Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How often do you change your Elixers?

Default Re: How often do you change your Elixers?

Wow. It takes me 1-1/2 minutes to get the first string off.

Mojo's Minions

Quote Originally Posted by TMD View Post
    Wow. It takes me 1-1/2 minutes to get the first string off.
    Tell me about it.

Funny aside. I flew up for a friends show in NYC last year at a big venue -them opening for a legendary band on a tour -so it was a big deal for him to support this band for several weeks on the east coast leg. Anyways, they were touring as the opener without a guitar tech to save money, and just having multiple guitars ready during the show and borrowing the guitar tech of the headlining band between shows if they needed something big.

So when I came up, he was like "-cool you can be my guitar tech tonight"

Anyways -most of the set complete, it's going really well -place is sold out and they are having a great time -he breaks a string on his guitar and passes the guitar to me between songs -as I pass him another one ready to go and he whispers "I gotta have this guitar back for the next song man, these other guitars won't work for it"

So, I know it's only one string, but we hadn't plan to change any strings during the show and it was one of those clubs where you can see the side stage in full detail. So in under 3:00 minutes, I had to scramble through several guitar cases and amp cases to find a B string and then change it, stretch it, tune it up several times -which while everyones being entertained by my panic -just isn't that easy.

It must of looked like a combination of Benny Hill and the Swedish Chef on the muppets to the crowd -but I made it with seconds to spare -sweating bullets -and after the show several random people complimented me on the fast action -as they could tell we were scrambling in unplanned fashion.
    Last edited by NegativeEase; 05-25-2020 at 05:20 AM.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Mojo's Minions

I was introduced to Elixirs when I bought my Taylor 710CE. I gave up on them for several reasons. The Elixirs have higher tension than same-gauge D'Addarios, and I was breaking them. The D'Addarios simply sounded better. They cost less, and the EXPs lasted just as long.

The reality for me is that I play hard and the strings get divots in them. So about 20 to 25 hours of sofa playtime, or 15 to 20 hours of gig time is about the maximum I can get out of a set, coated or uncoated.

Bill
    When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.