Boss Tuner Vs Polytune

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boss Tuner Vs Polytune

Have people played around with both tuners? What are you thoughts on which one is more accurate? I've watched a bunch of vids but looking for some first hand experience. Is the poly tune function really that accurate? Or is single not tuning always better?

Re: Boss Tuner Vs Polytune

For setting intonation you wanna be pretty accurate but either of those for normal tuning will more than do their job. Besides, once you start playing you’ll always be off by either fretting too hard, or slightly outta tune on bends or vibratos. That’s what makes the guitar unique.
    Besides if you’re OCD about tuning, you might as well get a compensated nut and even true temperament frets

Comment

To answer your question though, if it’s going on a pedalboard the Polytune has a smaller footprint, and they offer an even smaller size with the Polytune 2 Mini. Both the Polytune and TU-3 are equally accurate I’d say and used by gigging musicians all over so can’t go wrong.

Comment

I’d go based on which display you prefer.
        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

The polytune mini is great.
          It’s tiny, accurate, does polyphonic tuning, and the buffer option is nice
          Gibson LP, Burstbucker 3 A6, 490R A4
          Gibson LP, Pearly Gates A6, Sentient A4
          Gibson LP BFG, Burstbucker A8, P90
          Gibson SG special T, GFS Crunchy Mini, Gibson mini A3
          Strat SSS, SD STK-6 , SSL1 middle, Bootstrap Sparkle Neck
          Strat HSS hardtail, Perpetual Burn A6, Bootstrap Sparkle mid/neck
          Tele, DMZ Area Hot T, Gibson Mini A3
          Tele, DMZ Pegasus A2, Gibson Mini A3
          Jackson V, SD Pegasus bridge, 490R A5
          PRS SE CU24: Air Norton A2, 490R A3

Comment

I use an older Guyatone Mini Tuner, just because it can be seen in bright sunlight, which is an issue at most performances.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Both are more accurate than any human can hear -so it doesn't matter much as a live pedal.

On paper the Polytune is more accurate and it tests more accurate -but that on a stage isn't an advantage -it makes players fiddle more with their tuning than needed. The Boss is designed as a stage tuner and only as accurate as required and then just a bit more -for fast tuning.

Also bear in mind the Boss is tougher from a gigging perspective than TC Electronics have proven to be. -if thats a factor you care about.

So I'd go with the display, size, features and stomp style you prefer -and not waste time thinking on accuracy -it's just a sales technique mostly.
              “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I used a Snark clip on for years and they made a pedal style so i bought that. 2 years later maybe less completely died. Company did nothing about it.
                Went back to a trusty Boss TU-2.
                Tough as nails. Wont use anything else now.

Comment

I use the Snark for my acoustic instruments when they're not plugged in.

I have the PolyTune on the board. Works great and the display is HUGE!
                  Attached Files
                  “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

I've used both and will take the PolyTune any day. Had one for a good while when I had a pedalboard. These days I use the Planet Waves NS-2 on the headstock. The PolyTune is great and very accurate. No issues seeing it on a bright outdoor stage too.

Comment

used a tu2 and a korg pitchblack for years touring, but now i am a die hard polytune guy. more accurate (at least it was at the time) and i really like the polytune function for checking the entire guitar quickly between songs.
                      Quality riffs in about a minute...
                      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

If I played live the strum function on the Polytune would seal the deal for me like the poster above said. So much quicker, and can then tune individual strings and get back to playing quicker. My GT-100 has the same function and it’s great, really cool technology to be able to do that.

Comment

I used to use a Korg Pitchblack tuner, then was intrigued by the Polytune 3 with the buffer option as my signal was sounding kind of dull
                          after running thru my board.
                          The Polytune solved the problem with the built in buffer and it is much easier to see/use than the Korg. The strum (all strings) option works well too.
                          I'd buy another Polytune in a heartbeat if mine crapped out.

Comment

I still have an old Korg Analog tuner, it's great for the studio, but bring it on stage and the real time accuracy will drive you nuts. The VU is so responsive, it undulates with every nuance of the guitar, digital tuners smooth and average this out so you don't have to deal with it - and that is the magic of the TU-2 -only enough movement to give you an in tune guitar and no more.
                            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Working...
                            X