Pickups for gibson explorer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pickups for gibson explorer

I think Explorers are more difficult to find a pickup match than other instruments. My '81 came stock with the Dirty Fingers. I tried to top them with a full Shred, 57 Classics, and ended up just putting the Dirty Fingers back. Overkill on the neck big time but I just don't use it on that guitar.

Comment

I'd go for the slash set or 78 (custom shop) bridge/59 neck. PAF perfection.

Comment

I haven’t ever had a problem with burstbuckers. Other gibson pickups have issues. But burstbuckers sound as good and play as well as Seth’s and PGs I have. I’ve even mixed them, like BB3 bridge Seth neck, matched really well. Have also had 500T bridge BB3 neck and that worked really well. Wait until there’s a problem, then think about how to solve it.

Comment

I have the BB1/BB2 in my les paul. They get the job done and I'm content. Apparently the 57 and 57+ are far more sought after than the BB. I think the slash set smokes the 57s.

Comment

Dimarzio 59 PAF is a good lower output option, very clear. Do you want covers? The Dimarzio only comes double creme, I am not sure if that is a deal breaker. Antiquity and Seths are great as well, better to many optioins than not enough!

Comment

So after getting the guitar, as I suspected I"m not in love with the BB 2/3 combo. The 2 in the neck is useable to me, but the 3 in the bridge...it's not that they sound bad, but just the voice/tone of these pickups don't do it for me.
              The explorer is a big slab of mahogany which makes the guitar sound warmer/less bright and not as snappy as my other guitars. Seems that this type of guitar would benefit from pickups that cut well, with a brighter attack. So I'll be looking for low to medium output pickups that are on the brighter side. The guitar has this resonate kinda thick sound and would seem a pickup with a lot of bass would not be its friend.

Comment

Originally posted by jimlp View Post
                Dimarzio 59 PAF is a good lower output option, very clear. Do you want covers? The Dimarzio only comes double creme, I am not sure if that is a deal breaker.
                What? They come in double cream, black, black/cream zebra, or with rose gold covers.

Comment

Not sure if they've been recommended to you yet, but the '59 set or the Pearly Gates set could work.
                  Epiphone Les Paul Tbte Plus (SD custom shop humbucker & SH2b neck)

Comment

The BurstBucker 5 set (a/k/a BB Pro) are pretty nice. Or a DiMarzio Breed set is also pretty nice in mahogany.

Comment

Not sure if they've been recommended to you yet, but the '59 set or the Pearly Gates set could work.
                      Epiphone Les Paul Tbte Plus (SD custom shop humbucker & SH2b neck)

Comment

Working...
                      X