OK - so I want this....[Marshall Content]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK - so I want this....[Marshall Content]

First, I'd like a 2555 Head in 100 wats of silver Marshall awesome!

And that means I need this in 2x12:

Of course, I COULD use that anyway, head or not, to stack on my current 2x12, to get 4x12 goodness.

And - yet an option for all that is also this instead of big expensive head:

But I then have to ask "How does the 2525 sound?" I KNOW the 100 watt sounds awesome.

And of course, I'm a cheap mofo...so what is a good price for any of those these days. So - cheap used big head? Cab anyway to stack w/ my Mesa? Just get a used Mini - because all the tone, and less volume for at home - but could play out?
    Last edited by Aceman; 05-20-2020, 01:44 PM.
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Re: OK - so I want this....[Marshall Content]

The mini in high power is loud enough to play with a drummer, especially with the Vintage speakers. It sounds good too. Not exactly the same as the 2555 but darn close. And it only weighs 22 lbs.

Comment

you made a gear resolution earlier this year

hows that going?

my cheapness would get that Harley Benton 1x12 with the Vintage 30 in it
      less than $150 to the house
      EHD
      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I have not got any guitars!!!!

I did take out two project guitars in the rack that need projected
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

What will it do that your Stilleto won't?

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

I want a Godin LGXT

EHD
            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by Lake Placid Blues View Post
              The mini in high power is loud enough to play with a drummer, especially with the Vintage speakers. It sounds good too. Not exactly the same as the 2555 but darn close. And it only weighs 22 lbs.
              Like LPB I also have an original Jubilee and a Mini; my original is a black '88 2555 while I'm pretty sure LPB's is a silver 2550...

With the right tubes the 2525H can get shockingly close to the tone of the 2555. It isn't as deep or as loud, but you can hardly tell the difference unless you're literally swapping cables between them. The other thing I noticed a few days ago is that the 2525 sounds a lot better than it's larger brother at house-friendly volumes. The only downside is that the 2525 is FAR more picky about tubes (especially power tubes) than the 2555. The original tubes in my 2525 were Marshall-branded Shuguangs in V1 & V2, a JJ in V3 and Tung-Sol EL-34Bs. The clean tone was really glassy and Fender-y, but the overdriven tone was harsh to the point of almost being painful. These days I'm running essentially the same tubes in both amps; a Tung-Sol in V1, Shuguang in V2, a Sovtek LPS in V3, and JJ EL-34s.
              Last edited by dystrust; 05-20-2020, 07:30 PM.
              Originally posted by crusty philtrum
              And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

I want you to have that... the quarter stack looks awesome.

I assume it’s partially decended from the JCM800 line in the sense that it’s going to be LOUD. I never use my 800, it just needs to be too loud to sound good. The mini may be a sweet little option. They don’t do a vertical 2x12 in silver, do they?
                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                  I want you to have that... the quarter stack looks awesome.

I assume it’s partially decended from the JCM800 line in the sense that it’s going to be LOUD. I never use my 800, it just needs to be too loud to sound good. The mini may be a sweet little option.
                  The 2555 has a JCM800 power section, but everything else is pretty unique in the Marshall lineage. The preamp sort of acts like the cascaded preamp on a Boogie Mark series, while I've been told that the tonestack is reminiscent of a Hiwatt. I like to run both of mine with the input gain on 7; the rhythm mode is very JTM / Bassman like and stays decently clean if you don't pick too hard. The lead mode is its own thing; definitely a Marshall, but fatter and less bright than a 2203/2204. In terms of volume, the 2525H is very manageable, even on 20W. The 2555 OTOH is louder than the voice of god at 100W, while it sounds like muddy crap @ 50W.

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                  They don’t do a vertical 2x12 in silver, do they?
                  Edit: They're a Sweetwater exclusive.
                  Last edited by dystrust; 05-20-2020, 08:21 PM. Reason: Added link to cabinet
                  And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
                    The 2555 has a JCM800 power section, but everything else is pretty unique in the Marshall lineage. The preamp sort of acts like the cascaded preamp on a Boogie Mark series, while I've been told that the tonestack is reminiscent of a Hiwatt. I like to run both of mine with the input gain on 7; the rhythm mode is very JTM / Bassman like and stays decently clean if you don't pick too hard. The lead mode is its own thing; definitely a Marshall, but fatter and less bright than a 2203/2204. In terms of volume, the 2525H is very manageable, even on 20W. The 2555 OTOH is louder than the voice of god at 100W, while it sounds like muddy crap @ 50W.

Edit: They're a Sweetwater exclusive.
                    For the power and volume, that’s what I expected. Fun when you have the chance but at home it’s the grocery getting dragster. Same for the 2525, seems like the sweet spot for home/band.

Ooh, that’s pricey but would look awesome with the mini!
                    Last edited by PFDarkside; 05-20-2020, 08:37 PM.
                    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Spidervalve.
                      Every Marshall made. Ok maybe some artifacts. If your ears are good enough to hear them.
                      The audience...

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                        I'm a cheap mofo...so what is a good price for any of those these days. So - cheap used big head? Cab anyway to stack w/ my Mesa? Just get a used Mini - because all the tone, and less volume for at home - but could play out?
                        I paid $850 for my 2525H, but that's a pretty amazing deal. I see them come up for sale in the $900-1000 range pretty frequently.

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
                        my cheapness would get that Harley Benton 1x12 with the Vintage 30 in it
                        less than $150 to the house
                        I run my 2525H through an Egnater Rebel 112X loaded with an Eminence Wizard. I have them on an amp stand, and it sounds remarkably similar to my '78 Marshall 4x12 with the Blackback G12H30s.

Comment

Choose your own speakers, grill, piping, and jack-plate/wiring.
                          You and your mesa can will be very happy!

Comment

100 watt Jube is a nice amp but 4 to 6 on the Master is the sweet spot.

They need room to run to get the goods.

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
                              I've played a few of those, they're very nice.
                              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Working...
                              X