Thread: Master Partial Phase, Master Series/Parallel (correct?)

Default Master Partial Phase, Master Series/Parallel (correct?)

Hi everyone,
    I’m building my first kit guitar and want to try this setup: 2 humbuckers with a switch for master partial phase (4pdt) and a switch to put both pups in series with each other. The partial phase part I got from Entwistle for a single pup so I just doubled it on a 4pdt. The caps on that switch are .002 uF. The master series parallel I came up with but it’s simple, probably done before. I know the pup selector will be useless in series mode (won’t work in 1 of 3 positions) but both pups in is usually middle position anyway.

Sorry it’s messy, it’s my first time doing any of this.

Oh and IDK which pup needs to be bridge or neck
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Joe Garfield; 05-21-2020 at 03:50 AM.

Default Re: Master Partial Phase, Master Series/Parallel (correct?)

Really? No one?

If unfamiliar with the “Master Partial Split” what if we assume Bridge Black goes to Series/Parallel (bottom center as shown) and Neck Ground goes to Series/Parallel (upper middle as shown). Does everything downstream look OK?

Your diagram does exactly what you described. Another option for the series/parallel switch is below and overrides the pickup selector switch regardless of position. "Neck black" and bridge black" are the outputs from the partial phase switch, not the black wires directly from the pickups. The partial phase switch would be wired as you have diagrammed... hope that was clear. The balance of your circuit is fine.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	series parallel.png 
Views:	11 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	105150
    Last edited by MikeS; 06-01-2020 at 08:43 AM.
    Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom 5/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Crazy 8/Cool Rails, Custom 5/Phat Cat, SP90-1/SP90-2, SHPR-1b/SHPR-1n, SMB-5D

Slutbucker Pimpologist ArtieToo's Avatar

I haven't studied this "deep" yet, but at a glance, your polarity switch seems to be switching both pups at once. That will do nothing. You need to switch only one pup, relative to the other. Let me look this over closer.

The split phase in this case is an alternate method of coil splitting, not actual 2-PU OOP.

The diagram looks like it would work for that purpose. But I kinda think it would be much easier to wire partial coil split with a simple resistor on a simpler switch, maybe even using a small trim pot so you can tune it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Demanic
    Incompetence is widespread in a world that rewards mediocrity while punishing excellence.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarFanatic
    I am currently using Skullcandy headphones I found in the garbage.
    I did find the DS-1 in the garbage.
    I once found a guitar amp in the garbage, a Peavey Studio 110. It caught fire at the first gig I played it at.. But it was at the end of it, thank god.

Slutbucker Pimpologist ArtieToo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by beaubrummels View Post
    2-PU OOP.
    I think that's my favorite dish at our local Chinee Takee Outee.

Name:	Chinee.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	8.8 KB 
ID:	105154

Now, back to our regularly scheduled program.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
    Your diagram does exactly what you described. Another option for the series/parallel switch is below and overrides the pickup selector switch regardless of position. "Neck black" and bridge black" are the outputs from the partial phase switch, not the black wires directly from the pickups. The partial phase switch would be wired as you have diagrammed... hope that was clear. The balance of your circuit is fine.

Name:	series parallel.png 
Views:	11 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	105150
    Thanks Mike! I like it. I haven’t progressed to thinking about parallel switches yet :/

I lived in Cinti for 7 years, met my closest friends there, and miss it a lot.

Do I need to ground the mini switches? This is a semi-hollow body with shielded wire but no cavity shielding. I mean, I haven’t seen anything that says I should, but on the other hand everything else that’s connected to a wire or string is grounded, so...
    Last edited by Joe Garfield; 06-02-2020 at 02:45 PM.