Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Ibanez wood fraud

Default Re: Ibanez wood fraud

Quote Originally Posted by TMD View Post
    So, more dishonesty. I don’t think someone buying a $300 necessarily deserves premium tonewoods, but they don’t deserve to be lied to.
    no matter if you pay 300 dollars, or 3000 for a Gibson (or other)

You shouldn't be lied to.

My opinion ^^

If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!

Then you KNOW you shouldn't ever buy a $3k Gibson - because they absolutely lie about what went into that!

Quote Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
    Then you KNOW you shouldn't ever buy a $3k Gibson - because they absolutely lie about what went into that!
    At least I paid less than that for my Explorer, which is probably papier-mâché.

Quote Originally Posted by vinta9e View Post
    Dear Watson, I have found no meaningful difference between furniture grade "mahogany" and pallet grade "poplar" or whatever species it might actually be or pose to be. At this price point it is either random leftovers or the cheapest stuff they could get their hands on. Any resonance it might have is coincidental; there isn't even a cork to sniff, just a plastic cap. Tonewood in cheap guitars is as plentiful as water in the desert but if you insist on searching, be my guest.

A cheapo Ibby is not "real mahogany" but a lowly piece of nyatoh at best. It's not exactly a secret, nonetheless some people choose to kid themselves rather than ask.

The flaw in your reasoning is that one nicely made guitar in ten thousand is meaningless. As an extreme example, they could have a show piece ghostbuilt by an elite luthier for $10k and it would only take one extra dollar out of poor Joe's pocket to pay for the whole scheme.
    unfortunately we live in a time where we really need to do our our own homework because we can't trust anyone but there should still be honesty in advertising. Regardless if Ibanez bought that wood as supposed mahogany, they have a responsibility as a manufacturer and international company to research it. They employ supposed professionals, there is no way that they didn't know what was going on. I don't give a rat's ass what it cost or what the price point was.

You can't tell me that Ibanez didn't know what it was. And there is no reason not to label it as it should be.
    Last edited by solspirit; 06-27-2020 at 10:01 AM.

Does anyone really think that any large international wood instrument company would not know enough about wood to advertise something as something else not knowingly?
    They did this because it was an accepted term in the furniture trade because, people are uninformed or uneducated about what they are buying.
    there is no reason that every single guitar manufacturer cannot give the Latin or scientific name for every wood that they use therefore, eliminating any confusion.
    Last edited by solspirit; 06-27-2020 at 11:02 AM.

But hey... Who needs regulations?
    Lol

The bottom line here is the OP is being unreasonable - just like the Gibson chamber/short tenon people.

We could all rock a GR300 all night no problem. OP is more worried about the specs than actually playing/sound.

Deception not withstanding, which is wrong....

Default Re: Ibanez wood fraud (or not)?

Quote Originally Posted by WDeeGee View Post

I checked the serial number, she is from the year 2017, and so supposed to have a mahogany body, according to Ibanez's catalogues.

I bought it because their 2017 catalogue said it was mahogany.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
    The bottom line here is the OP is being unreasonable .
    Actually, this is the bottom line......literally, the bottom line of Page 1 in the 2017 catalog. "All specifications are subject to change without notice.".

http://resources.ibanez.com/resource...ez_Catalog.pdf
    Last edited by JOLLY; 06-28-2020 at 02:14 PM.

“We want to sell you on these specs and let you make buying decisions based on them, but we don’t want to be held responsible for any of it.”

There is nowhere for this conversation to go until it is proven that the wood in question is not actually something that is routinely called "mahogany" in the wood trade.

Again, hundreds of different types of trees, spanning a variety of characteristics, are routinely sold as "mahogany" – wood-industry-wide, not just in relation to guitars.
    Quote Originally Posted by LesStrat View Post
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by JOLLY View Post
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by ItsaBass View Post
    There is nowhere for this conversation to go until it is proven that the wood in question is not actually something that is routinely called "mahogany" in the wood trade.
    I don’t see why we can’t continue to talk about what we think is ethical behavior for a guitar company and what are reasonable expectations for a consumer. Of course, we also welcome any insights into how the guitar industry and wood trade actually work.

I don’t see why we can’t continue to talk about what we think is ethical behavior for a guitar company and what are reasonable expectations for a consumer. Of course, we also welcome any insights into how the guitar industry and wood trade actually work.
    This

Actually, this is the bottom line......literally, the bottom line of Page 1 in the 2017 catalog. "All specifications are subject to change without notice.".

http://resources.ibanez.com/resource...ez_Catalog.pdf
    Good god Ibanez makes a lot of guitars! I gave up scrolling at Hollow bodies....

I could never make it past the hollow bodies either
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Talk about whatever, all you want. I didn't say not to. I said the conversation isn't going to go anywhere except in circles.

People keep saying that Ibanez stated one wood, and used another. We don't know that to be true. We will never know, because the OP won't carve up his bass and pay for lab tests.

There isn't much discussion or argument to be had over whether a company should give you what it says it's giving you. You will be hard pressed to find someone who doesn't believe that. The question is whether that's what happened here. So far, I've seen nothing definitive showing that it is. A blurry picture of wood that could probably reasonably be called mahogany, following wood industry naming conventions, is not something to make definitive statements over, as several people are doing here.

Again, when guitar makers say "mahogany," they are being vague on purpose. It gives them wiggle room to source a variety of species of lumber for the same products. It helps them keep costs down. I don't see a problem with that, as long as what they're giving you is something that is routinely called "mahogany" in the lumber trade...which is a LOT of stuff.

Should
    they be more specific? Well, of course, as hobbyists, we would like them to be. But I don't know about "should." I myself am perfectly content to let a low end line of instruments be made out of some general category of wood, if it helps keeps the prices low by allowing them to be less specific in the lumber that they purchase. Should they lie? No. But I don't think they did that here, and even if they did, we can't prove it based on what we know.
    Last edited by ItsaBass; 06-29-2020 at 05:20 PM.
    Yogi Berra was correct.

Meh... IAB... You're bending over... I want truth in advertising you told me you're giving me mahogany I want ****ing mahogany I don't care what it is you're selling just make sure you label it correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by solspirit View Post
    Meh... IAB... You're bending over... I want truth in advertising you told me you're giving me mahogany I want ****ing mahogany I don't care what it is you're selling just make sure you label it correctly.
    For the umpteenth time, we don’t know anything that leads us to believe that this is not a wood commonly referred to as “Mahogany” in the lumber industry. Again, hundreds of different types of lumber are called that.
    Yogi Berra was correct.

This thread’s gonna be like the rockman thread. Except, in before the lock.
    Quote Originally Posted by Demanic
    Incompetence is widespread in a world that rewards mediocrity while punishing excellence.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarFanatic
    I am currently using Skullcandy headphones I found in the garbage.
    I did find the DS-1 in the garbage.
    I once found a guitar amp in the garbage, a Peavey Studio 110. It caught fire at the first gig I played it at.. But it was at the end of it, thank god.

Quote Originally Posted by ItsaBass View Post
    For the umpteenth time, we don’t know anything that leads us to believe that this is not a wood commonly referred to as “Mahogany” in the lumber industry. Again, hundreds of different types of lumber are called that.
    Hundreds?

Only 2 as far as I know, Sapele & Khaya,...
    mahogany is a very regulated wood whoever buys it, knows what they're buying.
    Last edited by solspirit; 06-30-2020 at 07:13 AM.

There's also the fact that absolutely nothing behaves like mahogany when you're working with it, so they would know immediately. regardless of what they bought it as,. Even if it was bought as mahogany, they would be misleading and lying selling it as mahogany.