Recommend a bright, low-noise 12AX7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend a bright, low-noise 12AX7

Thread title kind of says it all. My amp used to be a Jet City JCA50H until I modded the crunch channel to JCM800 specs. Now the overdrive channel is fairly noisy and dark. I have a Tung-Sol in V2 now, and I’ve found those bright in the past, but the noise is too much. Suggestions?

Re: Recommend a bright, low-noise 12AX7

Ehx 12ax7 really float my boat. Smooth but not overly bright. Very quiet in my high gain amps. Matched quads

Also, I like the Mullard, but it can be hissy in certain amps, and perfect in others.

I know other guys know alot more about tubes than I do.

I like to use this as a reference:
    Last edited by 80's_Metal; 05-18-2020, 11:42 PM.
    Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
      Thread title kind of says it all. My amp used to be a Jet City JCA50H until I modded the crunch channel to JCM800 specs. Now the overdrive channel is fairly noisy and dark. I have a Tung-Sol in V2 now, and I’ve found those bright in the past, but the noise is too much. Suggestions?
      In new production tubes for a high gain amp right now my favorite 12AX7 is the new Mullard short plate CV 4004's. Very quiet with a clear balanced tone and a lot of gain. I'm running them in both my PRS MT 15 and my Boogie DC 5 heads. Going from the stock JJ's to them in the little MT 15 in particular was like taking a blanket off the amp and also dramatically dropped the noise floor. Bought 4 at first to try liked them so well bought 5 more.
      Guitars
      Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
      Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Electro Harmonix have been good for me, bright and low noise, and good in v1 of combo amps. but I've wanted to try those cv4004s

Comment

Try putting a 12AT7 in your PI slot. The AT7 brightens amps up quite a bit, and doesn't seem to drop gain at all. The tube store carries JAN 12at7 for about 20$ each.
          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
            Try putting a 12AT7 in your PI slot. The AT7 brightens amps up quite a bit, and doesn't seem to drop gain at all. The tube store carries JAN 12at7 for about 20$ each.
            The crunch channel is perfect, and I don't want to mess with it. I just ordered a pair of EHXes. I've already got a Mullard CV4004 in V1, and I'm a big fan of these too, but I think they're a bit warmer than I need for the overdrive channel.

Comment

Not to hijack the thread-

But what pair of 12ax/'s would be good, for my Blackstar Ht-20mkII- when the stock ones wear out?

-Erl
              If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Erlend_G View Post
                Not to hijack the thread-

But what pair of 12ax/'s would be good, for my Blackstar Ht-20mkII- when the stock ones wear out?

-Erl
                Let me say this before I recommend anything. Beware of going down this road, because it's expensive and sometimes hard to tell a huge difference. But it's a lot of fun. And preamp tubes can go for years without ever wearing out. But every time I've replaced stock tubes, I've been happier than before.

I had an HT-5, and I liked the Tung-Sol a lot in it. For more low-mid emphasis, I like Ruby 12AX7AC5 HG+ or Mullard Reissues. The only tubes I did not like in the Blackstar were the short-plate JJs, which I found way too dark.

Comment

Mullard or Genalex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I find the mullards to be similar to tung-sols but with less noise.
                    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by BenPerkins View Post
                      Mullard or Genalex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                      I’m dying to try a Genelex, I just wont pay the high price.....yes, I’m frugal (cheap...lol)

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
                        The crunch channel is perfect, and I don't want to mess with it. I just ordered a pair of EHXes. I've already got a Mullard CV4004 in V1, and I'm a big fan of these too, but I think they're a bit warmer than I need for the overdrive channel.
                        Try swapping V1 and V2. I’m betting that will brighten it up nicely.

Comment

Bright and detailed (almost "clinically" detailed) current-production:

Sovtek 12AX7LPS - the only Sovtek worth a toss

Comment

Sovteks are bright and not noisy. Typically harsh in most amps I've tried, but might solve the issue described here. He's already trying EHX, but Sovtek is a solid suggestion for this particular problem.

Comment

EHX, Tung-Sol, Sovtek...
                              All bright tubes to my ears.

Comment

Working...
                              X