So....500k pots for everyone!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: So....500k pots for everyone!

It is about how to connect the cap to the volume pot...

Click image for larger version

Name:	50s-Wiring-1980x803.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	5820639

Here is some info:

What's the difference between '50s Wiring and Modern Wiring for Les Pauls? Find out how a simple wiring trick can change your tone!

B
    FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

I am using 500K pots even on my tele!

Sure, it is a bit brighter but that's where using a nice cap and tone pot comes into play. I think, "you cannot add clarity when needed", but with the tone pot "you can always wash off some extra highs".

That said, I know getting used to using the tone control extensively, takes some getting used to.

B

PS. I never got to like a 1M pot tho. I had some lying around (for an amp build, those big alphas) and I kinda found them a bit sterile on my LP. It was as if some sound dude boosted up ~2kHz-3kHz a bit while I am playing... Did not like it at all.
      Last edited by dr.barlo; 05-24-2020, 04:28 AM.
      FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
        What is '50s wiring for a Strat or Tele? (Or what is modern wiring?) I don't know and would like to learn something new
        I'm pretty sure he means Gibson 50s style wiring. I have that in both my Strat and Tele because I don't care for how modern wiring sounds.
        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
        And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
          What is '50s wiring for a Strat or Tele? (Or what is modern wiring?) I don't know and would like to learn something new
          Strat wiring, 1954–1976:

three way switch
          no tone control on bridge pickup
          Note: for the first few months of 1954 Strat production, 100K pots were used

Tele wiring, 1952–1967:

1. bridge pickup, no tone control
          2. neck pickup with tone control
          3. neck pickup with all treble removed

Tele wiring before that (double Esquires, Broadcasters, nocasters, and early Telecasters) featured a pickup blend control instead of the tone control:

1. bridge pickup, blend control to roll in neck pickup
          2. neck pickup with no tone control and no blend control
          3. neck pickup with all treble removed, no blend control

IMO, original Strat wiring is far superior to modern, but original Tele wiring is not. That said, I don't like modern Tele wiring either, because I have no use for the both pickups on ("middle") setting, and I don't like master tone controls. I wire for a combination of Esquire and early blend wiring:

1. bridge pickup, no tone control
          2. bridge pickup, with tone control
          3. neck pickup, no tone control

Positions 1 and 2 are like an Esquire, and position 3 is like the middle position of the early Tele wiring scheme.
          Last edited by ItsaBass; 05-24-2020, 01:44 PM.
          Originally posted by LesStrat
          Yogi Berra was correct.
          Originally posted by JOLLY
          I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

I’ve seen at least 3 different versions of the Fender Tele dark circuit in various schematics for broadcaster, Esquire and telecaster. When I tried the one with two caps and a resistor it actually didn’t remove all the treble. It seemed to leak the highest treble part of the signal and the result was kind of an arch top sound of you strum up by the neck. You could hear the pluck of the pick on the strings. Very useful, switching from rhythm to lead.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
              I’ve seen at least 3 different versions of the Fender Tele dark circuit in various schematics for broadcaster, Esquire and telecaster. When I tried the one with two caps and a resistor it actually didn’t remove all the treble. It seemed to leak the highest treble part of the signal and the result was kind of an arch top sound of you strum up by the neck. You could hear the pluck of the pick on the strings. Very useful, switching from rhythm to lead.
              The Esquire and Tele dark positions were different, and some monkeying went on with them over the years – but more with the Esquire than with the Tele. The typical Tele dark position is basically just like running your stock tone control all the way down. (The Eldred Esquire circuit is this also, but with a much lower valued cap – less than 1/10 of the capacitance used in the Tele dark circuit.)
              Originally posted by LesStrat
              Yogi Berra was correct.
              Originally posted by JOLLY
              I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

What is all this Tele stuff you guys are discussing?!?!?!?

I'm talking about balls-to-the-wall 15k+ Ceramic metal guitar!
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Going off topic. Like all guitarists do. Something to do with all that improv we do.

Comment

I went from 250 pots to 500 snd now my JCM800 sounds like its hooked up to 460v 3-phase.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                      What is all this Tele stuff you guys are discussing?!?!?!?

I'm talking about balls-to-the-wall 15k+ Ceramic metal guitar!
                      'Twas me.
                      Someone mentioned "modern wiring" for a Strat and Tele and I wondered what that meant. We can now return to placing your ceramic 15k balls to the wall...

Comment

Working...
                      X