Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Seymour Duncan "pickup booster"- to fatten tone of "Epi Wildkat P90's"

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
    Those Uptown Kats are a really cool update/upgrade to the Kat family.

I see they're made like the ES series, with laminate top & back and a full center block, rather than the carved-out-body/maple cap construction of the Wildkat & others. I didn't expect that and think it should help make them more feedback-resistant. It also increases the cost though.

Ebony board is a plus too. They're really pretty.
    Yes; they are basically a trapeze Epi 339, but with MUCH better looks.

The gold hardware on everything but the blue one really sucks, though. Ick!

They are what the Kat series always should have been IMO.

If I wanted a Kat with P90s, I'd get another Uptown and convert. Far superior guitars IMO.
    Last edited by ItsaBass; 05-19-2020, 05:03 PM.
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

I have a SD pickup booster. I think it's a great pedal. With the resonance switch in 0 it's a clean boost that doesn't color the sound. I don't have a guitar with P-90s but the resonant switch position 2 really fattens up my Tele's bridge single coil. To say it makes it sound more like a humbucker is fair.
      "It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled" - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Fender_Punk View Post
        I have a SD pickup booster. I think it's a great pedal. With the resonance switch in 0 it's a clean boost that doesn't color the sound. I don't have a guitar with P-90s but the resonant switch position 2 really fattens up my Tele's bridge single coil. To say it makes it sound more like a humbucker is fair.
        I agree. I use one with my Strat to hit the amp a lot harder. It isn't exactly like a humbucker, but 90%, sure.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I have zero experience with the SD Pickup Booster, so take this FWIW,

Just based on the first post where OP says sometimes he wants a thicker, darker tone, I'd highly recommend the Fulltone Fat Boost. I bought the FB3 ten years ago and it's been awesome. You would be able to fatten/darken any guitar, or thin out/brighten it. With or without a bit of extra tweed-like push and bloom on your tone.

If the SD pedal is tough to find, would Fulltone gear be any easier to come across in Norway?

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk
          • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
          • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
          • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
          • G&L Tribute Comanche
          • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
          • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
          • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            I have to say that the Pickup Booster's resonance switch does wonders for single coils and P90s. It is thicker and low pass filtery.
            Pickup Booster is the kind of cool useful thing I would have thrown under the hood of my guitar 25 years ago and put a 3 way switch and dual ring concentric pot addition on the knob,.... I still have clean boosts and tube screamers inside a few guitars

-even had a guitar with a photoresistor on the pickguard -so if I waved my hand in front of it below the pickups it would trigger some momentary logic to insert the boost -instead of using a pedal. Never worked as well as I wanted -except at the house under controlled ambient lighting.

Back then all this awesome pedal circuit info wasn't easy to come by, i had a dad, books, and some magazine info -I can't imagine the kind of stuff that I would have been doing with all the education available instantly now.

look at this beautiful mess... lol

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200520-093027_Instagram.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	5819168
            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
              Pickup Booster is the kind of cool useful thing I would have thrown under the hood of my guitar 25 years ago and put a 3 way switch and dual ring concentric pot addition on the knob,.... I still have clean boosts and tube screamers inside a few guitars

-even had a guitar with a photoresistor on the pickguard -so if I waved my hand in front of it below the pickups it would trigger some momentary logic to insert the boost -instead of using a pedal. Never worked as well as I wanted -except at the house under controlled ambient lighting.

Back then all this awesome pedal circuit info wasn't easy to come by, i had a dad, books, and some magazine info -I can't imagine the kind of stuff that I would have been doing with all the education available instantly now.

look at this beautiful mess... lol

[ATTACH=CONFIG]104955[/ATTACH]
              Well, wow! Looks like the place for a printed circuit board, right there!
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Cool story, but I just wanna know what that neck humbucker is?

Comment

The Pickup Booster is such a versatile pedal. I've used it first in the chain, to boost into drives, but currently have it on my small board after the drives as a solo boost.

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
                    Cool story, but I just wanna know what that neck humbucker is?
                    Oh my comment? the neck pickup? oh.... man -that pickup is my secret sauce for decades !!!!!!!
                    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                      Oh my comment? the neck pickup? oh.... man -that pickup is my secret sauce for decades !!!!!!!
                      Did you build it? I'm no pickup expert but I have never seen one like that

Comment

Working...
                      X