Custom Custom match

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Custom match

Hi all, I have a body I知 repainting, so when reassembling I知 going to redo the pickups, pots and etc. For the redo I知 going for maximum versatility in a rock to hard rock context. I might hit what we used to call heavy metal back when I was young.... shortly after fire was invented. I知 definitely not going for modern metal chug. The guitar is an American alder Strat with a two point trem and a rosewood fingerboard. I致e got another Strat with the same construction but with a JB2, an SSL2 and a 59. It痴 great but thinking a different voice mould be nice for a bigger pallet.

Thoughts on how a Custom Custom would differ from a JB2? Seems like a more centred mid voice and a rounder bottom... on paper. Also... I知 unsure if I want to go HSH of HSS. Thoughts on how a Custom Custom plays with singles? Perhaps APS2s? If not, thinking a pearly gates neck might fit well with an APS2 middle.

Thanks

Re: Custom Custom match

I've had the Custom Custom with a Pearly Gates before. It's a great combo for blues to hard rock in a naturally bright or thin sounding guitar. Both are slightly dark pickups with rich textured midrange character. Not muddy, but definitely a bit dark.

The main identifying characteristic of A2 pickups is the spongy bass. Notes sort of bloom rather than snap. Both of these have that. It's a really nice tone if you're not playing anything too fast and bassy.

I can't comment on what single coil would work between them, but I'd bet most A2 choices would be nice.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

Comment

Totally different beast but I have a Flying V with a CustomCustom in the bridge and a Phat Cat in the neck and it's surprisingly good. The Phat Cat is smoothe and clean with a touch of grit and the CC gives a nice boost for leads and riffs.
      green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

If you go HSH you may want to check out the ssl-52. It matches well with humbuckers if you use an autosplit. The bass strings are tighter with the a5 mags and the high strings are less sharp with the a2's. I use it in the middle position of my strat which has aps-II in the bridge and neck. The 52 adds some nice brightness with otherwise warmer pickups adding some cool versatility. I bet that would also be true in your HSH setup.

Comment

What guitar? Floyded super Strat is different than a hard tail or some mahogany bodied guitar.

Nothing matched the CC's central mid hump in terms of the middleness of the middle, or the amplitude of it.
          Last edited by Aceman; 05-23-2020, 11:13 AM.
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Custom Custom / Cool Rails in this one:

Originally posted by crusty philtrum
            And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

The CC sounds nothing like a JB2 to me. It is more dynamic with more true mids. I pair mine with an Alnico II Pro, but I am not playing metal, either.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I think that the JB is too hot for an A2. Unless you are playing old, old school jazz. The Custom is about the limit for the A2 mag. Unless you are talking about the Scott Ian El Diablo.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

I like the CC and APS2 combo that's in my blue strat now. Only downside for me is that a 250k volume is too muddy for the CC and a 500k volume is a bit too harsh on the APS2. Right now, I have the neck and middle on one tone pot with it rolled off slightly.

Comment

Working...
                  X