How often do you change your Elixers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How often do you change your Elixers?

I've had them on for about 3-4 months and the last few times I've played the guitar (Taylor 314) it has sounded kind of dull and lifeless. Guitar gets some light-moderate playing time a few days a week.

Maybe time for a fresh set?

Re: How often do you change your Elixers?

Sounds like it is...

I’ve gone through phases with Elixirs. I prefer the tone of regular strings (Ernie Ball Slinky’s and D’Addario Phospohor Bronze) but with the kids the last thing I want when I actually get playing time is to sit down and strum full strings. Basically all my guitars are Elixir now so they sound decent no matter what. The lightly played ones can go many months, sometimes a year between changes. My main electric I like to change about every 3 months, but if it goes 4/5/even 6 it’s way better than Slinky’s at that point.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I also use Elixirs due to very acidic sweat that just eat regular strings away in no time.
      I do tend to change the Elixirs every 3 months or so, they are not corroded by then, but it just guarantees fresh good tones.
      "You can buy muscles (steroïds), but you can't buy "cojones". (quoted: Bas Rutten)

Comment

The few times I've used them, the coating flakes off in a week, leaving white dandruff all over the case and my clothes. I'd rather just change strings more. I have tried the new D'Addario XTs, which are coated with something that doesn't flake off, and those seem to last pretty long. Still not sure if it is worth spending the $ for them, or just changing regular strings more.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I never change them 'cause I never put them on. I have one guitar now strung with them. But those are still the factory strings. How do I know? Flakes... But I have to admit that they feel kinda nice under my hands and sounding dull is not an option for them due to the EMGs

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            The few times I've used them, the coating flakes off in a week, leaving white dandruff all over the case and my clothes. I'd rather just change strings more. I have tried the new D'Addario XTs, which are coated with something that doesn't flake off, and those seem to last pretty long. Still not sure if it is worth spending the $ for them, or just changing regular strings more.
            I checked my string box and I am out of Elixers but I did have a set of XT that I put on. My first impression was to grab my wirecutters, but I will let them settle. I think they are going to be too thin and shrill on a a bright guitar like my 314. But they do feel a bit less stiff compared to the Elixers. I think the coating on the XTs is similar to Martin Lifespan, which I love on my 000-15. Those might work on the Taylor.. hmm

Comment

Curt Mangans I use last about 2-3 months usually. More in less played guitars. NYXL's lasted noticeably longer, and broke in much quicker, so I think that balajces out higher price.

Usually I just change strings when I notice my sound have come dull.

I've tried Elixirs in shop guitars couple of times and hated them. They felt thick and somehow sticky under my fingers.
              "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
              Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

D'adarrio EXP and Xts sound better than Elixirs (but Elixirs sound pretty good though) and their teflon style application doesn't get crappy like Elixirs are known to do.

Stay away from Ernie Ball/Dunlop Everlasts -they sound super tinny and terrible.
                “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I used to use Elixirs, but switched to DR Dragon Skins / Black Beauties a few years ago. I change them when they won't hold tune or when they start to sound noticeably dull, whichever happens first. On guitars that I don't play much they can last for a year or more, whereas with heavier use it's more like 3-4 months.
                  Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                  And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

I have exclusively used elixirs on my electrics for almost 20 years now. Any other brand of coated string seems to go dead in less than 1/3 the time (and uncoated are pretty much shot after 2-3 plays).

For me, I pull up the high e string and check underneath. You'll see when the strings are going bad that they get tarnished spots under the part of the string that goes over your frets. I can get away with about two months of daily play (maybe an hour?) this way. If I'm not recording or playing out with the guitar, I can leave 'em on for a couple months more but they definately start to sound funny.
                    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                      I have exclusively used elixirs on my electrics for almost 20 years now. Any other brand of coated string seems to go dead in less than 1/3 the time (and uncoated are pretty much shot after 2-3 plays).

For me, I pull up the high e string and check underneath. You'll see when the strings are going bad that they get tarnished spots under the part of the string that goes over your frets. I can get away with about two months of daily play (maybe an hour?) this way. If I'm not recording or playing out with the guitar, I can leave 'em on for a couple months more but they definately start to sound funny.
                      I should have mentioned in my post that Elixirs still are the longest lasting of the big 3
                      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I’ve moved to Optiweb, brighter than Nanoweb.
                        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

In all honesty, the only time I use Elixirs is when I'm going to sell a guitar. I put them on when I post a sale, and leave them on... at that point I've "divorced" myself from the guitar. I also throw a set in the case for the sale. It's funny how a few cheap sets of strings for $3 each from wishdot sells a guitar. Personally, I hate them, they have those little "hairs" that form on where the frets are. Where I live, they cost about $16 a set, in a country where the min wage is less than $5 per hour. I change my super slinky strings at least once a week

Comment

(and uncoated are pretty much shot after 2-3 plays).
                            Isn't that more commonly called breaking them in

I hate that new string "zing "
                            "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                            Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

I know a local gigging guy (hair metal style, so lots of whammy solos) who changes them every 3rd show. He likes that his tone never changes at all.

I use balls or boomers, depending on the guitar/pickups. I like the tone best after an hour or two,,,,,,and they're good for a few more at least.
                              Last edited by dave74; 05-24-2020, 02:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X