I think my pickups are faulty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think my pickups are faulty

It's a Dean VMNT Rust in Peace model with Mustaine sig humbuckers, it makes a screechy noise after hammer-ons and pull-offs mainly, but also on chords and notes when other strings aren't muted here's what it sounds like: https://clyp.it/jzhhpwwu
    I recorded it through Bias FX 2 and have tried adjusting the EQ for days and it remains, I don't know how to get rid of it.

Re: I think my pickups are faulty

Sounds like issues with hand technique to me.

Comment

^^This. And also these softwares -in my experience- have a tendency to create these weird noises. Plug it into a real rig.

Comment

Welcome to the forum!

It could also be gain staging. You might be hitting the software really hard, which is compressing everything, making every little sound as loud as the regular signal. Have you tried this into an actual amp?
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Hi,

All the previous suggestions are good ones and should be checked out.

Here is another possibility. Check that the action of the strings isn't set so low (and/or the pickup heights are so high) that the string(s) are hitting one or both of the pickups.
          Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

It doesn't sound like a string hitting a pickup, but it *could* be.
            I also agree with the other replies. It sounds like a lot of gain compressing all loud and quiet sounds from the guitar to the same volume in the recording.

In any case, it doesn't sound like a defective pickup.

Comment

I agree with the technique comments. I don't hear anything that would equate to a defective pickup.

Comment

Here is a definitive answer...no, absolutely not...the pickups are NOT faulty...there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with your pups that would be the cause of that noise.
                Take it to the bank.

My observations from many decades of experience are that we live in a very "entitled" time where people are not willing to accept personal responsibility for any problems. They are quick to blame anything and everything other than themselves. Pickups are a common object that get blamed for just about everything that doesn't sound right, even when it would only take a slight adjustment to a tone knob to fix the "problem". On this forum we have seen many threads about concerns regarding faulty pups...it must be the pups because "I have wired everything correctly". And when we have seen pics of the wiring/soldering it is pretty apparent where the "blame" lies.
                It is easier to blame the pickup rather than your own "incompetence". (I use that term NOT as a derogatory or judgemental implication, but just as a factual statement.)
                Originally Posted by IanBallard
                Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                  Here is a definitive answer...no, absolutely not...the pickups are NOT faulty...there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with your pups that would be the cause of that noise.
                  Take it to the bank.

My observations from many decades of experience are that we live in a very "entitled" time where people are not willing to accept personal responsibility for any problems. They are quick to blame anything and everything other than themselves. Pickups are a common object that get blamed for just about everything that doesn't sound right, even when it would only take a slight adjustment to a tone knob to fix the "problem". On this forum we have seen many threads about concerns regarding faulty pups...it must be the pups because "I have wired everything correctly". And when we have seen pics of the wiring/soldering it is pretty apparent where the "blame" lies.
                  It is easier to blame the pickup rather than your own "incompetence". (I use that term NOT as a derogatory or judgemental implication, but just as a factual statement.)
                  Oh no that's good actually XD I would rather it be me than faulty pups! Don't want to spend.

Comment

Yep, I got tons of compressing going on, I'll reduce that.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymous7 View Post
                      Yep, I got tons of compressing going on, I'll reduce that.
                      Generally that isn't great. Pick one (or 2 at the most) compression sources, and the rest is technique.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                      X