Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: So....500k pots for everyone!

  1. #1
    mild old man perv Aceman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!
    Age
    53
    Posts
    36,121

    Default So....500k pots for everyone!

    I got my Les Paul #1 back. 500k all around, 50 wiring on all pots.

    OMG - my Distortion is back to wicked &^%%^ing EVIL in that guitar!!!!!

    So happy the 300k blanket is off!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

  2. #2
    PenultimateTone Member Demanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Phoenix area.
    Age
    53
    Posts
    16,431

    Default Re: So....500k pots for everyone!

    Grats. I don't really understand why anyone would want 250k-300k pots for humbuckers. Certainly don't know why any company would use them as stock. Maybe for singles. Or old school bass.

    Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Mojo's Minions ItsaBass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    12,322

    Default Re: So....500k pots for everyone!

    Try 1M linear volumes if you really want to get happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by LesStrat View Post
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by JOLLY View Post
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

  4. #4
    mild old man perv Aceman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!
    Age
    53
    Posts
    36,121

    Default Re: So....500k pots for everyone!

    When I went from the T-TOp to the distortion, it was sooooo much better I didn't care. But like I have said, playing ceramics in my Cadillacs....nope, need the 500s!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

  5. #5
    PenultimateTone Member Demanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Phoenix area.
    Age
    53
    Posts
    16,431

    Default Re: So....500k pots for everyone!

    Like you said, took the blanket off.

    Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Ultimate Tone Slacker Dave Locher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Joplin, MO, smack dab in the middle of the U.S.
    Posts
    2,015

    Default Re: So....500k pots for everyone!

    Quote Originally Posted by Demanic View Post
    Grats. I don't really understand why anyone would want 250k-300k pots for humbuckers. Certainly don't know why any company would use them as stock. Maybe for singles. Or old school bass.
    Me either, but if I remember correctly T-tops are BRIGHT!

  7. #7
    Mojo's Minions Lewguitar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Age
    70
    Posts
    3,773

    Default Re: So....500k pots for everyone!

    All of my guitars with humbuckers have 500K pots and 50's tone control wiring and a .02 tone cap.

    All of my guitars with single coils have 250K pots and "modern" tone control wiring and a .02 cap.

    I tried 50's wiring in my Strat and Tele but eventually returned them to standard. Single coils are bright and clear enough for me as is. They don't need to be brighter or clearer.

    But my humbucker guitars do, especially the neck pickup when I turn the guitar's volume knob down.

    So on some of my PRS guitars with humbuckers I disconnected the tone control from the neck pickup because it makes it clearer and I never turned down the tone control on that pickup anyway. I do need the tone control for the bridge pickup though - on ALL of my guitars.
    Last edited by Lewguitar; 05-23-2020 at 05:43 AM.
    “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

  8. #8
    Mojo's Minions ErikH's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    The Lonestar State
    Age
    48
    Posts
    20,364

    Default Re: So....500k pots for everyone!

    For me it depends on the humbucker. In my old Frankenstrat, I eventually went with a 250k volume with the Screamin' Demon pickups that are in it. In my Warmoth Strat, there's a single 500k push/pull with the Jason Becker humbucker. My Les Paul and Dean ML have 500K throughout. My SG Jr with the P90 has a 500k volume and 250k tone. When I had a Gibson SG Classic (dual P90's), I yanked the 300k volumes for 500k yet left the 300k tones. It sounded perfect.

  9. #9
    Ultimate Tone Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    595

    Default Re: So....500k pots for everyone!

    Quote Originally Posted by ErikH View Post
    For me it depends on the humbucker. In my old Frankenstrat, I eventually went with a 250k volume with the Screamin' Demon pickups that are in it. In my Warmoth Strat, there's a single 500k push/pull with the Jason Becker humbucker. My Les Paul and Dean ML have 500K throughout. My SG Jr with the P90 has a 500k volume and 250k tone. When I had a Gibson SG Classic (dual P90's), I yanked the 300k volumes for 500k yet left the 300k tones. It sounded perfect.
    I have an SG Classic, I am pretty sure the tones are already 500K, it's just the volumes that are 300K.
    Al

  10. #10
    Toneologist
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    New York
    Age
    38
    Posts
    606

    Default Re: So....500k pots for everyone!

    I usually get the 550k pots, that way even if tolerances are way off I have at least 500k. I’ve had some 500k pots test out at well under.

  11. #11
    mild old man perv Aceman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!
    Age
    53
    Posts
    36,121

    Default Re: So....500k pots for everyone!

    Well, these so called "300's" from Gibson (in 1979!) could have been way way off. But now - PURE EVIL SHRIEKING RAWK!!!!!

    And of course, my ears may be a little less hifi than they were 30 years ago too!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

  12. #12
    Administrator Mincer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Tampa Bay area, Florida, USA
    Posts
    25,880

    Default Re: So....500k pots for everyone!

    Always 500k and modern wiring for me, but I am happy this combo is working for you!
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

    My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

    Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

  13. #13
    Mojo's Minions ErikH's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    The Lonestar State
    Age
    48
    Posts
    20,364

    Default Re: So....500k pots for everyone!

    Quote Originally Posted by Zombiwoof View Post
    I have an SG Classic, I am pretty sure the tones are already 500K, it's just the volumes that are 300K.
    Al
    You might be right about that. Mine was a 2008-9 model. I could swear the tones were 300K. Either way, it opened up and sounded so much better with the 500K volumes. I miss that guitar.

