Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Considering purchasing a Charvel Guitar (MX). Should I put the trigger or not?

  1. #1
    Ultimate Tone Member OsvyRock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    510

    Default Considering purchasing a Charvel Guitar (MX). Should I put the trigger or not?

    Hello there! I'm daydreaming about purchasing a ESP E-II Eclipse Guitar with EMG 57/66 pickups, but found that Charvel has some guitars that could do the work for me at this current stage of my life.
    I'm interested in the following models:

    I'm considering the Charvel So-Cal Style 2 24-Fret Guitar Caramelized Maple Neck Ash Body:
    https://www.americanmusical.com/char...A-2966511-LIST
    The Hardtail Version of it
    https://www.americanmusical.com/pro-...HA-2966561-576
    DK 24 HSH
    https://www.americanmusical.com/char...HA-2969434-580

    The So-Cal 2 has Fishman Fluence Pickups, the DH 24: a Full Shred, a SSL-6, and an Alnico II Pro in the neck.

    Which would be your choice?

    My guitars in my homeland are a Gibson Flying V with Super Distortion/PAF Pro, Gibson SG Standard with 498T/490R, Squier Strat with TB-4, STK-S7, STK-S6, DBZ Bolero with SH-5/59n' combo. My favorite ones are the Flying V, the DBZ, and the Squier. If it takes me somewhere near or above it, it would be amazing!
    Is purchasing one of these guitars worth it or should I pass? Which are other similarly priced options?
    Check out my solo singer/songwriter/guitarist work on Facebook!
    Follow Me on Twitter!

  2. #2
    Sock Market Trader GuitarStv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    15,946

    Default Re: Considering purchasing a Charvel Guitar (MX). Should I put the trigger or not?

    I'd go with the DK. Tele body shape (lower horn specifically) makes it extremely hard to play the upper frets, and I assume you want to play 'em if you're going with a 24 fret guitar. HSH is a very versatile pickup combo to run as well.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

  3. #3
    Ultimate Tone Slacker TMD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Extolling the virtues of shower radios.
    Posts
    1,547

    Default Re: Considering purchasing a Charvel Guitar (MX). Should I put the trigger or not?

    And that orange looks rad.

  4. #4
    Super Simonologist JOLLY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Shockahville, USA
    Age
    53
    Posts
    47,305

    Default Re: Considering purchasing a Charvel Guitar (MX). Should I put the trigger or not?

    I have a few Charvel San Dimas models and I love them. However, I've read that a lot of those Charvels that you posted have tuning issues. Do a Google search for it.

  5. #5
    Ultimate Tone Member OsvyRock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    510

    Default Re: Considering purchasing a Charvel Guitar (MX). Should I put the trigger or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarStv View Post
    I'd go with the DK. Tele body shape (lower horn specifically) makes it extremely hard to play the upper frets, and I assume you want to play 'em if you're going with a 24 fret guitar. HSH is a very versatile pickup combo to run as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by TMD View Post
    And that orange looks rad.
    Quote Originally Posted by JOLLY View Post
    I have a few Charvel San Dimas models and I love them. However, I've read that a lot of those Charvels that you posted have tuning issues. Do a Google search for it.
    I'm with you guys! Orange looks amazing and I would love to own a HSH someday. I have considered the Telecaster shaped one due to it having Fishman Fluence Pickups, three voices, and because I desire a Telecaster shaped Deluxe style guitar. The compound radius thing is intriguing too! How does it feels like?

    Also, thank you JOLLY for notifying about the tuning issues. I didn't know about that! I see that it could be the string trees, the posts or the material in the bridge. Damn! This makes the decision kinda tricky then. I would go with the So Cal 2 instead of the DK because of that. Is there another cool guitar near this price range $800 - $1,000 that it would be cool to have?
    Check out my solo singer/songwriter/guitarist work on Facebook!
    Follow Me on Twitter!

  6. #6
    Mojo's Minions dystrust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    West St. Paul, MN
    Age
    39
    Posts
    4,866

    Default Re: Considering purchasing a Charvel Guitar (MX). Should I put the trigger or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by OsvyRock View Post
    The compound radius thing is intriguing too! How does it feels like?
    My Charvels are older, but still have the compound radius. Honestly I can't say that I notice much while playing; it just feels comfortable regardless of where you are on the neck. That being said, If you like rounded 7.25" radius, you'll hate playing a Charvel.
    Quote Originally Posted by crusty philtrum View Post
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

  7. #7
    Mojo's Minions devastone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Longmont, CO, USA
    Posts
    6,128

    Default Re: Considering purchasing a Charvel Guitar (MX). Should I put the trigger or not?

    I've looked at those too and was very leary of tuning stability. A full floating non-locking bridge that stays in tune is a tricky thing and needs to be dialed in carefully. And yes, when I noticed those string trees I thought, that will never work, and if the nuts aren't carefully cut and filed, which on a $1k guitar I doubt there is a lot of fine tuning off the floor.

    For vibrato acrobatics nothing beats a Floyd or other good locking system (the IBZ Edge is my favorite). I think the black ash 24 fret tele body if killer though, and almost jumped at it when they came out, but it won't stay in tune it will just be an exercise in frustration.

  8. #8
    Administrator Mincer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Tampa Bay area, Florida, USA
    Posts
    26,082

    Default Re: Considering purchasing a Charvel Guitar (MX). Should I put the trigger or not?

    Well done compound radii should really be invisible to the player. You don't realize that something like that can make a big difference in the feel of a neck.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

    My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

    Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

  9. #9
    Ultimate Tone Member OsvyRock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    510

    Default Re: Considering purchasing a Charvel Guitar (MX). Should I put the trigger or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by devastone View Post
    I've looked at those too and was very leary of tuning stability. A full floating non-locking bridge that stays in tune is a tricky thing and needs to be dialed in carefully. And yes, when I noticed those string trees I thought, that will never work, and if the nuts aren't carefully cut and filed, which on a $1k guitar I doubt there is a lot of fine tuning off the floor.

    For vibrato acrobatics nothing beats a Floyd or other good locking system (the IBZ Edge is my favorite). I think the black ash 24 fret tele body if killer though, and almost jumped at it when they came out, but it won't stay in tune it will just be an exercise in frustration.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mincer View Post
    Well done compound radii should really be invisible to the player. You don't realize that something like that can make a big difference in the feel of a neck.
    True! I know it's going to be different but what about the Fender Player Series? I heard good things about them and saw them on the wall, but never played them. Always wanted to go full USA, but I believe something more intermediate would do at the current time. PS. My Squier is my best Strat! Totally modified, but still a Squier.

    I want this one. Would miss the humbucker sound, but I plan to play thru my computer (BIAS or Amplitube) until I get more money.
    https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...#productDetail
    Check out my solo singer/songwriter/guitarist work on Facebook!
    Follow Me on Twitter!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •