Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seymour Duncan "pickup booster"- to fatten tone of "Epi Wildkat P90's"

I think the SD Pickup Booster- apart from its clean boost-

has a smart thing going- with "lowering the resonant frequency of the pickup plugged in"-

I wonder how this is achieved- maybe with a coil in series with the input signal?

Well, I got an Epiphone Wildkat. "Koa" model to be exact, with P90's.

Sometimes, I want a thicker, darker tone.

But the SD pickup booster is expensive, and hard to come by used here in Norway.

Any thoughts.

-Erlend
    If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Re: Seymour Duncan "pickup booster"- to fatten tone of "Epi Wildkat P90's"

It’s just an active band pass filter EQ Control.

“Position 1 will give your guitar a little more ‘teeth,’ while Position 2 gives you a hint of that ‘cocked-wah’ tone filter vibe which is great for leads.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Okay. I've thought about wiring a simple coil in series with my pickups, along with some boost- since the coil has some resistance.

If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

An easier way is to lower the input impedance. Resistance just reduces the signal. More windings on a pickup is different since it’s generating the signal. The windings add to each other.

But a lower input impedance also flattens the resonant peak. And every style pickup would sound different.

The Pickup Booster does have a fairly low input impedance. They have it listed at 250k, as opposed to 1M for most devices. That’s probably to not give a high end boost you get from a buffer removing the load from the pickup.

[EDIT]

Ok, the resonance switch just switches between two capacitors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have to say that the Pickup Booster's resonance switch does wonders for single coils and P90s. It is thicker and low pass filtery.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Swapping in one A8 magnet on the side away from the neck can do a world of good for a P90 bridge pickup.
            I'd like to try A6 in a P90 one day, fattens & warms without increasing output like A8 does.

Lovepedal Elephant Man is a mu-amp boost that subtly fattens even at unity gain. Great pedal for after dirt.

Fulltone makes a pedal called the Fat Boost; haven't tried it myself but plenty of used ones are available.
            "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

You know they make a Wildkat with mini Humbuckers and block inlays, right?

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                You know they make a Wildkat with mini Humbuckers and block inlays, right?
                The AlleyKat had a mini hum at the neck and a regular one at the bridge, cool guitars.
                But they stopped making them more than ten years ago. Easy to find 'em used I guess.

Is there a model with two minis?
                "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Uptown Kat

EHD
                  Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                  RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                  SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                  Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                  Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                  Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                  Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                  GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

^^ Nice axe.

But I'm a poor! bohemian- on welfare,,, and i got my koa Wildkat for the Koa top (and P90s)

Can't afford another guitar.

What I've considered doing, is to get a "surface mount" pickup, and install it just infront of my bridge PU. And wire it in series, with an on/off switch.

That would def. fatten things up.

(but the surface mount pickup is chrome, the rest is gold- and I don't want to drill more holes):

Thanks for any tips though.

-Erl

Comment

If you could make a mini Humbucker housing out of a dog ear P-90 cover, you could put mini Humbuckers in your Kat.

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
                        Sweet!And a real looker, too, in any one of those metallic finishes.
                        Not a big fan of mini hums myself, though. A bit too too tight & thin for my taste.

Comment

Interesting. I had a Wildkat back around '03–'04. It was a very muddy guitar. Thickness was the last thing it needed. It needed bass attenuation, not what the Pickup Booster does in mode 2 (makes a single coil sound more like a humbucker).

Just got my blue Uptown Kat today. It is an outstanding guitar for the price. This example is the nicest built import Epi I've ever seen, outside of the Japanese made ones (which are better built than Gibsons IME). I had to really look to find any flaws, and when I did, they were minor. Much better build quality than my '03.

Only mentioning that because someone else in the thread did. It doesn't solve your issue.

At any rate, I think you can get what you want with a combination of onboard control manipulation and amp manipulation. In other words, good-ol' knob twistin'. Boost the midrange and low end on your amp. Use more gain. And/or taper off the treble a bit with your onboard tone knob and/or your amp's treble knob.

I think a foot stompable active e.q. pedal is the first pedal everyone should have. You can set it to do so many different things...including what you are asking for. If everyone had these, and knew how to use them really well, the aftermarket pickup industry would take a big hit, and we wouldn't have a whole ton to rap about here.
                          Last edited by ItsaBass; 05-19-2020, 04:39 PM.
                          Originally posted by LesStrat
                          Yogi Berra was correct.
                          Originally posted by JOLLY
                          I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                            If you could make a mini Humbucker housing out of a dog ear P-90 cover, you could put mini Humbuckers in your Kat.

They only make low profile ones I think. But if necessary you could use standard dogear shims to raise the bridge ring.

Comment

Those Uptown Kats are a really cool update/upgrade to the Kat family.

I see they're made like the ES series, with laminate top & back and a full center block, rather than the carved-out-body/maple cap construction of the Wildkat & others. I didn't expect that and think it should help make them more feedback-resistant. It also increases the cost though.

Ebony board is a plus too. They're really pretty.

Comment

Working...
                              X