New Mini Rack of Doom Day!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Mini Rack of Doom Day!

Controller is here, programming is a piece of cake. This is fun and man does it sound great!

Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Are you just using program change messages, or bank changes, CC and note on/off, too?
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Program Change and CC. I don’t have anything that supports Note On/Off, and I don’t need to Bank (so far).

PC to select patches on the TriAxis and G Major, CC to turn on/off effects blocks on the G Major in pseudo Stompbox mode.
        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

The rack I am building uses note on/off to hit some bass pedal sounds with my feet. Not many foot controllers support it, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            The rack I am building uses note on/off to hit some bass pedal sounds with my feet. Not many foot controllers support it, though.
            The Ground Control Pro seems to be designed for controlling guitar gear, and it was pretty amazing in terms of power and ease of programming when it first came out in the late 90s or early 2000s. At that point the only controllers I can think of that could touch it in terms of capability with the Rocktron All Access and Bradshaw RS-10, both of which are supposed to be a nightmare to program. I suppose the biggest weakness of the GCP is that it hasn't really been updated since its release, and by today's standards it's pretty limited in terms of what it can send in terms of control changes with a single button push. The standard these days is set by controllers like the FAMC Liquidfoot and RJM Mastermind with PC editors and buttons that can be re-assigned on a per-patch basis. Of course the entry level Liquidfoot+ Mini and Mastermind LT both cost about the same as a new Ground Control Pro, while their higher end counterparts are $1200 or more.
            Originally posted by crusty philtrum
            And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
              The Ground Control Pro seems to be designed for controlling guitar gear, and it was pretty amazing in terms of power and ease of programming when it first came out in the late 90s or early 2000s. At that point the only controllers I can think of that could touch it in terms of capability with the Rocktron All Access and Bradshaw RS-10, both of which are supposed to be a nightmare to program. I suppose the biggest weakness of the GCP is that it hasn't really been updated since its release, and by today's standards it's pretty limited in terms of what it can send in terms of control changes with a single button push. The standard these days is set by controllers like the FAMC Liquidfoot and RJM Mastermind with PC editors and buttons that can be re-assigned on a per-patch basis. Of course the entry level Liquidfoot+ Mini and Mastermind LT both cost about the same as a new Ground Control Pro, while their higher end counterparts are $1200 or more.
              My research led me to avoid Liquid Foot, as support and programming both leave quite a bit to be desired. The RJM is the Cadillac, but for what I’m doing I figure I can get this whole rack for the price of a Mastermind GT. I’ll start with the GCP and go from there when need be. I’ve got an ES-8, so I’m familiar with what can be sent by a controller, but for now this will work until I outgrow it.

However.... there is a Beta release of software out that allows you to link 2 GCPs, one can be all presets (banks of 10) and the other is all Instant Access, 2 banks of 12 IA. That might be an interesting option, even if it’s approaching an aircraft carrier sized board.
              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

That is a serious rig. Love it!
                Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

I've used a Softstep too, which can have lots to control, but the software to program it was a nightmare, and there wasn't good tactile response to the switches.

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                    My research led me to avoid Liquid Foot, as support and programming both leave quite a bit to be desired. The RJM is the Cadillac, but for what I’m doing I figure I can get this whole rack for the price of a Mastermind GT. I’ll start with the GCP and go from there when need be. I’ve got an ES-8, so I’m familiar with what can be sent by a controller, but for now this will work until I outgrow it.

However.... there is a Beta release of software out that allows you to link 2 GCPs, one can be all presets (banks of 10) and the other is all Instant Access, 2 banks of 12 IA. That might be an interesting option, even if it’s approaching an aircraft carrier sized board.
                    My brother is a big fan of the Liquid Foot, while I would definitely pick the Mastermind GT-10 or GT-16 if price were no object. Since I have to live in the real world, I'll probably go with a Mastermind LT if I end up building a new rack. I've seen them going for $250-300 used which isn't that much more than the typical GCP. I could definitely make that work as I don't use a lot of instant access buttons for the way I like to play.
                    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

My brother is a big fan of the Liquid Foot, while I would definitely pick the Mastermind GT-10 or GT-16 if price were no object. Since I have to live in the real world, I'll probably go with a Mastermind LT if I end up building a new rack. I've seen them going for $250-300 used which isn't that much more than the typical GCP. I could definitely make that work as I don't use a lot of instant access buttons for the way I like to play.
                      I remember those from a few years ago. Yeah, that would be my choice if someone else were paying for it!

Comment

Happy birthday to me.... More rack gear! Now I’ve got an issue, too many items, not enough space. I need to figure out if I want a separate 4u for just the power amp and heavy items or if a 10u is the way to go...

Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I say, get a separate rack. It will be just as protected and easier to move.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                            I say, get a separate rack. It will be just as protected and easier to move.
                            Happy Birthday. We’re you in the Stangnet forum back in the day?
                            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                              Happy birthday to me.... More rack gear! Now I’ve got an issue, too many items, not enough space. I need to figure out if I want a separate 4u for just the power amp and heavy items or if a 10u is the way to go...

A 10U is great until you have to move it. If this is EVER going to leave wherever you're keeping it now, go with separate cases.

Just out of curiosity, what were you planning to use the GCX for? If you're going to have a drawer with pedals, plan on allowing 2-3U for that depending on how tall they are.

Comment

A 10U is great until you have to move it. If this is EVER going to leave wherever you're keeping it now, go with separate cases.

Just out of curiosity, what were you planning to use the GCX for? If you're going to have a drawer with pedals, plan on allowing 2-3U for that depending on how tall they are.
                                2u should do for the pedal shelf. I’m thinking a compressor, fuzz, OD and either Univibe or Phaser. I’m not a fan of phaser in the loop at all. That drawer came with the case/power amp/power supply. It won’t be used long term. (The GCX/GCP were just over $200 together!) The other loops are for switching the tuner and A/B for the power amp, one side to open back C90, one side to closed back V30.

It’s sounding extremely good, switching to open back American style speakers for the clean and grit and closed back V30 for crunch, heavier rhythm and lead is awesome. Of course the uber clean Rhythm Yellow and saturated Lead 2 sound good, it’s the juicy Rhythm Green and Lead 1 tones that are really impressing me.
                                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Working...
                                X