HSS phase issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HSS phase issue

I wired this up with a Duncan custom 5 trembucker and two strat-copy single coils.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200508-193841_Imgur.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	5853997

I figured since the middle pickup is RWRP they would be like a modern Fender strat pickup set like the diagram intends. But positions 2 and 3 definitely sound out of phase. How do I correct this? Can I choose to either reverse the polarity of the humbucker or do both of the single coils? So far I have hum-cancelling in positions 1, 2 and 4 and I'd prefer to keep the humbucker splitting to the slug coil in positions 2 and 3.

Re: HSS phase issue

If both in between positions are out of phase, just switch the ground and hot wire on your middle pickup. The wire you currently have going to ground will go to the switch and vice versa...

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. B View Post
      If both in between positions are out of phase, just switch the ground and hot wire on your middle pickup. The wire you currently have going to ground will go to the switch and vice versa...
      Won't that mess up position 4?

Comment

Originally posted by rainsong86 View Post
        Won't that mess up position 4?
        If your positions 2 and 3 are out of phase, but 4 is not, then switching the wires on the middle SC will put position 4 out of phase. The solution would be to swap the leads on both SCs.

Comment

Switching the middle and the neck should make 4 hum-cancelling. On my HSS (all Duncans), my neck was rw/rp.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Arkitkt View Post
            If your positions 2 and 3 are out of phase, but 4 is not, then switching the wires on the middle SC will put position 4 out of phase. The solution would be to swap the leads on both SCs.
            Thank you that seems to be the answer. But would I also be able to switch the leads of the humbucker? Only asking because that might be a lot less work on my superswitch

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
              Switching the middle and the neck should make 4 hum-cancelling. On my HSS (all Duncans), my neck was rw/rp.
              My middle pickup is the rw/rp. So I think that means the best I can do for hum cancelling is
              1. Bridge hb YES
              2. Bridge (split) and middle YES
              3. Bridge (split) and neck NO
              4. middle and neck YES
              5. Neck NO

Comment

Originally posted by rainsong86 View Post
                My middle pickup is the rw/rp. So I think that means the best I can do for hum cancelling is
                1. Bridge hb YES
                2. Bridge (split) and middle YES
                3. Bridge (split) and neck NO
                4. middle and neck YES
                5. Neck NO
                You could make 3 hum-cancelling by using the other coil of the HB, though. Can be done with the superswitch, I think.

Comment

Working...
                X