No announcement yet.

How can I wire a SD-PG-1n in this way?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I wire a SD-PG-1n in this way?

First of all, thsnks for your time and help. So the long history:

I got a 1 single 1 HB guitar, with volume, tone and a 3 way switch.

So I want to solder it like:

Position 1: Single coil near bridge, witch only volume knob active.

Position 2: Both coils (high output) with just volume active.

Position 3 Both Coils (high output) with volume and tone actives.

How can I do it, if possible post a wiring diagram please, I cant find it anywere.

If it is impossible, witch other wiring digram you can sugest? I was thinking in something like old esquier with 1 cap an lots of tone capabilities.

It have 4 wires (black, green, white and red and a grey one.)

Well, one more time, thanks for your time and help.

*Sorry if I miss types something, english isn't my mother language.

Re: How can I wire a SD-PG-1n in this way?

Can’t be done with a normal 3-way blade. You need both sides of the switch to manage the pickups, which leaves no lugs to switch the tone in and out.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
      Can’t be done with a normal 3-way blade. You need both sides of the switch to manage the pickups, which leaves no lugs to switch the tone in and out.
      Wouldn't both pickups be easy to wire on same side with master volume and that would leave other side for tone controls?
      "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
      Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
        Wouldn't both pickups be easy to wire on same side with master volume and that would leave other side for tone controls?
        Do you have any wiring diagram for it?

Any wiring diagrm for this tele configuration would be cool to. I'm just out of ideas and I dunno what to do.

Thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
          You can’t combine two pickups on the same side of a 3-way blade in the middle position because if you do, they’ll both be always on.

Comment

We can work backwards here...what sounds are you going for? And what are you trying to accomplish? I didn't think an idea like this could be done with stock parts, but I am also wondering what other things can accomplish this. There is a no load tone pot that Fender uses, which takes the tone control out of the circuit. You can use a switch or push/pull for the coil cutting.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
              We can work backwards here...what sounds are you going for? And what are you trying to accomplish? I didn't think an idea like this could be done with stock parts, but I am also wondering what other things can accomplish this. There is a no load tone pot that Fender uses, which takes the tone control out of the circuit. You can use a switch or push/pull for the coil cutting.
              Im just noob in soldering and wiring diagrams, but since my guitar have only 1 HB in the bridge, I wanted a single coil sound, a humbuker sound and something to make it a little dark.

Comment

How can I wire a SD-PG-1n in this way?

I just realized you are only using 1 neck pickup as a bridge. I read the PG neck pickup and got it in my head you had two pickups.

You could do this. Considering a 3-way blade has two sides, with the “common” lug for each side at opposite ends, like this:

C | 1
                1 | 2
                2 | 3
                3 | C

You’d wire the common on one side to ground and wire the red+white of the pickup to lug 1 on that same side of the switch. On the other side of the switch, wire common to hot and wire the tone control to lug 3.

Comment

A simple push/pull will split the coils, while the tone knob will darken the tone as much as you want. You can experiment with different values of the cap for the tone knob if you want a different flavor of 'dark'.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I just realized you are only using 1 neck pickup as a bridge. I read the PG neck pickup and got it in my head you had two pickups.

You could do this. Considering a 3-way blade has two sides, with the “common” lug for each side at opposite ends, like this:

C | 1
                    1 | 2
                    2 | 3
                    3 | C

You’d wire the common on one side to ground and wire the red+white of the pickup to lug 1 on that same side of the switch. On the other side of the switch, wire common to hot and wire the tone control to lug 3.
                    This seems cool, but I cannot figure out how to do it, can you please draw it?

My switch is like 3 2 1 C C 3 2 1, well it have 8 in line terminals, I think it is this way. the 2 500k pot have 3 terminals.

Thank you for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                      A simple push/pull will split the coils, while the tone knob will darken the tone as much as you want. You can experiment with different values of the cap for the tone knob if you want a different flavor of 'dark'.
                      Thanks for the idea, but I just can't understand, I need a drawed thing, In other words an idiot proof scheme.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheiffer View Post
                        This seems cool, but I cannot figure out how to do it, can you please draw it?

My switch is like 3 2 1 C C 3 2 1, well it have 8 in line terminals, I think it is this way. the 2 500k pot have 3 terminals.

Thank you for the help.
                        I can’t draw something at the moment but it’s simple to describe.

Let’s treat your switch as left and right.

On the left you have 3 2 1 C
                        On the right you have C 3 2 1

Let’s use the left side for the pickup coil split. Wire left C to ground. Solder the red and white wires of the pickup to left 1

Let’s use the right side for the tone control. Wire the right C to the same lug on the volume control the pickup black wire is connected to. Wire right 3 to the tone control. (If your tone control is currently connected to your volume, just move that connection wire from the volume over to right side lug number 3.)

If I can find time I’ll draw it but it won’t happen for a day or to even if I can get to it.

Comment

I can’t draw something at the moment but it’s simple to describe.

Let’s treat your switch as left and right.

On the left you have 3 2 1 C
                          On the right you have C 3 2 1

Let’s use the left side for the pickup coil split. Wire left C to ground. Solder the red and white wires of the pickup to left 1

Let’s use the right side for the tone control. Wire the right C to the same lug on the volume control the pickup black wire is connected to. Wire right 3 to the tone control. (If your tone control is currently connected to your volume, just move that connection wire from the volume over to right side lug number 3.)

If I can find time I’ll draw it but it won’t happen for a day or to even if I can get to it.
                          First of all, thanks for your time again.

I made a draw, I just need to verify if I understood everything.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	circuito.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	5819163

I still have some questions:

1- The ground wire will go from the switch to jack?
                          2- where the grren wire goes?
                          3 - does volume and tone have no wires between them?

Sorry about my draw, hope you understand.
                          And thank very much for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheiffer View Post

1- The ground wire will go from the switch to jack?
                            2- where the grren wire goes?
                            3 - does volume and tone have no wires between them?

Drawing looks right.

1. Yes
                            2. Green and bare goes to ground for Duncan pickups
                            3. No, because the switch is now controlling when the tone is connected to the volume.

Comment

Drawing looks right.

1. Yes
                              2. Green and bare goes to ground for Duncan pickups
                              3. No, because the switch is now controlling when the tone is connected to the volume.
                              Hum, I think I'm getting there, some more questions:

1 - Green and bare will be soldered with the jack ground on the switch?
                              2 - Tone knob will have just 1 wire? If no where the second one goes?
                              3 - The volume knob will use just 1 kung or should I use the 2 external ones?

Thanks again for your help.

Comment

Working...
                              X