X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hemp material guitar speakers?

Originally posted by Erlend_G View Post
    "Industrial strenght" haha. Okay.
    Nah, it won't get you high -just a headache -it's called "industrial" because its licensed to be grown in the US for industrial applications like fabric, oil etc etc..
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Cannabis Rex speakers are awesome. That's my only experience with hemp cones though.
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
        Cannabis Rex speakers are awesome. That's my only experience with hemp cones though.
        Is there a distinct character that stands out as different?
        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
          Nah, it won't get you high -just a headache -it's called "industrial" because its licensed to be grown in the US for industrial applications like fabric, oil etc etc..
          I take this back -it will certainly get you high at some point, but by that point you will feel so ****ty from other effects it wouldn't be enjoyable.

Comment

It used to grow wild on the side of I10 in Texas
            dont know how effective it is
            EHD
            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Is there a distinct character that stands out as different?
              They sound very clear and articulate without being harsh at all in the high end. No idea if it's due to the speaker cone, but these are lovely speakers.
              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I wonder if bamboo would be a good speaker material. I have no idea, but it is strong and weed-like.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

They sound very clear and articulate without being harsh at all in the high end. No idea if it's due to the speaker cone, but these are lovely speakers.
                  I absolutely agree. I think that it has to do with the fact that the hemp cone is stiffer than regular paper while also being lighter. I have one in a 1x12 convertible cab that I just recently removed the back from. I use it with my Picovalve head and it sounds fantastic. Of course it doesn't hurt that it's been played for the last eleven years.
                  The bamboo question is interesting. You could either pulp it and make paper or strip it really thin and make a laminate cone.

Comment

I have read it somewhere that the advantage of using hemp for speaker cones is that the fibers are longer than the typical fibers from modern wood pulp processes.

Comment

It makes me wonder what a three d printed cone made of carbon fiber would sound like.

Comment

Originally posted by TMD
                        Would you weave it like Kevlar, or pulp it and make paper?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]104915[/ATTACH]
                        Either, I'd guess. If they are using organic materials, something strong and light should work well.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

the weber hemp cone speakers that ive heard sound great, so do some of the tone tubbies. the crex is great and eminence used to make an alnico hemp cone guitar speaker but i never heard it. i do have a pair of discontinued hemp cone neo mag eminence bass speakers and i love em, model ch2010 maybe?

Comment

Funny, I would expect them to not be harsh, but also expect them to be more fuzzy and aloof than clear and maybe giggle at fart jokes

Comment

I have a Mojotone BV30H (G12H clone) that I am thinking to swap out for something a little tighter and more articulate. The Cannabis Rex looks like an interesting possibility

Comment

Funny, I would expect them to not be harsh, but also expect them to be more fuzzy and aloof than clear and maybe giggle at fart jokes
                                I would expect them to seem like a good idea at first, but then be extremely inefficient in practice.

Comment

Working...
                                X