  14. #14
    mild old man perv Aceman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!
    Age
    53
    Posts
    36,121

    Default Re: So....500k pots for everyone!

    Again: The correct answer is now 500k's all around w/ 50's wiring!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

  15. #15
    Ultimate Tone Slacker Dave Locher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Joplin, MO, smack dab in the middle of the U.S.
    Posts
    2,015

    Default Re: So....500k pots for everyone!

    Quote Originally Posted by Lewguitar View Post
    All of my guitars with humbuckers have 500K pots and 50's tone control wiring and a .02 tone cap.

    All of my guitars with single coils have 250K pots and "modern" tone control wiring and a .02 cap.

    I tried 50's wiring in my Strat and Tele but eventually returned them to standard. Single coils are bright and clear enough for me as is. They don't need to be brighter or clearer.

    But my humbucker guitars do, especially the neck pickup when I turn the guitar's volume knob down.

    So on some of my PRS guitars with humbuckers I disconnected the tone control from the neck pickup because it makes it clearer and I never turned down the tone control on that pickup anyway. I do need the tone control for the bridge pickup though - on ALL of my guitars.
    What is '50s wiring for a Strat or Tele? (Or what is modern wiring?) I don't know and would like to learn something new

  16. #16
    Mojo's Minions dr.barlo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Istanbul
    Age
    48
    Posts
    3,654

    Default Re: So....500k pots for everyone!

    It is about how to connect the cap to the volume pot...

    Name:  50s-Wiring-1980x803.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  26.8 KB

    Here is some info:

    https://www.fralinpickups.com/2020/0...modern-wiring/

    B

  17. #17
    Mojo's Minions dr.barlo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Istanbul
    Age
    48
    Posts
    3,654

    Default Re: So....500k pots for everyone!

    I am using 500K pots even on my tele!

    Sure, it is a bit brighter but that's where using a nice cap and tone pot comes into play. I think, "you cannot add clarity when needed", but with the tone pot "you can always wash off some extra highs".

    That said, I know getting used to using the tone control extensively, takes some getting used to.

    B

    PS. I never got to like a 1M pot tho. I had some lying around (for an amp build, those big alphas) and I kinda found them a bit sterile on my LP. It was as if some sound dude boosted up ~2kHz-3kHz a bit while I am playing... Did not like it at all.
    Last edited by dr.barlo; 05-24-2020 at 03:28 AM.

  18. #18
    Mojo's Minions dystrust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    West St. Paul, MN
    Age
    39
    Posts
    4,844

    Default Re: So....500k pots for everyone!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Locher View Post
    What is '50s wiring for a Strat or Tele? (Or what is modern wiring?) I don't know and would like to learn something new
    I'm pretty sure he means Gibson 50s style wiring. I have that in both my Strat and Tele because I don't care for how modern wiring sounds.
    Quote Originally Posted by crusty philtrum View Post
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

  19. #19
    Mojo's Minions ItsaBass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    12,322

    Default Re: So....500k pots for everyone!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Locher View Post
    What is '50s wiring for a Strat or Tele? (Or what is modern wiring?) I don't know and would like to learn something new
    Strat wiring, 1954–1976:

    three way switch
    no tone control on bridge pickup
    Note: for the first few months of 1954 Strat production, 100K pots were used

    Tele wiring, 1952–1967:

    1. bridge pickup, no tone control
    2. neck pickup with tone control
    3. neck pickup with all treble removed

    Tele wiring before that (double Esquires, Broadcasters, nocasters, and early Telecasters) featured a pickup blend control instead of the tone control:

    1. bridge pickup, blend control to roll in neck pickup
    2. neck pickup with no tone control and no blend control
    3. neck pickup with all treble removed, no blend control

    IMO, original Strat wiring is far superior to modern, but original Tele wiring is not. That said, I don't like modern Tele wiring either, because I have no use for the both pickups on ("middle") setting, and I don't like master tone controls. I wire for a combination of Esquire and early blend wiring:

    1. bridge pickup, no tone control
    2. bridge pickup, with tone control
    3. neck pickup, no tone control

    Positions 1 and 2 are like an Esquire, and position 3 is like the middle position of the early Tele wiring scheme.
    Last edited by ItsaBass; 05-24-2020 at 12:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by LesStrat View Post
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by JOLLY View Post
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

  20. #20
    Mojo's Minions beaubrummels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    The dude abides
    Age
    55
    Posts
    8,797

    Default Re: So....500k pots for everyone!

    I’ve seen at least 3 different versions of the Fender Tele dark circuit in various schematics for broadcaster, Esquire and telecaster. When I tried the one with two caps and a resistor it actually didn’t remove all the treble. It seemed to leak the highest treble part of the signal and the result was kind of an arch top sound of you strum up by the neck. You could hear the pluck of the pick on the strings. Very useful, switching from rhythm to lead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Demanic
    Incompetence is widespread in a world that rewards mediocrity while punishing excellence.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarFanatic
    I am currently using Skullcandy headphones I found in the garbage.
    I did find the DS-1 in the garbage.
    I once found a guitar amp in the garbage, a Peavey Studio 110. It caught fire at the first gig I played it at.. But it was at the end of it, thank god.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •