banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Master Partial Phase, Master Series/Parallel (correct?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Master Partial Phase, Master Series/Parallel (correct?)

Hi everyone,
    I’m building my first kit guitar and want to try this setup: 2 humbuckers with a switch for master partial phase (4pdt) and a switch to put both pups in series with each other. The partial phase part I got from Entwistle for a single pup so I just doubled it on a 4pdt. The caps on that switch are .002 uF. The master series parallel I came up with but it’s simple, probably done before. I know the pup selector will be useless in series mode (won’t work in 1 of 3 positions) but both pups in is usually middle position anyway.

Sorry it’s messy, it’s my first time doing any of this.

Oh and IDK which pup needs to be bridge or neck
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Joe Garfield; 05-21-2020, 04:50 AM.

Re: Master Partial Phase, Master Series/Parallel (correct?)

Really? No one?

If unfamiliar with the “Master Partial Split” what if we assume Bridge Black goes to Series/Parallel (bottom center as shown) and Neck Ground goes to Series/Parallel (upper middle as shown). Does everything downstream look OK?

Comment

Your diagram does exactly what you described. Another option for the series/parallel switch is below and overrides the pickup selector switch regardless of position. "Neck black" and bridge black" are the outputs from the partial phase switch, not the black wires directly from the pickups. The partial phase switch would be wired as you have diagrammed... hope that was clear. The balance of your circuit is fine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	series parallel.png
Views:	1
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	5820721
      Last edited by MikeS; 06-01-2020, 09:43 AM.
      Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Crazy 8/Cool Rails, Screamin' Demon/Stra-Bro 90, Custom 5/Phat Cat, SP90-1/SP90-2, SMB-5D

Comment

I haven't studied this "deep" yet, but at a glance, your polarity switch seems to be switching both pups at once. That will do nothing. You need to switch only one pup, relative to the other. Let me look this over closer.

Comment

The split phase in this case is an alternate method of coil splitting, not actual 2-PU OOP.

The diagram looks like it would work for that purpose. But I kinda think it would be much easier to wire partial coil split with a simple resistor on a simpler switch, maybe even using a small trim pot so you can tune it.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
            2-PU OOP.
            I think that's my favorite dish at our local Chinee Takee Outee.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Chinee.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	8.8 KB
ID:	5820724

Now, back to our regularly scheduled program.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeS View Post
              Your diagram does exactly what you described. Another option for the series/parallel switch is below and overrides the pickup selector switch regardless of position. "Neck black" and bridge black" are the outputs from the partial phase switch, not the black wires directly from the pickups. The partial phase switch would be wired as you have diagrammed... hope that was clear. The balance of your circuit is fine.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]105150[/ATTACH]
              Thanks Mike! I like it. I haven’t progressed to thinking about parallel switches yet :/

I lived in Cinti for 7 years, met my closest friends there, and miss it a lot.

Comment

Do I need to ground the mini switches? This is a semi-hollow body with shielded wire but no cavity shielding. I mean, I haven’t seen anything that says I should, but on the other hand everything else that’s connected to a wire or string is grounded, so...
                Last edited by Joe Garfield; 06-02-2020, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X