Pickups for gibson explorer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickups for gibson explorer

Got the 2018 antique natural coming, and it has the burstbucker 2 and 3 pickups as stock. I may or may not like them, we'll see.

If I don't, and that's highly probable as I've not really bonded with gibson pickups in the past, I'm looking for lower output pickups to try out. Antiquities, seth lovers, Dimarzio paf anniversary or similar? It's an all mahogany guitar with a Torrefied Granadillo fretboard, but you probably knew that already...

I want dynamics and sensitivity, sweet rather than rude...

Thanks
    Last edited by SF audio; 05-17-2020, 12:33 PM.

Re: Pickups for gibson explorer

If you really like lower wound pickups, you will dig the seth Lover set.
    Last edited by hamerfan; 05-17-2020, 01:06 PM.
    I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

If you don't like the BB3 in the bridge, try moving the BB2 there. It's a little more open and a little lower output. Once you know what you like and don't like about those pickups, it would be a lot easier to point you towards something you will like. Otherwise, you're most likely just going to get people suggesting their favorite pickups over and over again.

Comment

BB2 to the bridge, Seth neck or PGn in the neck.
        Originally posted by LesStrat
        Yogi Berra was correct.
        Originally posted by JOLLY
        I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

If you love classic PAF's, I think you'll be fine with the BB's.

Dirty Fingers
          500T
          BB1,2,3's

And depending on your taste maybe the 57 Classics

All seem to pretty decent. I'd never replace BB 1/2 set for PG's. Doubt I'd replace them at all if I wanted PAF stylings.
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

An Alnico II set is sweet, and good if you use a ton of gain and volume. You might get some microphonic feedback on Seths or Antiquities if you are using a lot of gain and volume...but if you don't use those things, the Seths and Antiquties are really the definition of sweet, touch-sensitive tone.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Creme Brulees from Rewind are vintage output and very sweet indeed.
              "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I like the BB1 at the neck of my LP Trad Plus. It was the BB2 at the bridge that I couldn't live with.
                Still, that's a very bright guitar - in a warm or fat one I imagine it would do much better.
                "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by hamerfan View Post
                  If you really like lower wound pickups, you will dig the seth Lover set.
                  Or the Antiquity set. Either is great but the Seths are slightly brighter and the Ants slightly more textured and complex.

The best pickups I own are the Antiquitys I put in my PRS and then changed the magnet in the neck pickup to an A3 roughcast.

Thanks to this forums magnet swappers (like Bluesman) I'm finally getting the sound I've always wanted, and I've been playing since about 1964.
                  “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

I think one of the best Explorers I've ever heard had Antiquitys. Guy was doing classic rock and blues, Marshall amp, and it was just killer. Actually, one of the contributing reasons why I went with Duncan Seths and Antiquitys in my first two Les Pauls.

Bill
                    When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by TMD
                      +1 on the BB2... to the bridge... captain's orders... I had a friend who used to make fun of me for having a BB3 in the bridge of my Epiphone Les Paul. He'd say, "You gotta get that death metal pickup outta there!"
                      I liked the BB3 and BB1 combo when it was in my Les Paul, worked well for my 90s band. I moved that combo to my 335 and I'm tempted to go back to the BB2 in the bridge and use it for less distorted tones.

Comment

I have a set of Slash signature in my explorer, wouldn't change a thing, of course it depends on what style music, I play much blues and get awesome bell tones with the neck pup and I also do classic rock so the bridge pup is great for that, great sustain when I crank it up!
                        "I can't play the blues if Im sad"

Comment

Originally posted by Boogie Bill View Post
                          I think one of the best Explorers I've ever heard had Antiquitys. Guy was doing classic rock and blues, Marshall amp, and it was just killer. Actually, one of the contributing reasons why I went with Duncan Seths and Antiquitys in my first two Les Pauls.

Bill
                          Only drawback to the Antiquity is that the covers are aged. So if you put them in a new guitar the pickups will look 50 years old and the rest of the guitar won't. I have Antiquity in my favorite guitars, but I removed the covers.
                          “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Ants can be ordered with non-aged hardware, or you can put it on yourself. Just factor in the additional cost of covers and screws.
                            Originally posted by LesStrat
                            Yogi Berra was correct.
                            Originally posted by JOLLY
                            I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

I put in a set of 57 Classic's in my 1984 Explorer CMT. The Dirty Finger's that came with it also sounded really good. I've been toying the idea of putting the Dirty Finger's back in.

Comment

Working...
                              X