Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Non-TrueBypass pedals with good buffers

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
    I know... but seriously you can get a lot done with that board.
    My issue is all the dead weight on it. I'd never turn on the metalzone or choruses.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by dr.barlo View Post
      I was under the impression that Mooer and Joyo's were true bypass.

B ???
      It varies with their lineup, there will be a list of their truebypass pedals somewhere online. Although most of the old joyo pedals used a 3pdt switch which could be rewired to truebypass mod, their Ironman series & the recent ones I've not looked into much.

The newer tce reworked behringer designs use truebypass too.

Any specific effects you are looking at could narrow down the search cause there are a few cheap pedals out there that are clones of more expensive pedals but can't say if they are going to have a buffer in them.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
        That board has:
        - delay
        - 2 choruses
        - 3 distortion pedals
        - 1 tuner

Not very versatile (or usable for me).

I'd keep the BD-2 and tuner if building a board. Maybe the DM-2, but would have to see if 800ms is enough delay length for me. What more do you need?
        - fuzz
        - phaser
        - univibe
        - flanger
        - tremolo
        - wah

. . . and maybe reverb depending on the amp used.

:P
        No guitarist was harmed in the making of this post -because no Phlanger was mentioned.

Thank you for your service.
        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
          No guitarist was harmed in the making of this post -because no Phlanger was mentioned.

Thank you for your service.
          After years of hating choruses and not being able to get them to sound right, I've realized that what I always kinda liked and thought was a chorus on recordings was a flanger.
          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
            After years of hating choruses and not being able to get them to sound right, I've realized that what I always kinda liked and thought was a chorus on recordings was a flanger.
            Me too! Was following a thread on another forum about post-punk bands and they kept mentioning a particular flanger that several '80s British bands I liked back then used. I was like "wait, what?!"

Comment

- Boss TU2: I think its buffer is good. I have been using it in my gigging board like, I dunno, 20 years maybe more in gigs rehearsals. And Korg Pitchback is much better as tuner I think, the only reason I keep that TU 2 is its buffer. I can hear a difference in an AB test done at home in silence (comparing the same setup with that TU and without it).

- Boss DS-1 was bad. On that same board. Then, I just did the following: 6 feet guitar cable, into a true bypass loop pedal that I did for myself and that DS-1 placed in its loop, followed by a 20-24 feet guitar cable into Fender Blues jr. I was really surprised to see Boss DS-1's buffer was real bad you know. I was kinda expecting it to sound better after all, because of the additional 20-24 feet cable. Soul Food and TU2 did great in that test of mine.
              Shouldn't all Boss pedals be equipped with the same buffering technology?

Anyway, I would just use a dedicated buffer pedal - you can find them cheap and most of the time they are really small if the space on your pedalboard is an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by BleedingFingertips View Post
                Shouldn't all Boss pedals be equipped with the same buffering technology?
                You’d think so, but they are not. Check out the link I posted above.

Here it is:
                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Here it is:
                  http://stinkfoot.se/archives/3736
                  Great article! Thanks for sharing.

"(some say that an op-amp buffer can sound ”cold” and ”stiff” compared to a good transistor one)"
                  I never knew DD-5 buffer was any different from other Boss pedals, but this nails my experience with it.
                  "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                  Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
                    Great article! Thanks for sharing.
                    I never knew DD-5 buffer was any different from other Boss pedals, but this nails my experience with it.
                    Correction (I originally posted DD5) but it's the DD-7 that is the least favorite Boss Pedal I've ever owned -I suspect that the pre/de emphasis through the bypass is only the beginning of the circuitry differences in that pedal.
                    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Here it is:
                      http://stinkfoot.se/archives/3736
                      That's a cool concise article -thanks!

-however the article he references in that article about 4 Boss pedals in a row is not as good -if you put 4 true bypass pedals with cable and 13 total connectors (10 on the cables and 8 jacks on pedals) and all your equipment's resolution sees is a tiny notch at 20Khz -then your setup is not accurate enough for good science IMO.. In the end -his conclusion from that setup is probably close enough to correct with overall loss of 2.5 dB through the 4 buffers to be good guidance for people -so not a BAD article -but I would prefer someone going through the trouble of making such an article to confirm these readings with professional diagnostic equipment -not consumer gear.

I have professional diagnostic equipment -maybe I should give it a go and compare.

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                        Correction (I originally posted DD5) but it's the DD-7 that is the least favorite Boss Pedal I've ever owned -I suspect that the pre/de emphasis through the bypass is only the beginning of the circuitry differences in that pedal.
                        I stand corrected. It was DD-7 I had trouble with as well!

Had to check google, I didn't recall at all it existed...
                        "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                        Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Strange... I thought my DD7 was not bad, on the contrary, I thought it having a somewhat decent buffer...

Aren't they all the same? Are they differences between DD7's?

B
                          FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

I've checked an old vid I've done comparing some delays.

Dear all,This is my comparison of TC Electronic Flashback delay pedal and MXR Carbon Copy done together (in order to give you more ideas) with a Fender Blues...

It turns out mine was a DD-6.

Sorry about that, forgot about it completely. So much difference between in the buffers of a DD-6 and a DD-7?

B

Comment

Strange... I thought my DD7 was not bad, on the contrary, I thought it having a somewhat decent buffer...

Aren't they all the same? Are they differences between DD7's?

B
                              There were some cool sounds on the DD7 -but for me it just had this papery, dry thing like the sound was being flattened into 2 dimensions or something.

I used it in places on recordings effectively -but it couldn't be a pedal on my board or in line for me.

Comment

Mine wasn't a DD7. It was a DD6...

Did not remember it right!

B

Comment

Working...
                                X