Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wooden "TOM" replacement bridge- for Epi Wildkat-

Is there any direct replacement bridge-

that I can use, instead of the metal Tune-O-Matic bridge on my Epiphone Wildkat.

Made out of rosewood, or ebony.

I'd like to experiment, to get a woodier tone.

-Erlend
    If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Re: Wooden "TOM" replacement bridge- for Epi Wildkat-

I think the bridge part of this might drop on the studs/screws. You’ll have to measure.

I’m sure there’s others out there for archtop guitars.

Shop Archtop Guitar Bridges at StewMac. Upgrade your archtop with a finely machined and highly-polished bridge with a timeless look. StewMAX free shipping!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

^^ yeah. Just wanted to know, if there was a direct drop-in replacement for a TOM.
      If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

the wooden one would not drop in
        it is cut to sit over the anchors
        it floats on the guitar top
        moves back and forth
        side to side

is there anything about your guitar that you do like
        I think you may just need a different guitar

you have about half a dozen threads about drastic changes to one thing or another
        why did you get the Wildcat if you want it to be a strat?
        EHD
        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

You might try nylon saddles. A bit warmer than brass or steel.

My Wildkat is actually pretty warm sounding for a P90 guitar.

Have you thought about mag swaps for your pickups?

Or partially degaussing the A5s that are in there?
          see post #4 here, and post #45 on page 3 of the same thread, How To Degauss:

(EDIT: That link shows an easy way to try it without having to remove the pickups...)
          Last edited by eclecticsynergy; 05-17-2020, 04:28 PM.
          "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

The wooden bridge suggested above would work if you use the floating base instead of the TOM posts.
            Just unscrew the bridge posts when you take off the bridge, and use the wooden base as if it were an archtop guitar.
            No need to remove the anchor sockets as long as they're flush with the surface, the wooden base can just sit right over them.
            Best thing is, it'd be reversible in just a few minutes if you don't like the way it sounds.
            "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Not asking my Wildkat to be a strat-

Just asking- if there was a TOM bridge made out of wood- that would make a direct replacement fit.

(hmm... what an idea.. I could make thousands!!)

Thanks for the tip ecleticsynergy.

-Erlend.

Comment

I made a few out of exotic wood scraps. Easy. I carry them in my LP cases if I want a woodier sound. Any Gibson spaced archtop saddle will work but it may be too tall. You can rectify that with some judicious sanding.

Comment

Unfortunately I don't think Gibson spaced archtop bridges will fit on the Wildkat posts; a Gibson TOM won't fit it either.
                  It has a slightly narrower post spacing and the fatter import-style bridge posts.

Comment

site tells you the spacing is 75.69 mm

ABR-1 is 73.66 mm

Nashville is 73.5 mm
                    EHD
                    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
                      https://www.stewmac.com/parts-and-ha...xoCgesQAvD_BwE

site tells you the spacing is 75.69 mm

ABR-1 is 73.66 mm

Nashville is 73.5 mm
                      But don't forget that a standard Gibson TOM or Nashville bridge won't fit the Wildkat either.
                      Maybe with a set of conversion posts, but I still think the post spacing is different. I could be wrong.
                      The Resomax I got for mine is designed to fit the import 6mm posts, so I didn't have to measure the spacing.

Comment

Originally posted by SoPhx View Post
                        I made a few out of exotic wood scraps. Easy. I carry them in my LP cases if I want a woodier sound. Any Gibson spaced archtop saddle will work but it may be too tall. You can rectify that with some judicious sanding.
                        Will you make me one, for - let's say 50 dollars + shipping?

Comment

Why don't you just sell your Wildkat. It's not the guitar you want it to be. Buy a Godin.
                          "It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled" - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Fender_Punk View Post
                            Why don't you just sell your Wildkat. It's not the guitar you want it to be. Buy a Godin.
                            Ok thank you. I didnt know...

Comment

It fits just fine when you use the Epi/Gibson conversion posts. As does a Gibson ABR1 or a Gibson spaced archtop saddle. But thanks for playing.

Comment

Working...
                              X