Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do you think of 9-46 sets on 24-3/4" scale guitars in standard tuning?

Default Re: What do you think of 9-46 sets on 24-3/4" scale guitars in standard tuning?

Name:  Gibson BFG Gator.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  92.6 KB

Default Re: What do you think of 9-46 sets on 24-3/4" scale guitars in standard tuning?

Quote Originally Posted by ehdwuld View Post
    Naw
    It's the S series
    Studio Custom
    Swamp ash body
    Maple neck
    Dots and skinny headstock with silkscreen logo
    I really liked those too. Almost got one on closeout special a while back. Decided to go for something else instead.

Quote Originally Posted by TMD View Post
    Name:  Gibson BFG Gator.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  92.6 KB
    That's the one. BFG Gator. I wanted to convert to standard wiring, standard nickel hardware, and standard black knobs, and put on pickup covers, and a pickup ring for the humbucker. I just liked the finish, the plain neck, and the green Gibson inlay.
    Quote Originally Posted by LesStrat View Post
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by JOLLY View Post
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Mojo's Minions

I use Fender Super Bullets, 9-42, on my G&Ls with the DF Vibrato. Other Fender scale guitars with hard tails, like my Music Man Sabre IIs also get 9-42s, D'Addario XLs.

My Gibsons as a rule get D'Addario XL 10-46, but I have four Les Pauls that seem to do better with 9-46. Everything just seems to fall into place. It's a bit strange, but perhaps not, as the original factory strings on my two late-'90s 1960 Classics were Les Paul Signature strings...in 9-46 gauge. Two others seemed to resist 10-46 sets, and play better with the hybrids. I don't really understand why.

I used to use EB Skinny Top Heavy Bottom on my old 1960 Strat in the 1970s. I was playing mostly rhythm then, so it was a reasonable choice.

Bill
    When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

dadgummit
    now this shows up in my YouTube feed

EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Wow, 2 Les Pauls in one thread that I knew nothing about! I learned something, today!
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by ehdwuld View Post
    dadgummit
    now this shows up in my YouTube feed

I didn't watch the video, but it looks like that person had a lot of the same ideas for mods that I had. Adding classic Les Paul plastic parts, changing the knobs. But he or she didn't cover the P90, and didn't change out the black hardware like I wanted to do. And I would have gone for black plastic, not cream.
    Quote Originally Posted by LesStrat View Post
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by JOLLY View Post
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

I've tried 9-46 on Gibson scale before and it was alright. I prefer 10-46 though. That set feels more balanced to me.

I like 10-52 in D standard on 24Ύ. Similar in tension to 09-46 in E but with a bit more mass and grip. I like .0095-.048 for standard tuning. I set up "even" and "hybrid/lthb" a bit differently so that either feels reasonably balanced to me.

Quote Originally Posted by vinta9e View Post
    I like 10-52 in D standard on 24Ύ. Similar in tension to 09-46 in E but with a bit more mass and grip. I like .0095-.048 for standard tuning. I set up "even" and "hybrid/lthb" a bit differently so that either feels reasonably balanced to me.
    I also use 10-52 in D and the tension is a lot lower actually. I've been meaning to go to a higher gauge for that one to match the feel of 9-46 in E.

It's funny though, I had 10-48 in E on one guitar and 10-52 in D on the other, and I was worried that 9-46 in E would be too loose, only to realize it's still much tighter than the guitar in D.

So you could probably go to 8's or maybe 8.5's (if that exists) for E if you like 10-52 in D.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

DR Tite Fits... 11-50 on Gibson scale for both standard and Eb. I could get used to 10s, but my pick hand would probably go to hell on something as flimsy as a 9.
    Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom 5/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Crazy 8/Cool Rails, Custom 5/Phat Cat, SP90-1/SP90-2, SHPR-1b/SHPR-1n, SMB-5D

Mojo's Minions

Does a bear sh*t in the woods?

not my first choice (I like 10-46 or 11-52 because I'm hard on a guitar and like the tension and push back)

but 9-46 maybe the most or second most preferred setup for standard tuning 24 3/4.

I mean, millions have played this setup -it can't be a poor choice. go for it.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Ultimate Tone Slacker Metalman_666's Avatar

9s feel too loose for me on 24.75", but if I were to stop playing for months and then wanted to refine my fret hand technique again, I could do that for a few weeks until I got it back. Then back up to roughly 10-50 which feels great!

When I am really well practiced and doing a string of gigs, I would go as far as 11s in E on 25.5" fixed bridge guitar.

In my playing infancy I discovered light strings and I had a set of 9-50 on an Ibanez SZ520, 25.5" scale. Then I got this bright idea to tune it down to C# standard - it was like playing tinny spaghetti but sounded cool!

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk
    • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
    • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
    • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
    • G&L Tribute Comanche
    • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
    • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
    • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

My D-standard setups are now 10-50 at 25.5", and 10.5-52 at 25"
    C#-standard at 25.5" is 10.5-52
    For Eb at 25.5" I'm using the new turbo slinky 9.5-46
    E = who needs it anyway lol