banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installing different fretboard inlays in "dot" guitar...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Installing different fretboard inlays in "dot" guitar...

Not worth the labor on that guitar IMO.

It can be done without pulling the frets. It's harder, but it's possible. Hundreds of dollars, I'd think – and less than ideal results.

Epi frets are going to wear down relatively quickly in the grand scheme of things anyhow, though. So might as well just keep playing it and wait till it needs a re-fret.

FWIW, the Uptown Kat cures both of your recently posted problems with the Wildcat...and it has an ebony board. No Bigsby, though (I highly prefer a trapeze, for looks and for function).
    Last edited by ItsaBass; 05-19-2020, 04:36 PM.
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
      Yes, I just told you that. [emoji16] Inlays are done before frets are installed. The problem is the frets are in the way. Especially up the neck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Is that one of your builds, David? That is VERY COOL!!

Comment

It would only be worth it if you want different frets anyway.

Comment

Sorry that I didn't bring all my threads to a single one-

But my guitar's OK-

and thank you all for answers
          If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Its not the number of threads.....its the pure amount of fundamental issues you want changed.

Comment

Maybe look for another guitar with the look you're looking for.

Bound neck with dot inlays is my favorite look. Don't mess with it

Comment

Inlay stickers. No mod and cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
                  The proper way to do this would be to remove all the frets, install the inlays and then sand them flush with the fretboard. Then install new frets.
                  That may be the PROPER way to do it, and especially necessary if the inlay touches the frets like the things you did (very cool!). But I call BS on HAVE to refret. Especially if just a small center inlay of some sort with minimal sanding needed, standard shape (diamond, square, star, etc).

As a luthier, I might refuse to do it without one, but "HAVE" to is strong mojo...
                  Originally posted by Bad City
                  He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                    That may be the PROPER way to do it, and especially necessary if the inlay touches the frets like the things you did (very cool!). But I call BS on HAVE to refret. Especially if just a small center inlay of some sort with minimal sanding needed, standard shape (diamond, square, star, etc).

As a luthier, I might refuse to do it without one, but "HAVE" to is strong mojo...
                    Well you have to sand or file the inlay to be level with the fretboard. Usually they are a little proud of the surface.

You could try and inlay the piece at exactly the right depth, but remember that the inlay is flat, and the fretboard is not.

You could also get fiddly with small files between the frets... but look how much room there is between the upper frets?

And you don’t want to damage your frets.

Can it be done? Sure. But now you’re doing as much work, if not more, than if you pulled the frets, and you will probably have scratches on the fretboard and frets.

But try a few yourself. [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've done it both ways, and it's much easier to do with the frets pulled....
                      aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

An easy update would be to drill out the dots and replace with a more exotic dot or a larger dot. I've done that and it worked out just fine. All you need is a drill and rosewood tinted gllue.
                        -=The Dali
                        --== Unabashed Alex Lifeson Fan

Visit My Guitar Building Blog at www.hammersandchords.com

Comment

Working...
                        X