Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumb alert- did I kill my pickup?

Hey all,

I was going through the parts drawer an found a Fender CS69. It was under something and one of the poles was out of place(pushed down). I checked it through my meter and it was in its normal range for resistance. Alligator clipped it to a cable, it seeded to work. Brilliant me decides..... we’ll pushing the magnets must be okay in this pickup.... so I have it a modern radius... now it transmits signal (screwdriver taps) but the resistance is crazy high... 500K. I’m lost on how it’s transmitting signal if it’s internally cut... thoughts?

Thanks again.

Re: Dumb alert- did I kill my pickup?

Some pickups are ok with this...many are not. I don't think matching the radius is worth finding out which one you have.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

You broke the wire in the coil. They are wound around the magnets.

You might still get sound out of it due to mutual inductance (the current flowing in the coil makes current flow in adjacent turns of wire) but it might be very thin sounding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
        You broke the wire in the coil. They are wound around the magnets.

You might still get sound out of it due to mutual inductance (the current flowing in the coil makes current flow in adjacent turns of wire) but it might be very thin sounding.

My thought as well. This is really easy to do, and many have done it before, yet the 'push the poles' theory still exists out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          My thought as well. This is really easy to do, and many have done it before, yet the 'push the poles' theory still exists out there.
          If you have plastic bobbin Strat pickups you can push the poles.

Personally I think that whole vintage stagger thing is archaic and makes modern strings sound unbalanced.

Comment

Personally I think that whole vintage stagger thing is archaic and makes modern strings sound unbalanced.

But I like to solo on G string, so vintage stagger is perfect

Roy Buchanan made career with a tele that had broken coil, but I woulnd't recommend that...
            "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
            Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

I agree with this. 'Tradition' is a hard thing to kick in the guitar universe, though. I always buy flat poles unless there isn't a choice and I absolutely have to have one (the Five Two is like that).

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                I agree with this. 'Tradition' is a hard thing to kick in the guitar universe, though. I always buy flat poles unless there isn't a choice and I absolutely have to have one (the Five Two is like that).
                I don’t do traditional.

Look! No poles! [emoji16] (it’s a dual blade humbucker)

Comment

Working...
                X