banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Each pedal on pedalboard - connector in/out+true bypass - how much capacitance added?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Each pedal on pedalboard - connector in/out+true bypass - how much capacitance ad

Like I said, each player’s preference is going to be different. For me, I like consistency. It was actually switching my delay to buffered bypass that did the most for me. Previously turning delay on/off (even with other pedals engaged before) would cause volume jumps/drops depending on the other pedals engaged.

Originally posted by Erlend_G View Post
    My Blackstar HT-20mkII sounds different- with a Joyo analog delay in between amp and guitar- or going straight cable,
    I've guessed this to be an "impedance" issue.
    Is the Joyo true bypass? If so, you are also adding all the capacitance of the pedal->amp as well when bypassed.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Re: Each pedal on pedalboard - connector in/out+true bypass - how much capacitance ad

Well, loop bypass pedals are expensive because all of the relays. There are a few kits out there to build them, and if this sort of thing is something that bothers you, than they are the solution.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I want to give cred to Pedal Board committee giving me idea to buffer early - so right now very happy.
        Curiosity drives to understand more though, always....are there any bad seeds in my pedal collection.....

Comment

Originally posted by Larioso View Post
          I want to give cred to Pedal Board committee giving me idea to buffer early - so right now very happy.
          Curiosity drives to understand more though, always....are there any bad seeds in my pedal collection.....
          Any vintage MXR or Electro Harmonix pedals? They had the horrible “half” bypass that left the circuit still attached on one end. Some wahs are bad too. If they are all new “true bypass” pedals then I’m sure they are ok.
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

True bypass is a fad. Once it was an improvement compared to cheap pedals with SPDT foot switches that left the input connected.

The loss of highs is why Boss started doing the buffered FET switching, as well as no switch pops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If Boss gave you the choice would be nice.
              I have other pedals that do - you have true bypass or allow tailes to ring out when disengaged, so buffered. Internal switch.
              Then you could have buffered where you wanted.
              It does not fix switch pops of course, but at least a choice.

Some of these bypass loopers are arranged that way - and choice is yours.

I have 2 dual pedal bypass switchers(none, either or both), but use only one currently for two pedals that don't have true bypass.
              And nothing stops you from having a couple of pedals in each loop either. Those rarely used could have it's own loop, so out of circuit most of the time.

Many ways to go about it, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Larioso View Post
                If Boss gave you the choice would be nice.
                I have other pedals that do - you have true bypass or allow tailes to ring out when disengaged, so buffered. Internal switch.
                Then you could have buffered where you wanted.
                It does not fix switch pops of course, but at least a choice.
                It's not really possible. Because of the way the regular boss pedal housing is constructed the standard 3pdt switch just won't physically fit.
                Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                  It's not really possible. Because of the way the regular boss pedal housing is constructed the standard 3pdt switch just won't physically fit.
                  I present... the TU-3W:

Selectable buffered bypass or true bypass.

I really like the soft touch style bypass switches, they can either switch a relay or a JFET and can have a buffer or not.
                  Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                    I present... the TU-3W:

Selectable buffered bypass or true bypass.

I really like the soft touch style bypass switches, they can either switch a relay or a JFET and can have a buffer or not.
                    Huh, I'd like to take one apart and see how they did that.
                    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                      Huh, I'd like to take one apart and see how they did that.
                      It's Boss man, of course it's done with unicorns and fairy dust in their magic factory in Shizuoka Prefecture
                      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

With relays you don't have the problem with dimensions as a mechanical switch, you can spread them on a circuit board.

A push button style closing switch with a one-shot circuit(just a resistor+cap to debounce mechanical contacts, so one press does not become many) and a flip/flop circuit to engage or release a relay.

I have a couple pedals that has that feel to it - not so hard to press and relay driven probably.

Good thinking there on Boss Tuner it seems.
                        Pity it didn't spread all over to full line of pedals.

Really nice feel to engage/release the Boss pedals, not just a small push switch.
                        I still have a Boss Bass Synth I think, to fiddle with bass sounds.
                        Had a DD3 in the 70's but got rid of it.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
                          True bypass is a fad. Once it was an improvement compared to cheap pedals with SPDT foot switches that left the input connected.

The loss of highs is why Boss started doing the buffered FET switching, as well as no switch pops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          It's really not, having more than 1-2 buffered pedals / chain is just a pointless source of problems.
                          "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                          Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
                            It's really not, having more than 1-2 buffered pedals / chain is just a pointless source of problems.
                            And yet, Jimi Hendrix bravely climbed the stairs and took the stage knowing he had 3 buffers in a row
                            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                              And yet, Jimi Hendrix bravely climbed the stairs and took the stage knowing he had 3 buffers in a row
                              ...and problems he could have avoided.

Comment

Imagine how much better Jimi would have been if only he had true bypass pedals...
                                The world will never know.
                                Lol

Comment

Working...
                                X