Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Advantages of a one-channel amp?

Originally posted by zizyphus View Post
    I'm just wondering why someone would shell out top dollar for a one-trick pony
    If that trick is an amazing trick, it's worth the money. That's the first reason; an amp that does one thing, whether that's gain or clean, and does it in a very desirable way that is not easily copied, is an amp people are going to pay for to get that sound.

Second, a lot of one-channel amps are popular because their clean tone makes them excellent pedal platforms, so their "one trick" makes them as sonically flexible as you want them to be just by laying out a few boxes in between the guitar and amp. Got gain for days, like a Hot Rod (which may as well be a one-channel amp)? Get a dirt pedal to go in front, and voila, there's your two-channel voicing. Got an amp that will go from clean into dirt in one channel, like a Princeton? You have even more options, like clean and treble boosts, to push the clean amp into breakup at the press of a footswitch.

Now, there's one-trick ponies, then there's paying $2500 for that trick. I like Josh Scott and JHS, and his collab with Milkman on the "Loud Is More Good" amp is a good idea; a single-channel amp designed from the ground up to be the best pedal-platform amp money can buy. However, if that's what you're going for, you're up against serious value-for-dollar competition (not to mention name recognition) in Fender's 1x12 combo lineup, from the Blues Deluxe and Hot Rod Deluxe to the newer Bluesbreakers, all of which are amazing pedal platforms for under a grand. A boutique hand-wired single-channel clean-to-dirty Princetonish amp might do well against these at a slight premium, maybe $1200-$1500. At $2600, which is the Sweetwater price for these, I say "no thanks, where's my Blues Deluxe?"

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

I just have to address the elephant in the room.

Anyone questioning why someone would purchase an expensive one channel amp or question why someone would buy an expensive multi channel amp I guess can only be explained that they have not played many or enough great amps....

because i can see discussing why you would make the choice you made, but questioning why their should be choices at all just means you need play more amps and discover the various great amps out there -no big deal -be it a 1x12 combo or multichannel stack -every category has stellar stuff
      Last edited by NegativeEase; 05-18-2020, 05:34 PM.
      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by TMD
        A one-channel amp isn't necessarily a one-trick pony. Often they are capable of a wide range of overdrive levels and are also touch-sensitive and respond well to changes in the guitar's volume and tone knobs. In a scenario like this, the player can control the amp with the guitar's controls and wring much more out of it than you might think.
        Spot on !! One of my all time favorite amps is the Marshall JCM 900 MK III Dual Master Volume amps. Single channel amp with a second master volume that is switchable only and no reverb. This is also why I love the PRS Archon and MT 15 I have so much as they are very very good amps for some one who plays like this!!
        This is a 50 watt combo Dual Master and I'm running only a little delay in the loop and a wah here with my PRS Custom 24..
        Last edited by Ascension; 05-19-2020, 01:40 AM.
        Guitars
        Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
        Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
          I just have to address the elephant in the room.

Anyone questioning why someone would purchase an expensive one channel amp or question why someone would buy an expensive multi channel amp I guess can only be explained that they have not played many or enough great amps....

because i can see discussing why you would make the choice you made, but questioning why their should be choices at all just means you need play more amps and discover the various great amps out there -no big deal -be it a 1x12 combo or multichannel stack -every category has stellar stuff
          Yep agree here 100%. Those of us who have been privileged to have actually owned and played really great amps know this. I am one from the one off 100 watt Fender Prosonic that Bruce Zinky hand built at the Fender Custom shop then gave to Brad Whitford that I once owned to the Zinky Blue Velvet Bruce built me I still own to the PRS Archon I now own and others I have been truly blessed over the years with some truly spectacular amps. I know the difference.
          Last edited by Ascension; 05-19-2020, 08:54 AM.
          Guitars
          Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
          Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
            Simple amps sound better than complex ones.
            More options to shape great tone equals much wider spectrum of bad tone available. That's user error.

Also one channel doesn't necessarily mean simple. Egnater I have is one channel and way more complex desing than average channelswitcher.
            "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
            Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

I've been pondering an EH mig50 for awhile, just as a simple smaller tube head for playing with pedals.
              Haven't seen them in-stock anywhere in awhile though.

Comment

I've found one advantage-

footswitch doesn't get worn out.

(heh..eheh.. hehe) XD
                If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
                  Yep agree here 100%. Those of us who have been privileged to have actually owned and played really great amps know this. I am one from the one off 100 watt Fender Prosonic that Bruce Zinky hand built at the Fender Custom shop then gave to Brad Whitford that I once owned to the Zinky Blue Velvet Bruce built me I still own to the PRS Archon I now own and others I have been truly blessed over the years with some truly spectacular amps. I know the difference.
                  I have only had one guitar amp make me turn around to see what I was plugged into

and I wish I had got that Prosonic back in the late 90s
                  EHD
                  Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                  RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                  SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                  Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                  Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                  Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                  Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                  GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

No tap dancing.

Comment

Originally posted by Lake Placid Blues View Post
                      No tap dancing.
                      I disagree. Single-channel amps tend to be great pedal platforms. Push em, boost em, run reverb and choruses into a clean one, they just kinda do the tap-dancing thing.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                      X