Narrowing Down Pickups - Drop C Project Guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Narrowing Down Pickups - Drop C Project Guitar

Alas I still can't show you the finished thing - I still have a good deal of wet sanding to do to get the finish smooth, but I can at least show you where I am right now:

The new pickup has arrived too, and after a serious struggle I managed to persuade solder to stick to the pot so that also has been fitted. I am kinda frustrated that I can see how she actually plays, but c'est la vie. I will get there!

Comment

Wow, I love the flat black. Very cool stealthy machine.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by LostTheTone View Post
        Alas I still can't show you the finished thing - I still have a good deal of wet sanding to do to get the finish smooth, but I can at least show you where I am right now:

The new pickup has arrived too, and after a serious struggle I managed to persuade solder to stick to the pot so that also has been fitted. I am kinda frustrated that I can see how she actually plays, but c'est la vie. I will get there!
        For future reference, try scuffing up the back of the pot if the solder isn't sticking to it.

The guitar is looking good!

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

Comment

Consider the Lace Deathbucker. Clear like an active. And it stays clear all the way down.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bigcupholder View Post
            For future reference, try scuffing up the back of the pot if the solder isn't sticking to it.

The guitar is looking good!
            Man I loathe soldering pots - I have done a bit better with this one than previous soldering (I bought a fresh pot, thank God) but it still took forever to convince ground wires to stick to the case. How do we still live in an age where everything is just "nah it's fine solder the bare wire to this flat hunk of metal, no big deal".

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
              Consider the Lace Deathbucker. Clear like an active. And it stays clear all the way down.
              I have heard that Lace pickups are like perfectly flat EQ - So not distinctive at all, and designed so that you can tweak them the maximum amount in your pedals and such?

I was slightly surprised to find that something called the DeathBucker has that kind of rep for mucho versatility.

Comment

Man I loathe soldering pots - I have done a bit better with this one than previous soldering (I bought a fresh pot, thank God) but it still took forever to convince ground wires to stick to the case. How do we still live in an age where everything is just "nah it's fine solder the bare wire to this flat hunk of metal, no big deal".
                Yeah, it sucks that pickup companies haven't adopted a universal quick-connect setup. I'd bet SD is big enough to force that change if their OEM partners would allow it (i.e. if guitars with SD stock would all switch). Probably too much upfront cost to warrant the risk it doesn't catch on.

A good soldering iron definitely helps though. The hotter it is, the less likely you are to burn out the pot actually, because you can solder so much faster.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah, it sucks that pickup companies haven't adopted a universal quick-connect setup. I'd bet SD is big enough to force that change if their OEM partners would allow it (i.e. if guitars with SD stock would all switch). Probably too much upfront cost to warrant the risk it doesn't catch on.

A good soldering iron definitely helps though. The hotter it is, the less likely you are to burn out the pot actually, because you can solder so much faster.
                  When I was still considering an EMG81 a legitimate part of my thinking was "I won't have to solder the damn thing together".

Honestly, I would just be happy if some enterprising component maker sold pots that had a larger ring terminal attached to the case - that way you can have something to hold the wires in place.

That's probably why no pickup companies have tried to force the issue. It's a problem with pots, not with pickups.

Comment

This.

I found myself cranking things up specifically for the pot grounding work because it was taking so long to heat that EVERYTHING on the pot was getting hot. Bumping the heat up allowed one spot to heat up enough to get solder to stick without heating up the rest too much at all.

If you're already at max it is what it is, but a good variable iron that gets really hot can definitely make this easier/faster.

Comment

So, after some resoldering that feels like it cost me 15 years of my life, I have gotten this damn guitar to actually work. First it just flat out did not work. Then I re-soldered it, and it worked, but it hummed like crazy. Finally, after acquiring some new burns, exchanging every piece of wire for a new bit, whelp... She makes guitar noises.

And well, some damn good noises.

The Distortion is definitely noice and toight at the bottom end, and it chugs like an absolute beauty. I just plugged it into my existing settings, and the difference it pretty clear. The old settings feel over-gained, and too bass heavy. Just the new pickup has sustain for absolutely days, and even when the bass is blowing my ears off it's still tight and well defined. The only criticism is that it's a little noisy compared to the stock (potentially shonky wiring?). I had turn the noise gate up just a twinge, but that's the worst of it.

