banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installing different fretboard inlays in "dot" guitar...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing different fretboard inlays in "dot" guitar...

I love my Epiphone Wildkat, but I don't think the round dot inlays look good at all...

I find myself wanting to replace them, either with block inlays, or "diamonds"-

made out of maple.

I know this will be a costly procedure, if i deliver the guitar to a skilled luthier,.

but it's my beloved, main guitar.

How much would you pay, maximum, for a well done job of this kind? :o

-Erlend
    If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Re: Installing different fretboard inlays in "dot" guitar...

I hate dots. I used diamonds on one of my guitars.

I wouldn’t use maple. It will get dirty fast, which is why maple fretboards are lacquered.

The proper way to do this would be to remove all the frets, install the inlays and then sand them flush with the fretboard. Then install new frets.

So you’re talking about a fairly expensive job. I charge $250 to refret a guitar without binding. Don’t even know what I’d charge for inlays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Inlay Stickers...

Just kidding. To go from dots to diamonds sounds really painful and expensive. But hey - if you have the tools and time, I can't think it would be that difficult.Just slow and patient....
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Ok. I've never been good at working with wood.

Would a luthier really need to refret the guitar, just to put in different inlays? :o

... oh well.. this was just a day dream.
        If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Erlend_G View Post
          Would a luthier really need to refret the guitar, just to put in different inlays?
          Yes, I just told you that. [emoji16] Inlays are done before frets are installed. The problem is the frets are in the way. Especially up the neck.

Comment

Okay,. Then I'll have to live with my guitar, the way it is- until I wear the frets out

thank you all for answers.

-Erlend

Comment

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
              Yes, I just told you that. [emoji16] Inlays are done before frets are installed. The problem is the frets are in the way. Especially up the neck.

That’s a cool, unique look.
              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I don't mind dots, but I also like when people experiment with something new, cool, functional and beautiful. I've seen some neat ones made with stainless steel and other metals.
                As far as your guitar...I would think it would be and easy (but expensive) job for a good luthier.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                  That’s a cool, unique look.
                  Thanks! Inspired by Tiesco

Comment

I like dots, personally, but those ^^ are cool!

Comment

After so many threads about making big changes to it, I'm starting to think that, actually, you HATE your Wildkat.
                      ---------------------------
                      The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

Hmmm

Comment

Clever pickguard design on the Tele thing. It's got "flair".
                          aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Hexagons are the sh*t -especially Hexagons on Ebony.

riffing while posting
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	20200519_151852.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	5819160
                            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Nice. Usually see hexagons of abalone on Martins and such. No reason they can't go on a solidbody.
                              aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Working...
                              X