Ibanez wood fraud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ibanez wood fraud

Oh really? You make fun of me because I can't afford a fancy instrument? Classy.

Snobbish twit.

Comment

Originally posted by WDeeGee View Post
      Oh really? You make fun of me because I can't afford a fancy instrument? Classy.

Snobbish twit.
      your first post trashed an entire company
      because of your budget

nice
      EHD
      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Wood is wood.

There are differences, but thinking fancier woods are somehow better is just pointless corksniffery.

This I think is just about principle.
        "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
        Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Snobbish twit.
          You did NOT say that to me!?!?!?! I am the king of cheap @$$ effing junk guitars and defenders of a righteous tone even if it comes off a broom with a twine string being transmitted through a refrigerator magnet!

You sir, as mentioned, trashed a company, and then got all tone wood about it. I have some junky guitars that I love. But I don't go nuts on them for "Floyd Rose Fraud" or anything.

Set your expectations appropriately, and avoid disappointment. That does not mean accept broken junk.
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

To the OP: If I was going to be upset about anything, it would be that the body seems to be wrapped in about an 1/8" plastic coating. Maybe it's just the photo angle, but that "finish" looks bizarre.

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            Gibson used balsa as the center block of many 90s-era semihollows.
            Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
            Which, as it turns out - isn't so bad. Billy Gibbons has a guitar made of balsa, it looks like a big jazz box. I think Dean built it?
            Originally posted by Demanic View Post
            I wonder how balsa wrapped in carbon fiber would sound.
            Yamaha actually did something like this with their RGX A2 model:

The A.I.R. construction body offers a 3 ‘sound tube’ bridge design that allows the entire internal interior area to vibrate while the surrounding harder wood material prevents the sound from escaping. These intensified internal vibrations are then efficiently communicated to the pickups by the solid wood Falkata wood core (a very light weight wood similar to Balsawood that is very environmentally friendly) and this core is covered by Agathis.
            Last edited by ArtieToo; 06-07-2020, 08:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
              To the OP: If I was going to be upset about anything, it would be that the body seems to be wrapped in about an 1/8" plastic coating. Maybe it's just the photo angle, but that "finish" looks bizarre.

Yamaha actually did something like this with their RGX A2 model:
              The AGX A2 was a very light guitar, and a pretty awesome idea. But the marketing looked especially deceptive...a lot of words for what is essentially a form of plywood with balsa in the center.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                Yeah, so what... It's still a budget fiddle and should not be judged by the same standards as higher tier guitars...

Dear OP, no reason to be so butthurt about this simple fact, please read on.

It is the policy of all major brand name owners is that the entry level stuff should just about intonate and stay solid but if you want fancy features, you gotta pay up with diminishing returns. You can call it snob or you can say that discerning customers are welcome to open their wallets a little wider, it's the same thing in essence... Don't forget large scale guitar building is yet another money making machine and please adjust your expectations to reality.

Comment

In internet slang, a troll is a person who starts flame wars or upsets people on the Internet by posting inflammatory and digressive,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into displaying emotional responses[2] and normalizing tangential discussion,[3] either for the troll's amusement or a specific gain.
                  Troll thread
                  EHD

Comment

Hey guys,

I think we gotta be gentle here,

OP's got a point.

If you're paying for an instrument, where the manufacturer states it's made out of "Wood A",
                    but you find out, that it's made out of "Wood B"- then yes, I'd state that the manufacturer is lieing,
                    and fooling their customers... :o

-Erl
                    If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Erlend_G View Post
                      Hey guys,

I think we gotta be gentle here,

OP's got a point.

If you're paying for an instrument, where the manufacturer states it's made out of "Wood A",
                      but you find out, that it's made out of "Wood B"- then yes, I'd state that the manufacturer is lieing,
                      and fooling their customers... :o

-Erl
                      You can't reliably make a state of the art musical instrument of this kind for $300 without ripping off your employees and your customers. Advertising is often quite disgusting in practice and while I couldn't blame a kid for being naive but adults are expected to do their due diligence and if not, it's by their own choice. Cheap guitars are being made of cheap materials, corners are cut, got promised champagne on a beer budget, surprised it wasn't quite delivered, I beg your pardon?

Originally posted by TMD
                      Every sales brochure should have a picture of an unfinished guitar next to the completed instruments. That way people still won’t know what they’re getting, but they’ll know what it looks like.
                      They should photograph each and every one? Or just one, specially prepared to look best? How's that for a choice?
                      Last edited by vinta9e; 06-22-2020, 03:32 PM.

Comment

^^ I still think it's bad practice, to advertise something for something it's not.

Regardless of it's a "cheap guitar" or a high-end Gibson.
                        If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

OP here, two things:

1) Not wholly unrelated: the bass sounded thin, and had weak sustain. Because the 2017 Ibz catalogue claimed the bass was made of mahogany, but the wood wasn't reddish (as I had understood mahogany to be), I assumed the bad sound was because they used an inferior wood, thus conning their customer (we are all customers here). Turns out adjusting the pickup height solved the tone/sustain problem really well. If the tone was good to begin with, I probably wouldn't have made such a big fuss about it.

2) Yes, I opted to use the strongest possible term ("fraud") in the title to get attention. Apparently it worked and I found the discussion very worthwhile. Thank you. I learned that some mahogany is white, that "mahogany" isn't strictly "mahogany", and so on. Also learned that adjusting pickup height does so very much for a bass (I'm primarily a guitar player), or maybe it's characteristic of the Powerspan pups to be so sensitive to pup height?

I agree that it is logical guitar manufacturers would lump similar wood types together under the same banner if that is what suppliers do too (it would be cumbersome, expensive and near impossible for manufacturers to figure out what kind of tree each batch really is). As said, if they really wanted only one exact type of wood, they may run out of supply. That is not feasable for mass produced budget guitars. Given how players are focused on tonewood names (mahogany, maple..) specifying all of this in the catalogues would be confusing and probably offputting. Ultimately, if it sounds good and plays well, who cares what it's made of? I don't. Quite happy with what the bass is for its price, tbh.

Thanks for chippin' in, y'all.
                          In his own post
                          Point #2
                          He admits to trolling
                          EHD

Comment

Maybe just use the word Mahogany with quotes like this

"Mahogany"
                            EHD

Comment

This is 10 years old so I'm sure there are more out there now.

Comment

Dear Watson, I have found no meaningful difference between furniture grade "mahogany" and pallet grade "poplar" or whatever species it might actually be or pose to be. At this price point it is either random leftovers or the cheapest stuff they could get their hands on. Any resonance it might have is coincidental; there isn't even a cork to sniff, just a plastic cap. Tonewood in cheap guitars is as plentiful as water in the desert but if you insist on searching, be my guest.

Originally posted by TMD
                                Just one. Prep it however they want, but at least everyone will know it’s not real mahogany.
                                A cheapo Ibby is not "real mahogany" but a lowly piece of nyatoh at best. It's not exactly a secret, nonetheless some people choose to kid themselves rather than ask.

The flaw in your reasoning is that one nicely made guitar in ten thousand is meaningless. As an extreme example, they could have a show piece ghostbuilt by an elite luthier for $10k and it would only take one extra dollar out of poor Joe's pocket to pay for the whole scheme.

Comment

Working...
                                X