Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 52

Thread: New Mini Rack of Doom Day!

  1. #1
    of the Forum PFDarkside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Somewhere around... Chicago!
    Age
    40
    Posts
    17,754

    Default New Mini Rack of Doom Day!

    Its not huge and mighty but it’s still a rack of doooooom.....



    First thoughts, the 2:90 is an awesome power amp. I love the way Mesa does power amps, the 6L6s are nice a fast, assertive, great bass, I bet any preamp through this will sound great.

    I’ve wanted a TriAxis for 20 years, now I finally get to play around with one. Having all the presets on an all tube preamp is awesome. The cleans (both fat rhythm green and pristine rhythm yellow) are awesome. The Lead circuits will take some time to dial in, so far the Lead 1 Green had been pretty easy to get great breakup tones and the Rhythm 2 Yellow is the classic Mark II tone.

    The G Major 2 has even more tweakability, I’m going to need to spend some time getting to know it. Thankfully the previous owner has a few good presets with simple reverb and delay settings.

    Anyway, lots of fun headed my way...
    Oh no.....


    Oh Yeah!

  2. #2
    Administrator Mincer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Tampa Bay area, Florida, USA
    Posts
    25,922

    Default Re: New Mini Rack of Doom Day!

    Well, that's pretty awesome, right there! I am building one too, but it is a few synths, a Furman power supply and a guitar-to-midi interface.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

    My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

    Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

  3. #3
    Mojo's Minions Sirion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Norway, USSR
    Posts
    3,776

    Default Re: New Mini Rack of Doom Day!

    Really cool! I still have an ADA MP-1 that is headed for a rack like that. Make no mistake: that rig has pretty much all of the flexibility of the refridgerator racks of yesteryears in a package that is arguably more practical than a pedalboard and head (especially if your tastes veer towards stereo or wet/dry).

  4. #4
    of the Forum PFDarkside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Somewhere around... Chicago!
    Age
    40
    Posts
    17,754

    Default Re: New Mini Rack of Doom Day!

    Quote Originally Posted by Mincer View Post
    Well, that's pretty awesome, right there! I am building one too, but it is a few synths, a Furman power supply and a guitar-to-midi interface.
    Cool, will it be all synth based? I’ll be interested in seeing it...

    Quote Originally Posted by Sirion View Post
    Really cool! I still have an ADA MP-1 that is headed for a rack like that. Make no mistake: that rig has pretty much all of the flexibility of the refridgerator racks of yesteryears in a package that is arguably more practical than a pedalboard and head (especially if your tastes veer towards stereo or wet/dry).
    Yes, very powerful. Also, not as heavy as expected. The tube power amp is obviously the heavy thing, but the roller case and handles makes it easier to carry than I thought. Like I mentioned, the preamp is pretty straightforward, just need to experiment with settings. The G Major has lots of options, I appreciate how simple even “complex” pedals like the DD500 are. On this, to get modulated delay, there’s no direct “modulated delay” option. You put a Mod block in the loop of the delay block, then tweak each. So to creat an Analog sounding delay, you need the modulation plus the high and low pass filters. Very powerful.
    Oh no.....


    Oh Yeah!

  5. #5
    mild old man perv Aceman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!
    Age
    53
    Posts
    53

    Default Re: New Mini Rack of Doom Day!

    Tri-Axis: The original enemy of the JMP-1!

    I still remember a great GP review of both of those. I'll take the JMP-1 thank you. But can't hate on that!!!!

  6. #6
    Her Little Mojo Minion DankStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Mosh Pits of Utumno
    Posts
    14,787

    Default Re: New Mini Rack of Doom Day!

    Holy crap that’s awesome

  7. #7
    of the Forum PFDarkside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Somewhere around... Chicago!
    Age
    40
    Posts
    17,754

    Default Re: New Mini Rack of Doom Day!

    Quote Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
    Tri-Axis: The original enemy of the JMP-1!

    I still remember a great GP review of both of those. I'll take the JMP-1 thank you. But can't hate on that!!!!
    Well... you see that 1u rack drawer? If I can find a reasonably priced JMP-1 it’s going there. Either a pretty simple switch between either preamp or a full stereo setup with the TriAxis on one side and the JMP-1 on the other would be cool. The TriAxis has an open switch channel that could actuate a simple remote switcher or the full stereo with G Major...

