banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seymour Duncan Jeff Loomis Blackouts (TB6/HB6 Preamps)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seymour Duncan Jeff Loomis Blackouts (TB6/HB6 Preamps)

Hi all,

I’m thinking on buying a set of Jeff Loomis Blackouts for one of my “Swamp Ash” guitars. I usually go for a set of Duncan Distortions or Nazgul/Sentient (tried the Black Winters 2 times but they keep sounding to me kind of harsh/too bright).

While I was looking to buy the Jeff Loomis set (have it in my checkout cart) I looked for some photos and I realized that in the back of the pickups it says :

Bridge Pickup : Blackouts TB6 Differential Preamp
    Neck Pickup : Blackouts HB6 Single Ended Preamp

So that caught my attention a lot, and started to think about what does that mean ?. I think we all can agree that this set and the duality set lack of information in the web compared to other models like regular Blackouts or the whole passive pickup arsenal.

Wanted to ask you. Does anyone know if that means the Jeff Loomis Blackouts are based on the Duncan Distortion set but with alnico V magnets and an active preamp ?

There’s only a handful of videos testing this pickups on YouTube, and besides the 2 videos from Jeff Loomis, the other 3-4 videos from users lack of sound quality.

Has anyone tried/used them extensively enough already to mention if they do sound like a set of Distortions with a twist ?

Re: Seymour Duncan Jeff Loomis Blackouts (TB6/HB6 Preamps)

My guess is that if you swapped the ceramic magnet in a distortion for alnico regardless if it was active or passive that the response would be very different. Then again I haven’t tried the loomis pickups yet...though I am curious to see how they sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Nsatke81 View Post
      My guess is that if you swapped the ceramic magnet in a distortion for alnico regardless if it was active or passive that the response would be very different. Then again I haven’t tried the loomis pickups yet...though I am curious to see how they sound.
      The popular idea is that the Distortion with an Alnico V is a JB pickup. But this thing with the Jeff Loomis Blackouts have me intrigued about that stamp saying TB6 Preamp Differential. I have very little knowledge on electronics but based on a few electronic websites it says : A differential preamp amplifies the difference between 2 signals and blending them into 1 output.

My guesses are :

1. Signal 1 is the preamp based on the Duncan Distortion EQ and output, and signal 2 is the one coming from the coils and alnico V magnet. Both sums and results in the particular sound of the pickup.

2. The preamp name doesn’t have anything to do with the Duncan Distortion.

Comment

I am not sure how closely related they are. I've never used those in the same guitar, so there is no direct comparison. I know the compression is about the same, though.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          I am not sure how closely related they are. I've never used those in the same guitar, so there is no direct comparison. I know the compression is about the same, though.
          Hi,

This helps. Because based on the videos from YouTube, the JL set sounds good for shredding or single note playing, but I wasn’t very convinced by the rhythm playing sound, sounds a bit muffled which is weird because most of the people that has the set mention is crazy loud. Might be the amp/effect used in the videos. I’m still thinking on buying them.

Based on your experience, how would you compare them to other passive or active pickups ?

Comment

I wouldn't say either set is muffled in *any* way. The JL set is essentially just a louder version. It might depend on the kind of gain you like, though. Any of these pickups aren't really versatile, as they are designed for gain and that's it. I think the active pickups have more highs and lows, or just seems like it, because of the active nature.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
            X