I will post some glamour shots tomorrow since this project has finally (thankfully) concluded. I regret everything. But at least this guitar will sound good eh?
                      Last edited by LostTheTone; 05-31-2020, 02:49 PM.

Comment

I'm in the middle of a guitar rebuilding project, turning a mostly forgotten and very distressed strat copy into something that I might actually want to play. There is a whole woodworking and refinishing thing also going on which I won't get into (long story short; finishing guitars by hand is hard) but of course there is the much more exciting bit with the electronics.

This guitar is routed for HSS, but I have replaced the pickguard and will be fitting her out as just a single humbucker. The question is which humbucker, and that is what brings me to you.

This guitar is definitely not going to versatile; it's going to be my Drop C guitar for playing metally metal and nothing else. I almost feel spoilt for choice when it comes to that kind of pickup these days, but also a bit out of my depth. It's hard to make a confident choice when it seems everything would be pretty good. If I'm going to drop £100+ then I want something that fits well, ******.

I am looking for chuggy rhythm with clear definition at the bottom end. I am not a lead player, but I play some fills and easy/short solos, so the top end needs to be reasonable but isn't my biggest concern. I'm much more of a modern metal kind of guy - Bands like Chimaira and Machine Head, rather than your black metal.

I don't know what wood the body is by the way; when I got the finish off I found a very pale, very hard wood and a lot of black epoxy/grain filler. Make of that what you will.

Black Winter or Nazgul both seem appropriate, but I am a bit uncertain because I can't really tell the difference from how they are described and/or reviewed. They both seem to be “good”. And then Bare Knuckle Pickups make about 7 different pickups that they swear are great for downtuning (Aftermath, Ragnarok, Painkiller, etc) but which I again cannot begin to tell apart, and which also cost a premium.

Many swear by actives – A Blackout Metal would seem an obvious choice, but so would an EMG81. I am not opposed to active at all, and in fact I'm tempted because I like the extra clarity, but choosing one or another is still a problem. Oh and then there are these Fluence things I have heard about, which are apparently good but versatility isn't my goal here.

I have too many choices – Someone for the love of god help me narrow this down.
                        I have a Drop C guitar and the EMG-81 in the bridge does exactly what you are looking for, you'll miss having an EMG-85 in the neck though. When you record even with just an iphone, the clarity is unbelieveable. EMG-81 isnt for everything but it rules in Drop C

Comment

So, after some resoldering that feels like it cost me 15 years of my life, I have gotten this damn guitar to actually work. First it just flat out did not work. Then I re-soldered it, and it worked, but it hummed like crazy. Finally, after acquiring some new burns, exchanging every piece of wire for a new bit, whelp... She makes guitar noises.

And well, some damn good noises.

The Distortion is definitely noice and toight at the bottom end, and it chugs like an absolute beauty. I just plugged it into my existing settings, and the difference it pretty clear. The old settings feel over-gained, and too bass heavy. Just the new pickup has sustain for absolutely days, and even when the bass is blowing my ears off it's still tight and well defined. The only criticism is that it's a little noisy compared to the stock (potentially shonky wiring?). I had turn the noise gate up just a twinge, but that's the worst of it.

I will post some glamour shots tomorrow since this project has finally (thankfully) concluded. I regret everything. But at least this guitar will sound good eh?
                          Glad you're happy with the choice. Looking forward to seeing it

Comment

Ok, finally the big reveal:

The finish is... Well, it's better than it was and I'm not doing it again. From a distance it's alright. Enough said. The finish has been by far the most painful part of this project, and I am never ever ever doing it again. The headstock came out well though eh? I chopped it down to make it pointy and it looks very metal.

The sound is great though. I have spent a lot of time twiddling knobs, both in my venerable Line6 Spider Mk3 and in the old amp sim, and both are starting to sound pretty damn good.

Comment

That looks cool. Be proud of it!
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Looks great, the headstock could put your eye out - perfect. Those look like some pretty chonky strings! 12s? 13s?

Comment

Working...
                                X