Laney Ironheart IRT60H appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laney Ironheart IRT60H appreciation

I've had my Laney Ironheart IRT60H for a year or two now and I've used it in a bunch of comparison videos but until now I had never done a proper in-depth demo. Before I post the demo, first some talk about this amp.

It's a sturdy head with some cool handles on top. This is a very nice way of doing this imho as I'm never afraid to drop the amp when I carry it. I dig the red light as well and that circular transformer looks interesting. The amp has some cool 'special' features such as a variable wattage control (tbh, it does kind of seem to work like a master volume but I'm not sure), DI outputs on the rear and the 'dynamics' control. I'm also a fan of the push-pull eq's! I love how this allows you to really shape the response of the amp. Pulling the bass out really seems to extend the low-end, making it huge. With the mid control the sound gets a bit less dense in the low-mids and pulling the treble control really makes the amp come forward in the mids/upper-mids.

The on-board pre-boost is a great way to get more gain from the amp and I also like what it does to the overall sound. It kind of makes the distortion a tad more 'smooth' to my ears. Not as aggressive as a tube screamer for example but useful indeed! The clean tones are nice and that channel can be pushed to a good crunch with the boost. The rhythm and lead channels are similar but the lead channel sounds a tad 'thicker' or more dense.

The reverb is surprisingly nice as well and it sounds quite natural. I guess my favorite thing that the amp can do is a huge modern rhythm sound. It has a nice saturation that fills the spectrum up while leaving some room for other instruments. Does anyone else have one? What do you like to use it for mainly? I also have the IRT Studio and that's a great amp as well. Sounds pretty close to the 60W head tbh.

Here's the demo in various styles:

Owner and founder of Sonic Drive Studio & social media manager for OwnHammer.

Facebook.com/sonicdrivestudio
    OwnHammer.com

Re: Laney Ironheart IRT60H appreciation

I have Studio head and my favorite amp - best thought out amp I ever had/saw.
    I saw a review if it were Andertons once, and they talked "high gain" this and "high gain" that - like that is what it is.
    I think these work well for blues and rock as well. Clean is clean and nice. And the boost feature works on any of 3 channels, and amount you can set.

I have not used the reamping features at all, nor the speaker emulation though.

First thing I checked on Marshall Origin was if boost was adjustable, but no. Fixed at about 10 dB. So I use fx loop which has button on floorboard to get an internediate gain boost.

Comment

I keep seeing stuff about the Ironheart series and wondering if it might be on my wishlist in future...

Thanks Jon for the great demo! Really showcases a variety of tones the amp is capable of.

I have GAS pains now.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk
      • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
      • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
      • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
      • G&L Tribute Comanche
      • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
      • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
      • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

The thing has been on my wishlist for a while. That's whoooole lotta amp for the money.

Comment

Working...
        X