'70s Hagstrom Swede Pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '70s Hagstrom Swede Pickups

Saw a semi-rough shape '70s Hagstrom Swede for sale, and debating on buying it as a rebuild.

Some electronics were replaced, wiring wrong, Wilkinson pickups, some neck binding missing.

I'd like to rebuild it with new parts because originally used parts would be impossible to find. Pickup have me wondering what to use, especially given the wiring. Looks like there are caps on both treble pots, plus a cap on a separate 3way switch which I've never seen before.

Any recommendations?

Wiring

Re: '70s Hagstrom Swede Pickups

I had one of those back then, with bolted neck. I believe there were like superswede with set neck too, and jumbo frets and stuff.

The extra 3 way switch is HP filter to cut some lows. If were 2 different values and none, but don't don't remember for sure.

Comment

It looks interesting, heard a few YouTube demos, but will admit, wiring schematics aren't really my thing, and may take a while to decipher.

Comment

No Hagstrom fans out there? No suggestions at all for pickups?

Comment

I'd wire it like a Les Paul and put Seth Lovers or Antiquitys in it. 500K pots. .02 Tone caps wired 50's style to the middle terminal of the volume pots.
          “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

I have a wiring diagram for it, it has a 2nd 3-way switch with caps attached. A500k pots for all 4, and 0.047uf caps. Interesting wiring with that extra switch.

Comment

Originally posted by THRobinson View Post
              I have a wiring diagram for it, it has a 2nd 3-way switch with caps attached. A500k pots for all 4, and 0.047uf caps. Interesting wiring with that extra switch.

https://medias.audiofanzine.com/imag...s3/1945040.jpg
              I'm not great with schematics. Does that second switch allow you to choose between two bright caps so you retain treble when the volume pots are turned down? Or does it do just the opposite: shunt treble to ground?

Either way, I'd be inclined to change it to a series/coil split/parallel switch. Maybe for the neck pickup only?

That would rule out Antiquitys or Seth Lovers though.

So maybe four conductor AIIPros or Pearly Gates humbuckers.
              Last edited by Lewguitar; 05-24-2020, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Same here, that diagram is a bit confusing. I found one sorta like the Seymour Duncan diagrams, showing pickups and switches and colored wire, but edited to include the switches and whoever did it, did it in the most confusing way possible. It'll take some deciphering.

3way switch though, here's what I've read... Mine has the switch but someone long ago has since botched the wiring....

"The Swede has a second 3-way toggle switch located on the bottom horn that provides filter controls for additional tone options. When the switch is up, you get an added midrange boost, kind of like a half-cocked wah. When the switch is down, you get an added boost of bass. The filters are bypassed in the middle position. These filters work on both pickups and the shifts in tone will definitely make your ordinary riffs sound outstanding. The filters are usable for clean as well as distorted settings, and the added bass was great for jazz."

Ideally I'd like to get pickups that sound similar to what would have originally been in the guitar. Lots of nice options out there, but, would like to try to get it close to original as I can, at least in the same ballpark. Else I'd probably get APH-1s...or Irongear Tesla Sharks that sound the same if not a bit better to me and 1/3 the cost.
                Last edited by THRobinson; 05-24-2020, 10:00 AM.

Comment

Same here, that diagram is a bit confusing. I found one sorta like the Seymour Duncan diagrams, showing pickups and switches and colored wire, but edited to include the switches and whoever did it, did it in the most confusing way possible. It'll take some deciphering.

3way switch though, here's what I've read... Mine has the switch but someone long ago has since botched the wiring....

"The Swede has a second 3-way toggle switch located on the bottom horn that provides filter controls for additional tone options. When the switch is up, you get an added midrange boost, kind of like a half-cocked wah. When the switch is down, you get an added boost of bass. The filters are bypassed in the middle position. These filters work on both pickups and the shifts in tone will definitely make your ordinary riffs sound outstanding. The filters are usable for clean as well as distorted settings, and the added bass was great for jazz."

Ideally I'd like to get pickups that sound similar to what would have originally been in the guitar. Lots of nice options out there, but, would like to try to get it close to original as I can, at least in the same ballpark. Else I'd probably get APH-1s...or Irongear Tesla Sharks that sound the same if not a bit better to me and 1/3 the cost.
                  You can get those tones by turning your tone pot down almost to zero or to zero. What Clapton called his "woman tone".

I'd get a 4 conductor neck humbucker and use it for a series/parallel/single coil switch for the neck pickup.

Comment

Well, again, I'm trying to restore best I can to at least close to original... Fix the wiring and find some similarly sounding pickups. Kinda hoped someone on here may have had one at one time and knew of some pickups that would get me close.

Ideally, since originals are outta the question... I'd like to get the Hagstrom Number 2 pickups from around 2012...i think it was those that they had designed specifically to sound like the Swede from the '70s.

Sadly, people who buy Hagstrom seem to keep them stock, unlike Gibson guitars where people pull out everything and replace.

Comment

Well, again, I'm trying to restore best I can to at least close to original... Fix the wiring and find some similarly sounding pickups. Kinda hoped someone on here may have had one at one time and knew of some pickups that would get me close.

Ideally, since originals are outta the question... I'd like to get the Hagstrom Number 2 pickups from around 2012...i think it was those that they had designed specifically to sound like the Swede from the '70s.

Sadly, people who buy Hagstrom seem to keep them stock, unlike Gibson guitars where people pull out everything and replace.
                      Suit yourself of course. But there's a reason those guitars never really caught on.

Comment

Working...
                      X