Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which one to choose and why?

Default Re: Which one to choose and why?

Quote Originally Posted by Satanhead View Post
    I've looked at those and to me they're incomplete: if they have floating tremolo and decent colors, they have only 22 frets; if they have floating tremolo AND 24 frets, they have funny ugly colors; if black AND 24 frets, no floating tremolo...
    I think you are looking for a dinky pro mod in gloss black:

PRO-MOD DK24 HH 2PT CM

https://www.charvel.com/gear/shape/d...-cm/2969411503
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Well, there are no good Steinbergers currently being produced, not the paddle ones or the ones with a Strat-type body. The ones now are really cheap versions. Kiesel makes the Vader, though, which looks pretty evil.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Mincer View Post
    Well, there are no good Steinbergers currently being produced, not the paddle ones or the ones with a Strat-type body. The ones now are really cheap versions. Kiesel makes the Vader, though, which looks pretty evil.
    I'd take a Strandberg over a Kiesel if going that route:

This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarStv View Post
    I'd take a Strandberg over a Kiesel if going that route:
    Me too, but I don't like the 24 frets of either.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarStv View Post
    I think you are looking for a dinky pro mod in gloss black:

PRO-MOD DK24 HH 2PT CM

https://www.charvel.com/gear/shape/d...-cm/2969411503
    I looked at that one, but I'm not quite sure how the tremolo would hold tuning stability during extreme dive bombing, since the guitar has no locking nut.

That's why I've been considering Ibanez Prestige so seriously; this particular model looks like the ideal one:

Attachment 104977
    Gorgeous ...thatís a nice fiddle right there

I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!

Dave - we got a Steinberger with a body on CL right now...

Ultimate Tone Slacker DavidRavenMoon's Avatar

Iíd have to see how they all feel and play.

Which neck do you like best? Thatís what makes me pick a guitar. I like thin necks like Ibanez. I hate baseball bat necks. Some people love them.

Everything else you can change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
    Dave - we got a Steinberger with a body on CL right now...
    Saw it. They want too much.

I looked at that one, but I'm not quite sure how the tremolo would hold tuning stability during extreme dive bombing, since the guitar has no locking nut.
    Judging from the comments I have seen in Charvel groups I would very much avoid them for this very reason. They apparently sell well, but I fail to see who the market for this is...

Quote Originally Posted by Sirion View Post
    Judging from the comments I have seen in Charvel groups I would very much avoid them for this very reason. They apparently sell well, but I fail to see who the market for this is...
    Probably someone like me. My main guitar is a Jackson SL3 that I retrofitted with an OFR and play without the lock pads and bolts in place. I think it sounds better that way. If I'm going to use a trem heavily, I have an Ibanez RG520 for that.

Super Toneologist Obsessive Compulsive's Avatar

Charvel is meh. I finally traded my So Cal (with a troublesome neck that won't stay straight and with poking ends) a month ago with an almost brand new 2018 FGN Odyssey. Best decision I ever made in guitar collecting. The dope was so enarmored with the case that he actually threw in an SD Dirty Deeds, a Blackstar HT (the yellow one) and a Boss MultiOvertone pedals to cover just the case.

I have an Ibanez Prestige but not as impressed as I used to be anymore. Get a Schecter, or a Washburn Parallaxe if you can find one.

Super Toneologist The JEM Ghost's Avatar

A couple of good suggestions have been made already: Ibanez RG, a decent Ibanez S would get you a long way too, but you'll need the later versions, they used to be 22 frets up to a certain year.
    ESP LTD's are a valid option as well. Jackson Dinky (or Charvel) or Soloist is another option. Depends if you like set-neck or bolt on in the Jackson case.

You may want to check these out as well:
    https://www.thomann.de/be/harley_ben...fr_eb_fblb.htm

Seems incredible value for money: A Floyd Rose 1000, stainless steel frets, spokewheel trus rod adjustment, Grover machine heads, ... for a price that is incredibly low.
    They come in a lot of colors, you can choose from ebony, maple and roasted maple fretboards.
    Seems to offer a lot of what you are after, except the reversed headstock, and for the price they are offered... definitely worth looking into!
    "You can buy muscles (steroÔds), but you can't buy "cojones". (quoted: Bas Rutten)

Graph tech nut and locking tuners. You donít need a locking nut with that. Just set it up and play.

That one looks like an awesome model. Comes stock with a Screaminí Demon and A2P with a series/parallel switch (never seem that stock before), EVH pots and no load tone control. Itís giving me GAS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Demanic
    Incompetence is widespread in a world that rewards mediocrity while punishing excellence.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarFanatic
    I am currently using Skullcandy headphones I found in the garbage.
    I did find the DS-1 in the garbage.
    I once found a guitar amp in the garbage, a Peavey Studio 110. It caught fire at the first gig I played it at.. But it was at the end of it, thank god.

Quote Originally Posted by beaubrummels View Post
    Graph tech nut and locking tuners. You don’t need a locking nut with that. Just set it up and play.

That one looks like an awesome model. Comes stock with a Screamin’ Demon and A2P with a series/parallel switch (never seem that stock before), EVH pots and no load tone control. It’s giving me GAS.
    Unfinished roasted maple necks are sex.

Quote Originally Posted by The JEM Ghost View Post
    ...a decent Ibanez S would get you a long way too, but you'll need the later versions, they used to be 22 frets up to a certain year.
    If Ibanez would have offered this thing with floating tremolo this post would not exist, since I would have bought it as soon as it was released, I guess.https://www.ibanez.com/na/products/d...1al_1p_01.html

...Jackson Dinky (or Charvel) or Soloist is another option. Depends if you like set-neck or bolt on in the Jackson case.
    No preference really, as long as the cosntruction is solid. I've seen great examples of both methods of construction.

I've read great comments about those. Could be an option, but for some reason it looks too good to be true... I meand at this price point.

Quote Originally Posted by beaubrummels View Post
    Graph tech nut and locking tuners. You don’t need a locking nut with that. Just set it up and play.
    Mmm ok that changes things a little bit. That guitar is very sleek, indeed.

Default Which one to choose and why?

Idk...although graphtech nuts are excellent (I have them in 2 guitars) I canít imagine Floyd rose usage AND it staying in tune. The guitars I have them in are not trem equips and I still need to tune them very regularly.

Unless of course the bridge in that pic is a hard tail...I canít see it very well on my phone. If it is hardtail then the GTech is a big step up.
    Last edited by Gtrjunior; 05-26-2020 at 07:41 AM.

A shredtastic Guitar that travels well? Boom!

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...e-cosmic-black
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by Gtrjunior View Post
    Idk...although graphtech nuts are excellent (I have them in 2 guitars) I canít imagine Floyd rose usage AND it staying in tune. The guitars I have them in are not trem equips and I still need to tune them very regularly.

Unless of course the bridge in that pic is a hard tail...I canít see it very well on my phone. If it is hardtail then the GTech is a big step up.
    Itís the locking tuners and how you thread/wrap them that do most of the work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Demanic
    Incompetence is widespread in a world that rewards mediocrity while punishing excellence.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarFanatic
    I am currently using Skullcandy headphones I found in the garbage.
    I did find the DS-1 in the garbage.
    I once found a guitar amp in the garbage, a Peavey Studio 110. It caught fire at the first gig I played it at.. But it was at the end of it, thank god.