So....500k pots for everyone!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So....500k pots for everyone!

I got my Les Paul #1 back. 500k all around, 50 wiring on all pots.

OMG - my Distortion is back to wicked &^%%^ing EVIL in that guitar!!!!!

So happy the 300k blanket is off!!!!
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Re: So....500k pots for everyone!

Grats. I don't really understand why anyone would want 250k-300k pots for humbuckers. Certainly don't know why any company would use them as stock. Maybe for singles. Or old school bass.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Try 1M linear volumes if you really want to get happy.
      Originally posted by LesStrat
      Yogi Berra was correct.
      Originally posted by JOLLY
      I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

When I went from the T-TOp to the distortion, it was sooooo much better I didn't care. But like I have said, playing ceramics in my Cadillacs....nope, need the 500s!

Comment

Like you said, took the blanket off.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
            Grats. I don't really understand why anyone would want 250k-300k pots for humbuckers. Certainly don't know why any company would use them as stock. Maybe for singles. Or old school bass.
            Me either, but if I remember correctly T-tops are BRIGHT!

Comment

All of my guitars with humbuckers have 500K pots and 50's tone control wiring and a .02 tone cap.

All of my guitars with single coils have 250K pots and "modern" tone control wiring and a .02 cap.

I tried 50's wiring in my Strat and Tele but eventually returned them to standard. Single coils are bright and clear enough for me as is. They don't need to be brighter or clearer.

But my humbucker guitars do, especially the neck pickup when I turn the guitar's volume knob down.

So on some of my PRS guitars with humbuckers I disconnected the tone control from the neck pickup because it makes it clearer and I never turned down the tone control on that pickup anyway. I do need the tone control for the bridge pickup though - on ALL of my guitars.
              Last edited by Lewguitar; 05-23-2020, 06:43 AM.
              “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

For me it depends on the humbucker. In my old Frankenstrat, I eventually went with a 250k volume with the Screamin' Demon pickups that are in it. In my Warmoth Strat, there's a single 500k push/pull with the Jason Becker humbucker. My Les Paul and Dean ML have 500K throughout. My SG Jr with the P90 has a 500k volume and 250k tone. When I had a Gibson SG Classic (dual P90's), I yanked the 300k volumes for 500k yet left the 300k tones. It sounded perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                  For me it depends on the humbucker. In my old Frankenstrat, I eventually went with a 250k volume with the Screamin' Demon pickups that are in it. In my Warmoth Strat, there's a single 500k push/pull with the Jason Becker humbucker. My Les Paul and Dean ML have 500K throughout. My SG Jr with the P90 has a 500k volume and 250k tone. When I had a Gibson SG Classic (dual P90's), I yanked the 300k volumes for 500k yet left the 300k tones. It sounded perfect.
                  I have an SG Classic, I am pretty sure the tones are already 500K, it's just the volumes that are 300K.
                  Al

Comment

I usually get the 550k pots, that way even if tolerances are way off I have at least 500k. I’ve had some 500k pots test out at well under.

Comment

Well, these so called "300's" from Gibson (in 1979!) could have been way way off. But now - PURE EVIL SHRIEKING RAWK!!!!!

And of course, my ears may be a little less hifi than they were 30 years ago too!

Comment

Always 500k and modern wiring for me, but I am happy this combo is working for you!
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Zombiwoof View Post
                          I have an SG Classic, I am pretty sure the tones are already 500K, it's just the volumes that are 300K.
                          Al
                          You might be right about that. Mine was a 2008-9 model. I could swear the tones were 300K. Either way, it opened up and sounded so much better with the 500K volumes. I miss that guitar.

Comment

Again: The correct answer is now 500k's all around w/ 50's wiring!

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
                              All of my guitars with humbuckers have 500K pots and 50's tone control wiring and a .02 tone cap.

All of my guitars with single coils have 250K pots and "modern" tone control wiring and a .02 cap.

I tried 50's wiring in my Strat and Tele but eventually returned them to standard. Single coils are bright and clear enough for me as is. They don't need to be brighter or clearer.

But my humbucker guitars do, especially the neck pickup when I turn the guitar's volume knob down.

So on some of my PRS guitars with humbuckers I disconnected the tone control from the neck pickup because it makes it clearer and I never turned down the tone control on that pickup anyway. I do need the tone control for the bridge pickup though - on ALL of my guitars.
                              What is '50s wiring for a Strat or Tele? (Or what is modern wiring?) I don't know and would like to learn something new

Comment

Working...
                              X