    For now I’m enjoying just this!

  8. #8
    Ultimate Tone Slacker
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Pennsyltucky
    Posts
    2,143

    Default Re: New Mini Rack of Doom Day!

    That's an awesome setup. I remember playing around with the Triaxis for a while after Andy Timmons gave me the settings he got from Petrucci. The integration with the 2:90 for changing settings was really impressive at the time.

  9. #9
    of the Forum PFDarkside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Somewhere around... Chicago!
    Age
    40
    Posts
    17,754

    Default Re: New Mini Rack of Doom Day!

    Quote Originally Posted by chadd View Post
    That's an awesome setup. I remember playing around with the Triaxis for a while after Andy Timmons gave me the settings he got from Petrucci. The integration with the 2:90 for changing settings was really impressive at the time.
    All the reviews and recommendations I could find mention that the 2:90 is the perfect matching power amp for it. The modes aren’t subtle options, deep really extends the bass, the 2x12 sounds like a 4x12. The Modern adds some killer cut on top. Too much for my testing so far, but you can tell it’ll really help it cut with a band on higher gain tones.
    Oh no.....


    Oh Yeah!

  10. #10
    Ultimate Tone Slacker
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Pennsyltucky
    Posts
    2,143

    Default Re: New Mini Rack of Doom Day!

    Quote Originally Posted by PFDarkside View Post
    All the reviews and recommendations I could find mention that the 2:90 is the perfect matching power amp for it. The modes aren’t subtle options, deep really extends the bass, the 2x12 sounds like a 4x12. The Modern adds some killer cut on top. Too much for my testing so far, but you can tell it’ll really help it cut with a band on higher gain tones.
    Yeah, the tonal options of that combo are amazing. I'm a little jealous and wish there was some kind of new incarnation of the Triaxis. I would have gone that route instead of Kemper.

  11. #11
    Administrator Mincer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Tampa Bay area, Florida, USA
    Posts
    25,922

    Default Re: New Mini Rack of Doom Day!

    Quote Originally Posted by PFDarkside View Post
    Cool, will it be all synth based? I’ll be interested in seeing it...


    .
    This rack, yes. I have an XV-5050 synth getting here on Monday, but I have a Roland M-GS64 in there for now. The guitar is being handled by a Line 6 HX Effects, on a pedalboard, and the looping is a Ditto X4 Looper. So right now there is a lot of wires connecting everything, but it won't be that bad once I tidy it up. I just installed a GK pickup on my Variax Acoustic last night.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

    My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

    Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

  12. #12
    LoveMachineologist jeremy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    albany, ny
    Age
    43
    Posts
    31,035

    Default Re: New Mini Rack of Doom Day!

    that looks great! betcha is sounds great too. gonna get the midi setup?

  13. #13
    Toneologist Jeffblue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    736

    Default Re: New Mini Rack of Doom Day!

    Your sound will be massive. Very cool. My rack system is more old school and I don't even use the midi. I use an Art SGX-2000 Express into a Mesa Boogie M190 (180 watt all tube rack mount monoblock) into a Peavey Futura 12 inch rack mounted speaker cabinet loaded with a Peavey Black Widow. You have more bells and whistles than I good sir.

  14. #14
    A Ficus ehdwuld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    South Alabama
    Posts
    10,951

    Default Re: New Mini Rack of Doom Day!

    I need to build one for my Behringer XAir and stuff
    not so much for guitar stuff
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

  15. #15
    of the Forum PFDarkside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Somewhere around... Chicago!
    Age
    40
    Posts
    17,754

    Default Re: New Mini Rack of Doom Day!

    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
    that looks great! betcha is sounds great too. gonna get the midi setup?
    Right now at home I’m just paying through and dialing things in manually. Long term I was thinking of a used Ground Control Pro. Pro level controller, you can get them for about $200 used and they’ll give you either 12 presets plus banking or 4 Presets plus 8 Instant Access to turn on/off effects in the G Major, Stompbox style.

