type of cables?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• type of cables?

Hey gang...was taking stock of my rig this afternoon after reading up on a little tube amp I just acquired that came with a foot switch, and the manual for the amp states that if the FS has to be used an extended length away from the amp that unshielded speaker cable should be used instead of a guitar cable, which makes sense. That being said, should unshielded cable be used for an extended connection between a pedalboard and amp as well? Isn't unshielded cables the same as "balanced" cables that can be used between say, a keyboard and a mixer?

Re: type of cables?

No, unshielded is ok for switching because you are just closing a switch. By using a shielded cable, you could be sending the switch signal back through the shield, depending on construction.

For any signal level cables you want shielded to reduce noise.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

That makes sense, too, because all the patch cables are basically mini guitar cables in a chain leading to the end of the effects, then to the amp...take away the effects (answering my own question...lol) and there would still have to be a guitar cable to connect. I use a 3 ft. unshielded cable between "speaker out" on the amp and a 2x12 cab which is appropriate.

Y'know...I might've just had a senior moment...and over here in the state of Washington the cannabis is legal. After a fairly small amount of scrutinizing my original question it became apparent to me that my reasoning process must've been slightly askew and a little overthought. I appreciate your assist in righting the ship!

Comment

If you want to listen to radio, use un shielded cable into the front.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
          If you want to listen to radio, use un shielded cable into the front.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

I have a crybaby that used to pick up cordless phonecall conversations that I could listen to through my amp.

Comment

My CryBaby picks up spanish stations, mariachi music. But as soon as I start playing, it's SSSSoooooooouuuuuul Train.
            Wamp-wamp-wamp-wacka-da-wamp-wamp-wamp-wacka-da

Comment

Heavy EMF can actually interfere with the operation of a GPI contact, TTL, and Serial communications (footswitches are usually GPI) in very EXTREME specialized cases , but not in a dry contact relay scenario for a guitar footswitch more known in the amp world, so shielding is really to prevent inducting noise, in the event it creates an antenna induction scenario that creates noise in your signal path or cleanliness of your power from a footswitch turned RF receiver

So for Guitar cable and Communication cables you want a shield/drain as the 2nd conductor path to ground -but even better a third shield shield wrap tied to a drain and only terminated at the destination end (in a guitar playing scenario) and let the other 2 conductors connect point to point. -but I wouldn't go to this trouble UNLESS you have issues with EMF or are doing Venue touring and keep encountering dirty stuff from rigging equipment and facility/local RF
              “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Everyone is picking radio stations witha wah pedal and I can't get my favorite to dial in with a roof antenna pole

Maybe I do need CryBaby after all
                "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Working...
                X