanted a TriAxis for 20 years, now I finally get to play around with one. Having all the presets on an all tube preamp is awesome. The cleans (both fat rhythm green and pristine rhythm yellow) are awesome. The Lead circuits will take some time to dial in, so far the Lead 1 Green had been pretty easy to get great breakup tones and the Rhythm 2 Yellow is the classic Mark II tone.

The G Major 2 has even more tweakability, I’m going to need to spend some time getting to know it. Thankfully the previous owner has a few good presets with simple reverb and delay settings.

Anyway, lots of fun headed my way...
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Re: New Mini Rack of Doom Day!

Well, that's pretty awesome, right there! I am building one too, but it is a few synths, a Furman power supply and a guitar-to-midi interface.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Really cool! I still have an ADA MP-1 that is headed for a rack like that. Make no mistake: that rig has pretty much all of the flexibility of the refridgerator racks of yesteryears in a package that is arguably more practical than a pedalboard and head (especially if your tastes veer towards stereo or wet/dry).

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        Well, that's pretty awesome, right there! I am building one too, but it is a few synths, a Furman power supply and a guitar-to-midi interface.
        Cool, will it be all synth based? I’ll be interested in seeing it...

Originally posted by Sirion View Post
        Really cool! I still have an ADA MP-1 that is headed for a rack like that. Make no mistake: that rig has pretty much all of the flexibility of the refridgerator racks of yesteryears in a package that is arguably more practical than a pedalboard and head (especially if your tastes veer towards stereo or wet/dry).
        Yes, very powerful. Also, not as heavy as expected. The tube power amp is obviously the heavy thing, but the roller case and handles makes it easier to carry than I thought. Like I mentioned, the preamp is pretty straightforward, just need to experiment with settings. The G Major has lots of options, I appreciate how simple even “complex” pedals like the DD500 are. On this, to get modulated delay, there’s no direct “modulated delay” option. You put a Mod block in the loop of the delay block, then tweak each. So to creat an Analog sounding delay, you need the modulation plus the high and low pass filters. Very powerful.
        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Tri-Axis: The original enemy of the JMP-1!

I still remember a great GP review of both of those. I'll take the JMP-1 thank you. But can't hate on that!!!!
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Holy crap that’s awesome

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
              Tri-Axis: The original enemy of the JMP-1!

I still remember a great GP review of both of those. I'll take the JMP-1 thank you. But can't hate on that!!!!
              Well... you see that 1u rack drawer? If I can find a reasonably priced JMP-1 it’s going there. Either a pretty simple switch between either preamp or a full stereo setup with the TriAxis on one side and the JMP-1 on the other would be cool. The TriAxis has an open switch channel that could actuate a simple remote switcher or the full stereo with G Major...

For now I’m enjoying just this!
              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

That's an awesome setup. I remember playing around with the Triaxis for a while after Andy Timmons gave me the settings he got from Petrucci. The integration with the 2:90 for changing settings was really impressive at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by chadd View Post
                  That's an awesome setup. I remember playing around with the Triaxis for a while after Andy Timmons gave me the settings he got from Petrucci. The integration with the 2:90 for changing settings was really impressive at the time.
                  All the reviews and recommendations I could find mention that the 2:90 is the perfect matching power amp for it. The modes aren’t subtle options, deep really extends the bass, the 2x12 sounds like a 4x12. The Modern adds some killer cut on top. Too much for my testing so far, but you can tell it’ll really help it cut with a band on higher gain tones.
                  Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                    All the reviews and recommendations I could find mention that the 2:90 is the perfect matching power amp for it. The modes aren’t subtle options, deep really extends the bass, the 2x12 sounds like a 4x12. The Modern adds some killer cut on top. Too much for my testing so far, but you can tell it’ll really help it cut with a band on higher gain tones.
                    Yeah, the tonal options of that combo are amazing. I'm a little jealous and wish there was some kind of new incarnation of the Triaxis. I would have gone that route instead of Kemper.

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                      Cool, will it be all synth based? I’ll be interested in seeing it...

This rack, yes. I have an XV-5050 synth getting here on Monday, but I have a Roland M-GS64 in there for now. The guitar is being handled by a Line 6 HX Effects, on a pedalboard, and the looping is a Ditto X4 Looper. So right now there is a lot of wires connecting everything, but it won't be that bad once I tidy it up. I just installed a GK pickup on my Variax Acoustic last night.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

that looks great! betcha is sounds great too. gonna get the midi setup?

Comment

Your sound will be massive. Very cool. My rack system is more old school and I don't even use the midi. I use an Art SGX-2000 Express into a Mesa Boogie M190 (180 watt all tube rack mount monoblock) into a Peavey Futura 12 inch rack mounted speaker cabinet loaded with a Peavey Black Widow. You have more bells and whistles than I good sir.

Comment

I need to build one for my Behringer XAir and stuff
                            not so much for guitar stuff
                            EHD
                            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                              that looks great! betcha is sounds great too. gonna get the midi setup?
                              Right now at home I’m just paying through and dialing things in manually. Long term I was thinking of a used Ground Control Pro. Pro level controller, you can get them for about $200 used and they’ll give you either 12 presets plus banking or 4 Presets plus 8 Instant Access to turn on/off effects in the G Major, Stompbox style.

The clean and edge of breakup tones are really great. You can get high gain a lot of different ways, it’s those Blackface through Mark 1 type tones that are a little elusive.
                              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Working...
                              X