    The clean and edge of breakup tones are really great. You can get high gain a lot of different ways, it’s those Blackface through Mark 1 type tones that are a little elusive.
    Oh no.....


    Oh Yeah!

  16. #16
    Mojo's Minions misterwhizzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Age
    40
    Posts
    8,023

    Default Re: New Mini Rack of Doom Day!

    10 / 10.

  17. #17
    Toneologist Synapsys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Portugal, Europe
    Posts
    772

    Default Re: New Mini Rack of Doom Day!

    Quote Originally Posted by Mincer View Post
    This rack, yes. I have an XV-5050 synth getting here on Monday, but I have a Roland M-GS64 in there for now. The guitar is being handled by a Line 6 HX Effects, on a pedalboard, and the looping is a Ditto X4 Looper. So right now there is a lot of wires connecting everything, but it won't be that bad once I tidy it up. I just installed a GK pickup on my Variax Acoustic last night.
    First of all, sorry for slight offtopic: Mincer, check out the new firmware update for the L6 Helix range, they added a lot of stuff to the HX Command Center, which may come in handy for controlling the rack synth via MIDI. Guess it all depends on how you want to integrate guitar and synth gear.

    On topic: Awesome looking rack! Doesn't the GMajor 2 allow changes to the FX chain? You could go 4CM with the Triaxis and gain more versatility out of that setup...
    Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics), PRS SE CU 24 Flametop (TB5/PGn), Ibanez RG870RWZ (PATB set), Jackson DK2M1H (TB4) & DK2 (TB10/VRn/CRn), LTD MH-1000HS (TB-15/Lil59n), ST213A (HRb/STK-S4 m&n) & TE212 (Hot Stack/A2Pn), Dean Cadillac 1980 (59 set) & Old Skull V (TB6/JazzN), Squier VM JM (SJM-1 set);Effects:Korg Pitchblack Poly, Digitech Drop, MXR CAE MC404 & EHX Wailer wahs, L6 HX FX & Stomp, Fender FVP-1, EHX Volume Pedal; Amp & Cab:H&K GM 40 Dlx, L6 DT25 cab;

  18. #18
    Mojo's Minions dr.barlo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Istanbul
    Age
    48
    Posts
    3,656

    Default Re: New Mini Rack of Doom Day!

    I am always on the lookout for a Triaxis. Hell of a preamp. I couldn't score one cheap till now.

    The ones I was able to gather are an ADA MP-1, Mesa Studio Pre, and my new Engl e530. That said, Triaxis and/or Rectifier Recording Preamp would be great additions!

    Nice score!

    B

  19. #19
    Administrator Mincer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Tampa Bay area, Florida, USA
    Posts
    25,922

    Default Re: New Mini Rack of Doom Day!

    Quote Originally Posted by Synapsys View Post
    First of all, sorry for slight offtopic: Mincer, check out the new firmware update for the L6 Helix range, they added a lot of stuff to the HX Command Center, which may come in handy for controlling the rack synth via MIDI. Guess it all depends on how you want to integrate guitar and synth gear.

    On topic: Awesome looking rack! Doesn't the GMajor 2 allow changes to the FX chain? You could go 4CM with the Triaxis and gain more versatility out of that setup...
    Got it on the first day. There are some cool things it can do. However, I am using a Behringer FCB-1010 to run the rig now, as I need a lot more free pedals and a few expression pedals.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

    My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

    Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

  20. #20
    of the Forum PFDarkside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Somewhere around... Chicago!
    Age
    40
    Posts
    17,754

    Default Re: New Mini Rack of Doom Day!

    Quote Originally Posted by Synapsys View Post
    On topic: Awesome looking rack! Doesn't the GMajor 2 allow changes to the FX chain? You could go 4CM with the Triaxis and gain more versatility out of that setup...
    It allows for 4 defined routings of Series and some Series/Parallel. Unfortunately you can’t separate L/R which is what you’d need to do for 4 Cable Method. If I’d have bought it for $599 new in 2009 I’d be disappointed, but for under $200 I’m very happy.
    Oh no.....


    Oh Yeah!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •