Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NPAD: ENGL e530

Hi all,

New preamp day for me. I was able to score an ENGL e530 quite cheap (like less than 220 USD) locally. And placed it to work with my amp loosely based on Matchless DC30's EF86 channel with the rotary but with 2 EL34s - jjEL34ii instead of 4 el84's (and a Marshall Plexi - 1987 - OT from Classic Tone). The match was great. The preamp has lots and lotsa gain on the lead channel. That said, I am pleasantly surprised to like its clean channel a lot. Both clean-clean and clean-gainy are very good sounding.

I just need to do some cables for myself!

6 x 6 feet guitar cables would be enough to get the loop pedal somewhere useful.

B
    Attached Files
    FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Re: NPAD: ENGL e530

The original pic is not upside down!

???

So what gives?

B

Comment

Nice! It’s a rack kind of day!
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by dr.barlo View Post
        The original pic is not upside down!

???

So what gives?

B
        Gremlins. The forum is full of them this week.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          Gremlins. The forum is full of them this week.
          I remember back in 2004, the time the old green forum was just gone...

I hope that does not ever happen again you know...

B

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
            Nice! It’s a rack kind of day!
            I love racks... kinda they look more "professional" to me you know...

B

Comment

Hi all,

New preamp day for me. I was able to score an ENGL e530 quite cheap (like less than 220 USD) locally. And placed it to work with my amp loosely based on Matchless DC30's EF86 channel with the rotary but with 2 EL34s - jjEL34ii instead of 4 el84's (and a Marshall Plexi - 1987 - OT from Classic Tone). The match was great. The preamp has lots and lotsa gain on the lead channel. That said, I am pleasantly surprised to like its clean channel a lot. Both clean-clean and clean-gainy are very good sounding.

I just need to do some cables for myself!

6 x 6 feet guitar cables would be enough to get the loop pedal somewhere useful.

B
              Great score. A couple years back I heard a Youtube demo of this Engl preamp pedal and wanted one badly, but these Engl 530 preamps were already out of production. I looked around on Ebay for some months with none ever popping up as available, and eventually had to move on to another solution.

Like you, I was excited about a preamp that had both great clean and distortion channels. You lucky devil, haha
              Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 05-22-2020, 11:00 PM.
              Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Thanks!

This was a good score... I am liking it more as I am getting to know it a bit better.

B

Comment

I love racks...
                  Me too.

Comment

and

I've just finished these with my es335 using the Seth in the neck and ENGL e530 as a preamp into my 22W d-clone (a la Brown Note D'Lite) used as a power amp. These are done via silent recording, using H&K RedBox II as cab sim and a DIY load box. The first is done with the lead channel (but low gain setting) while the second with the clean channel (but the gainey setting)...

I am starting to like this preamp...

B
                    Last edited by dr.barlo; 06-07-2020, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Great catch! I used to use an E580 into a Marshall EL34 100/100. That thing could take the paint off the walls.
                      Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                      My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
                        Great catch! I used to use an E580 into a Marshall EL34 100/100. That thing could take the paint off the walls.
                        I've made a habit of keeping my eyes open for these preamps. E580 is one of them... Recently, there was a e520 listed on the local sorta eBay here... The price was a bit steep so I am trying to convince myself to pass that.

B

Comment

Working...
                        X