Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Which one to choose and why?

Originally posted by Satanhead View Post
    I looked at that one, but I'm not quite sure how the tremolo would hold tuning stability during extreme dive bombing, since the guitar has no locking nut.
    Graph tech nut and locking tuners. You don’t need a locking nut with that. Just set it up and play.

That one looks like an awesome model. Comes stock with a Screamin’ Demon and A2P with a series/parallel switch (never seem that stock before), EVH pots and no load tone control. It’s giving me GAS.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
      Graph tech nut and locking tuners. You don’t need a locking nut with that. Just set it up and play.

That one looks like an awesome model. Comes stock with a Screamin’ Demon and A2P with a series/parallel switch (never seem that stock before), EVH pots and no load tone control. It’s giving me GAS.
      Unfinished roasted maple necks are sex.
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by The JEM Ghost View Post
        ...a decent Ibanez S would get you a long way too, but you'll need the later versions, they used to be 22 frets up to a certain year.
        If Ibanez would have offered this thing with floating tremolo this post would not exist, since I would have bought it as soon as it was released, I guess.https://www.ibanez.com/na/products/d...1al_1p_01.html

Originally posted by The JEM Ghost View Post
        ...Jackson Dinky (or Charvel) or Soloist is another option. Depends if you like set-neck or bolt on in the Jackson case.
        No preference really, as long as the cosntruction is solid. I've seen great examples of both methods of construction.

I've read great comments about those. Could be an option, but for some reason it looks too good to be true... I meand at this price point.

Comment

Mmm ok that changes things a little bit. That guitar is very sleek, indeed.

Comment

Which one to choose and why?

Idk...although graphtech nuts are excellent (I have them in 2 guitars) I can’t imagine Floyd rose usage AND it staying in tune. The guitars I have them in are not trem equips and I still need to tune them very regularly.

Unless of course the bridge in that pic is a hard tail...I can’t see it very well on my phone. If it is hardtail then the GTech is a big step up.
            Last edited by Gtrjunior; 05-26-2020, 08:41 AM.

Comment

A shredtastic Guitar that travels well? Boom!

Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                Idk...although graphtech nuts are excellent (I have them in 2 guitars) I can’t imagine Floyd rose usage AND it staying in tune. The guitars I have them in are not trem equips and I still need to tune them very regularly.

Unless of course the bridge in that pic is a hard tail...I can’t see it very well on my phone. If it is hardtail then the GTech is a big step up.
                It’s the locking tuners and how you thread/wrap them that do most of the work.

Comment

It’s the locking tuners and how you thread/wrap them that do most of the work.
                  How do you do it?
                  With locking tuners I’ve always just pulled the string through and clamped. I thought that was the big benefit to locking vs standard tuners....no?

Comment

How do you do it?
                    With locking tuners I’ve always just pulled the string through and clamped. I thought that was the big benefit to locking vs standard tuners....no?
                    Yes, no wraps around the post. I even have them on a Brian May guitar, which has a basic Strat bridge, and I’ve done VH dive bombs and pulled it sharp (the bridge floats a bit) and it returned to zero perfectly across all strings. The strings do make a difference also. For example, coated and steel strings stay in tune better than nickel strings IME

Comment

Yes, no wraps around the post. I even have them on a Brian May guitar, which has a basic Strat bridge, and I’ve done VH dive bombs and pulled it sharp (the bridge floats a bit) and it returned to zero perfectly across all strings. The strings do make a difference also. For example, coated and steel strings stay in tune better than nickel strings IME
                      Do you find you need to widen the nut slots a bit to allow for string travel (so they don’t bind in the nut)?

Comment

For me that'd be a toss up between the Ibanez and the Jackson, and the main difference I would say between them is the Jackson's 12-16" Compound radius vs. the Ibanez straight 17" radius. I think the compound radius works a little better for me in general, plus I'm infatuated with japanese jackson build quality, so I'm gonna vote for the Jackson

Comment

Do you find you need to widen the nut slots a bit to allow for string travel (so they don’t bind in the nut)?
                          I haven’t had to mess with nuts except on Gibsons and Fenders, which don’t have locking tuners or Floyd vibratos. YMMV

Comment

I finally bought the guitar; here it is. ESP Horizon FR-27:

Click image for larger version

Name:	NGD ESP 1.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	6008064

Comment

Working...
                            X