Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Narrowing Down Pickups - Drop C Project Guitar

Originally posted by RexRemus View Post
    Looks great, the headstock could put your eye out - perfect. Those look like some pretty chonky strings! 12s? 13s?
    12s. I had 11s on it before I put the new pickup in and they just flapped around. The low-C sounded like I was playing slap bass, and that is not amenable to nice tight triplets. The 12s play much nicer.

Comment

Yeah was running 12s on my C# though I switched to a light top/heavy bottom set of 11s recently and I'm liking that so far. Bit of spitting the difference, but it's not flappy on the bottom end and doesn't tear your fingers off if you need to bend. Really great refurb you did!
      Last edited by RexRemus; 06-01-2020, 02:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        That looks cool. Be proud of it!
        Thanks, and I am quite proud.

That said, it looks less impressive up close! Although not obvious from afar, the Sunn Mustang (despite being a licence Strat copy) does not have a single piece of Strat-spec hardware on it.

The pickguard had to be significantly amended to fit properly. It stuck out over the lower horn, and did not fit around the bridge, at all. It fits(ish) now, but up close you can see the rough edges. If you can believe it, even the back cover over the trem is not standard sized. Had to make new holes so that string slots lined up.

Also, the new bridge just... It mostly fits, but it's slightly wider than the old one, so the screw holes don't match. It only has two screws in, one in an original hole, the other in the opposite end where it could go into a fresh hole. It doesn't seem to matter, as I've blocked the trem anyway, but not ideal.

And yet... Getting a tolerable finish has been just... The worst. Beyond the worst. Hand-filing the tuning machine holes to fit the new tuners was a garden of delights by comparison.
        Last edited by LostTheTone; 06-01-2020, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Yeah was running 12s on my C# though I switched to a light top/heavy bottom set of 11s recently and I'm liking that so far. Bit of spitting the difference, but it's not flappy on the bottom end and doesn't tear your fingers off if you need to bend. Really great refurb you did!
          Yeah, its funny just how much difference it makes to get strings that feel good. Especially on this neck which is... It has some problems - The truss rod is weird and doesn't do much, and there was some high spots on frets too. It was a mess and having strings that were even just a bit too loose made it just feel miserable to play. It actually sounded alright, weirdly, but you could feel the buzz and the action was too high and just awful. In other news; cutting and fitting your own nut is an exciting adventure which I do not recommend. Anyway, getting strings that felt right helped a lot. At least I can adjust other stuff around them!

Oh and cheers dude: D All of the suffering has kept me sane over the past months of being stuck at home!

Comment

Those look like some pretty chonky strings! 12s? 13s?
            I was about to say the same thing. They almost look like 6-string bass strings. Anyway, nice project. Sweet axe. Enjoy.

Comment

Working...
            X