Marshall SV20 Combo vs Head/Cabinet Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall SV20 Combo vs Head/Cabinet Question

I’m eyeing either a SV20 Combo or SV20 head/140W 2x12 SV cabinet.

Question: can I get the combo amp and SV 140W 2x12 cabinet and connect the combo to the cabinet? I want the portability of the combo but the volume of the cabinet when jamming at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Marshall SV20 Combo vs Head/Cabinet Question

It looks like the combo and head both have a nice compliment of Speaker impedance outputs.

Yes, you could power either an external cab or the internal speaker.

That head/cabinet looks killer though!
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Yes, you can... SV20 Head or Combo sounds amazing through a 12" cab.... the combo 10" falls apart at high gain.

SV20C or H has enough to push my Greenback TV 4x12 cab nicely too.
      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Maybe I should just get the head and cabinet. How heavy is the 140W 2x12 cabinet? I can use my DSL20CR combo as my portable jam set up and the 20SV head and vintage can set up as the home jam set up.

Comment

Cabinet: 52.6 lbs
          Head: 20.4 lbs
          Combo: 35 lbs
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by UTGrad View Post
            Maybe I should just get the head and cabinet. How heavy is the 140W 2x12 cabinet? I can use my DSL20CR combo as my portable jam set up and the 20SV head and vintage can set up as the home jam set up.

I was totally disappointed with the speaker in the SV20C -it gets flubby and hollow fast -but that same speaker Celestion V Type sounds great in other configs.

Personally I'd go for the 20H and a 1x12 or 2x12 Greenback or V30 or wait until announcements are made for next year if you can

Hopefully Marshall will come out with a high end 1x12 plexi combo ASIDE from the 1974x -which is 3k (not really a good gigging amp unless you are a Dentist/Lawyer)

I sent them a lot of sonic detail on the SV20C and demanded they do so..
            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

This is the cabinet I plan to match with the SV20 head. Is there better option?

Studio Vintage 140W 2x12 Guitar Speaker Cabinet: https://smart.link/9wlw0d6aupx7o?pro...ker-Cabinet.gc

Comment

Studio Vintage 140W 2x12 Guitar Speaker Cabinet: https://smart.link/9wlw0d6aupx7o?pro...ker-Cabinet.gc

Celestion 12" Vtypes are awesome speakers, and that top bottom config is awesome too.

That and the head is a lot of amp, a lot of quality, and a lot of value.

Comment

Have heads and combos but prefer head and cab. Reasons are first off a head and cab is more versatile and easier to carry. For small gigs many times I will grab my PRS MT 15 head and a cab. If I grab either m tweaker cab or my Ax Track its lighter and more compact than a head is. At the least the weight is spread between both arms and it is easier to pack. The MT 15 is also LOUD and will push larger cabs hard enough to play about anywhere. Same with the little 20 watt Marshals that run E34's.
                  Guitars
                  Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                  Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

While those are good sounding cabs no way on earth are they worth that $!!
                    Feel the same way about the PRS cabs for my MT 15 BTW.
                    Lot of great cabs out there that will sound just as good for a LOT less $! They just don't say Mashall on them.
                    Here is just one example these are designed much like the 2/12 orange cabs have owned 2 and they are wicked cabs.
                    Last edited by Ascension; 05-21-2020, 04:12 PM.
                    Guitars
                    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

I wouldn't bother with the combo, and I also wouldn't get the Marshall cab (the matching cabs for the Studio series are rather crap). If you want a 2x12, go find a used Mesa Recto OS 2x12 -- those are the best sounding ones I've ever encountered, and they go for a few hundred bucks used all day.

Comment

Working...
                      X