Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N9AD

New $9 amp day!

I had obtained a fender rumble awhile back (for nothing) that was DOA. I thought about fixing it, gave it a quick shot, then ripped out all the guts to make a guitar amp. I didn't really want to spend any money on it, but there was a 9 buck amp at parts express so I dropped that in it. It's made to run on 9 volts, but at 12 volts it's pretty freaking loud. I can't really turn it up past like 1 without the family going bonkers on me.

The amp (SKB FootNote): https://www.parts-express.com/footno...upply--249-402

I disconnected the silly pedal power PCB & jacks (all the tiny holes on the bottom of the faceplate) - I wasn't going to use that "feature" and it just got in the way of mounting it.

Yes, it's mounted in what used to be the back of the amp, and it's mounted sideways. Pics are processing sideways too doh.

I left the rumble's faceplate installed in case I want to put in another amp or fuzz circuit at some point.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4116.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	5853981

Name:	IMG_4118.jpg
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	5853982

quick clip by itself, then with a boss HM pedal engaged: https://youtu.be/2pFGuPw4bGo
    Last edited by DankStar; 05-19-2020, 10:27 PM.

Re: N9AD

It looks/sounds pretty good...great fit for your Fender Rumble too. Definitely wouldn't have guessed it was a $ 9 amp (or anywhere close even). I'd get one myself if I could to mess around with. Looks like a fun thing for a project
    "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
      It looks/sounds pretty good...great fit for your Fender Rumble too. Definitely wouldn't have guessed it was a $ 9 amp (or anywhere close even). I'd get one myself if I could to mess around with. Looks like a fun thing for a project
      Thanks! I went ahead and did up a simple bazz fuss type circuit with parts I had already (the circuit only has 6 parts outside of the jacks and pot) to put in the original headcase (powered separately, like a pedal with no on/off switch).

Name:	IMG_4137.jpg
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	5819165

Here's a clip of the circuit through the SKB amp. It's sort of a fuzz/distortion hybrid sound:

Last edited by DankStar; 05-19-2020, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Sweet..so that fuzz preamp breadboard thingy still goes into the 'Footnote' amp? Anyway..it sounds damn good for a little practice amp...nice and chunky rhythm & really warm/smooth for the solo..
        "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
        If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
          Sweet..so that fuzz preamp breadboard thingy still goes into the 'Footnote' amp? Anyway..it sounds damn good for a little practice amp...nice and chunky rhythm & really warm/smooth for the solo..
          It’ll go in the rumble’s faceplate, but I need to solder it all up to a tiny perf board. I’ll have to use a patch cable to go from one side to the other.
          Last edited by DankStar; 05-20-2020, 07:33 AM.

Comment

Got it all wired up. Need some knobs that’ll fit the shafts.

Name:	7522B0EB-1D4C-4873-81A7-C2AF77E9E5A4.jpeg
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	5820650
            Last edited by DankStar; 05-24-2020, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X